LOVE THOSE LOACHES

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Tough call. Are the fishes you received juveniles? I don't know the first thing about loaches, but with cichlids trying to identify species based on juvenile patterns and colors is an exercise in futility. But cool fishes either way... :thumbsup

Madness

Staff member
@fishguy1978 & @DMD123
I agree with 3 as well because of the dorsal spot.
And yes D that is the color at this time, kinda silverish white. If they are #3 they will eventually turn a pearlescent gold with green bars, I am going to order more because the wet spot is selling them at a huge discount because they are identified incorrectly.

Madness

Staff member
Well heck, it has been a few months since i posted on this tank. I currently have around 50 or so loaches in here. Newest addition species is the Yasuhikotakia Splendida. Not a cheap loach. All seem to be doing well and active.

again i wish that i could post a video without posting to YouTube first :mad:
20211122_161450.jpg
20211202_150445.jpg20211202_145939.jpg20211202_150150.jpg20211202_150047.jpg

Madness

Staff member
One year later and the loaches have a new home. They are enjoying the open space with the cichlids in the 600. Still have 30 or so, these are pricing to be a tough fish to keep alive. I have learned that they really need clean, clean water or they stress easily and then they start to go down hill.

Next week i will be finally getting my hands on 14 of the Berdmorei straight from Asia, heading to Bonney Lake to pick up some Modestas and lots of spider wood. Screenshot_20221224_090323_Messenger.jpgScreenshot_20221224_090209_Messenger.jpg

If any of you are at your LFSs and you happen to see any larger skunk loaches, please let me know. :)

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
One year later and the loaches have a new home. They are enjoying the open space with the cichlids in the 600. Still have 30 or so, these are pricing to be a tough fish to keep alive. I have learned that they really need clean, clean water or they stress easily and then they start to go down hill.

Next week i will be finally getting my hands on 14 of the Berdmorei straight from Asia, heading to Bonney Lake to pick up some Modestas and lots of spider wood. View attachment 12298View attachment 12299

If any of you are at your LFSs and you happen to see any larger skunk loaches, please let me know. :)
Do skunk loaches go by the name of red tailed botia loaches too?