LOVE THOSE LOACHES

Madness

Staff member
So I currently have 35 or so clown loaches will eventually end up in one of the show tanks. But I really miss my Tigers of TERROR tank. Which consisted of the Syncrossus and Yasuhikotakia species. All of these species are considered the most aggressive loaches. I will be getting 10 Syncrossus Helode and 10 of the Yasuhikotakia Modesta on Tuesday.

I still need to find some of the Berdmorei and the Morleti which are 2 of the easier species to find, but would love to pick up any of the species in these 2 families. Let me know if any of you see any. :)

pictures are not mineModesta.jpg Helode.jpg

Berdmorei
Berdmorei.jpg

Morleti

Morleti.jpg

Betty

Staff member
Nice. I used to have the morleti. They would sometimes race around the tank making a clicking sound. First time I heard it, I thought something was tapping on the tank glass.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Nice. I used to have the morleti. They would sometimes race around the tank making a clicking sound. First time I heard it, I thought something was tapping on the tank glass.

Do dojo loaches do the clicking sound too? I have my 29g tanks on a racks and am always hearing a clicking sound from their tank.

Betty

Staff member
Do dojo loaches do the clicking sound too? I have my 29g tanks on a racks and am always hearing a clicking sound from their tank.
Not sure but I believe clown loaches make sounds, so it wouldn't surprise me if the dojo do as well.

Madness

Staff member
So far "The Loaches of TERROR" tank I have 10 of the Syncrossus helodes, 10 of the Yasuhikotakia modesta, 10 of the Yasuhikotakia lecontei and just ordered 10 of the Syncrossus Berdmorei. Will be getting 10 of the Yasuhikotakia morleti (skunk loach) as soon as I can find them. The Wet Spot has the Yasuhikotakia Splendida which is a more rare species for $25 ea. Would love to get some but that price is tuff.

Madness

Staff member
Received the berdmorei yesterday from aquariumfish.net. very please with the service though no human interaction was involved, i got what i wanted and a free fish (sending u a free fish is in their policy). Packaging was perfect though they used staples on the bags instead of rubber bands. To me some look a lot like the helode, but we will see once they are comfortable. 20210203_184508.jpg 20210203_184450.jpg

Madness

Staff member
The loaches and my"LOACHES OF TERROR" tank are doing great. Just wish i could post videos from my phone.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
The loaches and my"LOACHES OF TERROR" tank are doing great. Just wish i could post videos from my phone.
Unfortunately it’s not as easy with this new setup... gotta upload to YouTube first than copy and paste the link.

Madness

Staff member
10 more arrived today. This time is 10 of the Syncrossus Hymenophysa

Not my picture
Screenshot_20210527-152602_Google.jpg

Madness

Staff member
Picked up 11 more of the tiger loaches, sold as syncrossus Hymenophysa but not sure that they are all of any are that specie. I've noticed that every time i order a different listed specie, they arrive something other or a mix of them. I also picked up 4 more of the Yasuhikotakia eos. That brings my total to 44. I guess now that the pleco tank is complete, it's time to get crackalackin on the loach tank. Their temp tank is getting busy.

Madness

Staff member
Now that the pleco tank is complete, it is time to get the loach tank up and running.. i got the lights installed, the background, holes drilled for plumbing, Styrofoam in place and tank cleaned and set in place. This weekend i will drop in the substrate, caves and wood and fill with water. Should be able to release the loaches in there by weekends end. 20210610_170126.jpg20210610_170017.jpg

Madness

Staff member
The loach tank is in place and filled up to the drain bulk head. Still need to plumb and set up sump. But in mean time, i have a sponge filter in there. So far all look happy. 20210613_114743.jpg20210613_114816.jpg

Madness

Staff member
So i was notified by the wet spot that some loaches i have been looking for have come in, the Syncrossus Berdmorei (Pic is not mine)Screenshot_20210616-054434_Chrome.jpg

When i received the fish i was bummed and excited at the same time. The loaches that they have are not the Berdmorei but are possibly of the, yet to be named unknown, species. Bummed that they are not the pic above but excited that they are one of the pics below. (Pics not mine)Screenshot_20210616-054534_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210616-054414_Chrome.jpg

Here are the ones i received, you all tell me which of the pics above look like what i got. Let's just say that what i got, if i am correct, are far more expensive than what they were sold as.
20210615_154204.jpg20210615_154205.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I'm going to say #3 is most likely. #1 has the vertical baring but they appear to alternated with solid bars and broken broken bars where as #3 appears to present more consistent solid bars. But even then you have a mixed bag of stripes/bars. Hard to tell with the blue light though.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Are those stress colors or are they a white/silver with black stripes? Whatever the case, they are cool looking. If they were to color up some then I would agree with @fishguy1978, they look like #3