My first saltwater tank

No not particularly. I did get a small diatom bloom from switching to new sand, but that's winding down now. Combination of "excessive" water changes, a mag float, and the recently added clean up crew solved that problem.

However, since I've been using nonRODI water I have had a small amount of hair algae. The clean up crew made short work of that, and I'm sure the few remaining patches will be eliminated soon. I've also started using a phospate removing pad in the filter, even though my phospates are fairly low from the tap to begin with.

Update! Did some rearranging, and added some new inhabitants. I was given a beautiful piece of LR that is just covered in life- tubeworms, brittlestars, tons of Pods, few different types of worms...it also had a massive colony of Pulsing Xenia in a lovely shade of red. It looks really nice with my purple pulsing xenia (sidenote, if you're wondering why they are called pulsing xenia, youtube it. my daughter calls them grabby hands  :lol: ).

Once I had it in place I noticed that it had 2 mushroom corals on it too! The only downside.... a single head of dreaded aiptasia. So I also placed 2 peppermint shrimp in there too, and theyve made short work of the aiptasia. A few days later I added a tiger pistol shrimp and what I had assumed was a Randalls Goby, but is actually an Aurora Goby. After a few days of exploring and pissing off the clowns, the tiger made a lovely little burrow right in the front of the tank. I'm hoping that the Goby pairs up with him soon. Anyways, pictures:

ROIuECf.jpg

GS3ZaMO.jpg