low light plant list

EllensburgWA

pbmax said:
I use dual-socket perfecto "incandescent" fixtures over my 10g tanks with coil-style Bright Effects 6500K bulbs - 2 per fixture.
Only a few people figure this out. It is so common to do a search on t5's and find a fixture with bulb for $100. People are getting ripped off. But few people like you observe that the same quality and quantity can be had for a fifth of the price - and use the money to buy more fish! :eek:

pbmax

Yeah, searches for lighting related stuff turns up lots of weed sites. I'm not terribly enthusiastic about those popping up when I do searches from work over lunch ;)

There is definitely something to be said for T5 lighting - much more light gets into the tank. I run a 30" Quad T5HO fixture over my 29g tank - it's a lot of light and the plants grow very well in there. Unfortunately, coralife doesn't publish lumen ratings for its bulbs - fail. And they're the only folks that make 30" T5HO bulbs.

I do like something with a lot of bang for the buck, but I also like the elegance of a good fixture with nice bulbs. It's a toss-up...

flo77

@EllensburgWA: I'm really impressed with what you have posted lately. Your progress is remarcable: from some hilarious postings you ended up bringing valuable information to the forum.
The best thing you did today was to edit/erase your first controversial post. The second best thing is to edit this post

Subject: Re: low light plant list Yesterday at 7:42 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

flo77 wrote:
Quote:
Example, I can but a '200 watt' light bulb over my tank putting out warm white light (actually 1,000k)

Wow! A 1000K bulb. Please let me know where you can buy a bulb rated 1000k. I'll try it over my shallow tanks.

MOST incandescent bulbs produce K values of 2000k (warm white light). But they do in fact go lower. K values under 1000k are infrared lights. You can buy them. So go ahead and try them over your shallow tank. The result will be death of the plant from heat. You can even go lower to a single K. We call it microwave. You can even go lower to what we call radio waves
I'll give you some reasons why. When you wrote that post is obvious that you couldn't tell the difference between light and electromagnetic radiation. Also you probably didn't know what is the color temperature and what what is used for. Extending the bondaries is ridiculous and unreallistic. Fortunately you stayed in the electromagnetic waves domain and didn't tell us what is the color temperature of your voice. Anyway thank you for your valuable advice: I won't put an antenna, magnetron nor a speaker above my aquarium and try to grow plants.
Also you need to make your mind: 1000K means warm white(as you said in your first post) or infrared spectrum as you said in your next post. Or maybe is a red bulb...
And by the way, there is another thing you need to edit: on your bill from your Electric Company you don't pay the Power(watts). I know it's not your fault, you just copied and pasted that one(yes I've noticed same mistake in an old article about watts/lumens/PAR).
In the future I'm sure that you can find some interesting articles about chlorophylle absorbtion, red and blue spectrum and their advantages and share the information with us.