My first saltwater tank

So I've getting a BioCube from one of my coworkers for free! It's fully cycled and I believe it has one clown in there.

Anyways, I have no idea where to start. Anyone have an good resources to read?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Congrats on the new tank!  :cheers: 

Always have been interested in saltwater but too afraid to try. With freshwater you can fix just about anything with a quick easy water change. With salt you need to think it through a bit more and either make your own water ahead or go and buy it. Very interested to see what you do, keep us posted.

BallardFishGuy

bronzefighter said:
So I've getting a BioCube from one of my coworkers for free! It's fully cycled and I believe it has one clown in there.

Anyways, I have no idea where to start. Anyone have an good resources to read?
There is a wealth of information over at Reef Central (New to the Hobby Forum) and also Nano-Reef has a great there just about BioCubes.  I used to own one myself, but I sold it and bought a JBJ 28 Nano Cube Pro Led for my salt tank.

Good luck and keep us updated!  :D

So I've been doing some reading, and I have a question for anyone out there. With our quality of water here, is an RODI unit totally necessary? It'd be a pain to purchase a system for only a few gallons every week.

BallardFishGuy

Yeah I hear you there... the first time I had a tank I didn't use one because I couldn't get a hold of one very easily. Our water in Seattle is very good with very low TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) but still you are asking for more bad algae outbreaks and problems without the filter. I bought my most recent one on Craigslist after a few months of searching for a good used one.

A

Anonymous

Nice one, bronzefighter. Lucky. Someday after more research I will do a nano saltwater reef tank. So jelly of you. Keep us updated with pictures.  :spoton: 

zach_discus

For a Nano, I would not spend the $$$ for a RO/DI unit. Many pet stores sell RO or Pre-mixed Saltwater at a price that is reasonable.

Gryphon

Reef Frontiers is a local SW forum that is pretty good. If you're looking to go for the long haul in SW might consider joining the PSAS.

Denizaari

If you need to buy any salt items, call me first. I have a ton of it. Buffers, additives and food. It's super cheap and better to save the money!!!

Alright, just picked it up and finished setting it up!

WiDoEd2.jpg

Swung by Petco on the way home and picked up a hydrometer and that piece of liverock in the middle there.

Currently has a fire clownfish and dottyback. I'm fairly certain those are pretty aggressive fish so I'm gonna try and rehome them or trade them or something.

To Do:

I want to replace the sand with some lighter oolite sand

get more live rock

get more invertabrates

get rid of those 2 fish

get some easy corals

A

Anonymous

:suspect: - Ill be watching this thread very closely...

Neat new project bronzefighter. I have a small itch to dabble in saltwater and corals. Thank you for sharing this experience with us!

A

Anonymous

fishNAbowl said:
:suspect: - Ill be watching this thread very closely...

Neat new project bronzefighter. I have a small itch to dabble in saltwater and corals. Thank you for sharing this experience with us!
 :iagree:  My last tank to do! Saltwater.

gobluecichlids

sometimes an used RO/DI unit is not the best option. You'll need to get new filters and membrane for it. All these together probably cost as much for a new unit. I got my new RO unit on Ebay

BallardFishGuy

I bought my RODI unit on Craigslist and it was about 6 months old and still had zero TDS coming out so good to go for me...luckily our water in the PNW is generally really good already so that helps the membranes from running out so quickly.  If you live near a LFS selling salt water that would be a good option until you can invest in an RODI.  My first salt tank in Seattle I bought my water from the Seattle Aquarium which for a coral tank isn't really recommended but probably better than tap water and instant ocean salt.

A

Anonymous

Is it really hard to keep saltwater like what other people saying. Especially a nano or just 30gal and below. What is your experience with saltwater, BallardFishGuy

Thanks! I'm pumped to start this build and see where it goes. Yesterday I managed to find someone who would take the fish in exchange for some cured liverock. Since there was no livestock in the tank I took that time to switch out the sand for some Caribsea Aragonite Oolite. Sidenote, I love this stuff, extremely soft, looks great, helps buffer the water. I use it in my malawi tank too. Anyways, now to wait for the inevitable mini-cycle, then grab a bit of a cleanup crew.

Z2a545D.jpg

PAgky3g.jpg

Still looking at RODI and my options. In the meantime I just grabbed a premade bucket of water.

SiRWesDragon said:
Is it really hard to keep saltwater like what other people saying. Especially a nano or just 30gal and below. What is your experience with saltwater, BallardFishGuy
From my experience (all 3 days of it!  :lol!: ) and research, it's not necessarily 'harder,' as it is more involved. I'm so spoiled by my planted tanks, where I just throw some food in there, maybe some ferts, maybe do a water change every few weeks. I don't need to keep track of my water params, because the plants and everything are at a point where everything is pretty much stable.