Marineland Stealth Pro Heater Alert

dkpate

E-mail that was sent to a fellow member on another forum.

"February 11, 2011

Dear Valued PetSmart Pet Parent,

Marineland has issued a voluntary withdrawal of the Stealth PRO Submersible Heater (100, 200 and 250 watt). The product is being withdrawn due to a quality issue.

If you have this product, please stop using it immediately and take the following steps:

1. Unplug the heater from the wall to stop the flow of electricity
2. Let the heater cool for 15 minutes
3. Remove the heater from the tank

Please bring the product to your closest PetSmart for a full refund or exchange. Replace the product with a comparable heater as soon as possible to maintain the temperature of your aquarium. A PetSmart store associate can help you select the right heater for your aquatic environment.

If you have questions about this withdrawal, please call Marineland Customer Service at 800-526-0650 or 800-432-6986.

At PetSmart, we are concerned pet parents, too. We will continue to do everything we can to help you and your pet during this time.

Sincerely,

Debbie Gonzalez
Vice President, Brand and Customer Marketing

Spyral

Rattle mentioned this last week. I have always used these heaters without incident. In fact, I have a 75 that is in use right now, but doesn't seem to be involved in the recall. I wonder?

dkpate

As far as I can tell, it is only the ones that have the red/green light on top, but I am going to PetSmart tomorrow for some Prime, so I will ask them about it, and get back to you guys and gals.

Also, I have had 3 of their heaters crap out on me, and only got one replaced, since I thought they would think I was scamming them if I kept calling, since you don't have to send the old heater back in.

larry.beck

I've been using these exclusively, and currently have them on 12 tanks in my house. I've had some die, but never had one stick "on" unlike other brands. I also just called in to have 2 replaced under warranty on Thursday and Marineland didn't mention that they were discontinuing them, but mention that they were out of stock and I could either have Visitherm units shipped immediately or wait about 2 weeks for the Stealth Pro's to be available.

dkpate

On another forum, it was posted that a lady heard the PetSmart employees talking about it yesterday. I am going there tomorrow and I will ask.

I had one overheat, and 2 quit working, all in a years time. :( Only the ones that were glass or had the red/green light, not the ones with the red dial.

protocl

Just spoke with a petsmart manager in tukwila.

Return heater unit in original packaging at the same store originally purchased from.
Most if not Petsmart is participating with this recall.

Fyurae

I need a different heater for my 30 gallon. It has a 100w that came with the package setup which is laughable, even to keep the tank at 'room' temperature.

larry.beck

Went to the Petco in Poulsbo and inquired. Not only have they never heard of the recall, they are actually still selling a variety of the units in the store.

sidekicking

ah your right
my stealth heaters are working perfectly at the moment
it would suck if I bring a new heater home and messes everything up

hbluehunter

That sucks i have 1 dead one and one half way dead one that i bought from petsmart and i have no box or anything.. :( I'll have to call marineland and see what they want to do for me being i don't have all the packaging.
Just in case the other blows i just grabbed a trusty ole 300w Ebo Jaegar from Dr Fosters, that's the one heater i've never had a problem with.. :) Spendy but i guess you get what you pay for. :)

dkpate

They didn't say anything about the packaging when I asked, but I was wondering about that too. I guess I will find out today! I threw all the boxes away when I moved, thinking I wouldn't need them. :( I suppose I should just stay a hoarder....*sigh*
I have 5 heaters to return, should be fun....

Kianna

I've been following this marineland thing for a while. I've returned 10 heaters or so over this last year....visi-therms, pros and stealths. Marineland has been great each time but I'm starting to get tired of all the hassles.

Plus look what has happened to others...

1. LIKE THIS

2. READ THIS !

protocl

Well...being a 'hoarder' is not all bad! Lol
members should try returning the units without packaging. A volatile unit is a VOLATILE unit, with or without packaging.

dkpate

I talked to a girl at PetSmart on the phone, and she said it doesn't have to have the packaging, but she seemed to think it was only the Stealth Pro's that have the red/green indicator light, not the ones with just the red dial.

larry.beck

The ones with the red dial and no light were the original Stealths.... I've got one of those that came with a used tank that still keeps the temps within .5 degree +/-. Beautiful!