My First planted Tank in Progress..... (Photo heavy)

Mike16T

Tank = 15 Gallon rimless AquaPro
Substrate = ADA Ammazonia
Rocks = Seiryu

Plants:
- Anubias Nana
- Anubias congensis mini
- Trident Java Fern
- Java Moss
- Bucephalandra Blue leaf mini
- Pogostemon helferi
- Micranthemum Monte Carlo
- Rotala macrandra mini pink
- Hydorcotyle leucocephala
- Staurogyne repen

20160321_185813.jpg
20160321_201137.jpg
20160321_201142.jpg
20160321_201153.jpg
20160321_201205.jpg
20160321_201225.jpg

I ran out of Pogostemon helferi and Micranthemum Monte Carlo.. I ordered more..

................. and Disaster happened! Driftwood floated when I fill the tank with water. I though I secured it properly (Really do). Found out that there is a dome space under the wood. Air gets trap there during water fill up caused the wood to float.

20160322_170530.jpg
Had to take everything out! QQQQQQ
I hate this part so BAD.. I had to work with mud!!

So...... I went to local counter top and kitchen cabinet stores and got a free scrap granite.

20160322_170539.jpg
This sucker is not going anywhere! :ninja:ninja:ninja

20160322_170548.jpg

And the waiting game begins.......:D:D:D:D
20160322_220551.jpg

Last edited:

Betty

Staff member
It looked great in the first photo! The last one -- :rolleyes:. Bet it'll be nice when it settles.

Mike16T

It looked great in the first photo! The last one -- :rolleyes:. Bet it'll be nice when it settles.
Hehehe... Yah I cant wait.. I tried aquascaping it the same as the first one but.. There are some changes but hopefully it will look good specially once the foreground plants spread out... =)

Loren

Thanks for sharing your disaster with us. It makes my forgetting to unplug my under gravel powerhead before removing the reentry tube trivial. On the other hand the temporary geyser effect was quite impressive.

Mike16T

Thanks for sharing your disaster with us. It makes my forgetting to unplug my under gravel powerhead before removing the reentry tube trivial. On the other hand the temporary geyser effect was quite impressive.

It was a nightmare working with wet/muddy ADA substrate... -_-

Tank is clear now. Will post an update probably next week. Waiting for the "Monte Carlos" to spread more. Some of the main stems died off but new ones are starting to sprout out of the substrate already... =)

Loren

I can't wait to see some photos. Your original one was quite impressive and worthy of a youtube "how to" video.

Mike16T

I can't wait to see some photos. Your original one was quite impressive and worthy of a youtube "how to" video.

Thank you sir.. I tried to make it the same as the first design but couldn't get to it. But I think the new one is still good and made some slight changes... ^_^

Will update soon once everything is fully settled. Corys and rummynose tetras are swimming around a lot. haha..

Also, battling a very small amount of green slime algae (starting to bloom) -_- . I went to a 3 days business trip and asked my wife to take care of the feeding. I specifically instructed her to feed them very lightly, guess what, overfed and the night I went home, I saw the green slime algae due to a lot of organic stuff (Uneaten food). =(

Mike16T

20160418_160754_zpscgkersre.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] 1 month old update. =)20160418_160754.jpg

Mike16T

Still battling algae but it got lesser now after 4 days after dosing with Excel. Light is also cut to 8 hours a day.

Mike16T

Just waiting for the nesaea pedicellata gold. It's going to be on the background on the right side of the intake. =)

Bob

I wish you the best of luck with you nesaea pedicellata golden. Hopefully you are getting it from a hobbyist grown submersed and not a store. If from a store it will be from Florida Aquatic nursery, and i can almost guarantee it will melt. It's actually been reclassified as Ammannia pedicellata golden. Ammannia being one of the hardest species of plants to grow. If it doesnt work out and you want the same orange/golden look. Try and get a hold of cuphea anagalloidea. Same-ish color but shorter round leaves. I have a few stems i have been holding onto for when i set up my 22 long rimless.
770_0.jpg

Mike16T

I wish you the best of luck with you nesaea pedicellata golden. Hopefully you are getting it from a hobbyist grown submersed and not a store. If from a store it will be from Florida Aquatic nursery, and i can almost guarantee it will melt. It's actually been reclassified as Ammannia pedicellata golden. Ammannia being one of the hardest species of plants to grow. If it doesnt work out and you want the same orange/golden look. Try and get a hold of cuphea anagalloidea. Same-ish color but shorter round leaves. I have a few stems i have been holding onto for when i set up my 22 long rimless.
770_0.jpg
I see... well hopefully it wont melt... You just made me scared!! =(

Loren

Very impressive recovery for just one month. Keep it up and you can send us photos from Europe next year during one of their annual competitions.

Mike16T

Very impressive recovery for just one month. Keep it up and you can send us photos from Europe next year during one of their annual competitions.
I dont about competition photos... hahahha... i think vicmacki's planted tanks are much better looking than mine... hahahaa... im a nooby for planted tanks man... Really trying hard to learn though... been doing a lot research before i buy plants and livestock.. =)

We'll see how much people will accept and like my tank once the tank is fully matured..

Last edited:

Mike16T

Where did you get it from?
I got it from rolando perez. And yes it is from florida. I did saw the plant at Sierra fish also and it looks really healthy. Well hopefully it wont melt.... =(

I got 6 bunch for $20. Not planning to use all 6 bunch, if anyone wants the extra ones that im not using, let me know...

Bob

What you are seeing at Sierra fish is probably the emersed leaves. I always ask how long the plants have been in the tank so i know if its submersed or emersed.