Lots of Pleco eggs !

Kianna

I thought it would be fun to try and sneak a peek into their caves....... :lol:

The first video is of my male albino bristlenose. He's about 14 months old and has been breeding every 3-4 weeks for several months now....so thats roughly 80 babies every month (he has 2 girls and I think you can see 2 separate egg piles). These eggs were laid last night.

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/d2_uIHcLlM0[/flash]

In this video is a male long fin bristlenose. He only has one girlfriend :cry: He's about 16 months old and this is his first batch of eggs. He doesn't seem to fan them as much as the other male but maybe that task is just more difficult for him.

The eggs aren't as easy to see cuz his cave sits back a ways from the front of the tank but these were laid 10/17 and should be hatching anytime now. I'm dying to see the long fin babies and how many are long finned vs short fin!

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/Kw_NHtIwFQg" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

Just for fun I'll keep ya updated as they hatch and fly the coop....I mean leave the cave! :9*:

Betty

Staff member
Cool videos. I wish I had an albino female of breeding size for my lonely male.

sandnuka

they look awesome! Im sorry I sold my Long fin albino BN pleco with my discus... :( .... I did keep a couple normal BN's, but they look to be both females.... :(

Salzabar

Nice to see the father fanning the eggs. I have never seen that before and its a treat to see it in action. Thank you for posting the videos Kianna. Well done.

Kianna

UPDATE

Thanks everyone!

Ok heres some updated videos. Please excuse the quality....I'm having a difficult time holding the flash light and the camera along with getting them directed in the right direction.....LOL

The albino babies hatched 10/25....so 2 days old. They basically look like an egg sack with a tail. They will stay in the cave and not eat (absorbing the egg sack)for about 5 days. Dad hasn't eaten for about 7-8 days already. He doesn't leave them at all.

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/NI_WmbwQFKs[/flash]

The LF babies hatched on 10/22 and heres a video of them at 2 days old.

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/BmdrkEQBpP4[/flash]

Heres another video of the LF babies at 5 days old. Looks like the egg sacks have been completely absorbed and they should be leaving the cave any time now in search of food. Notice they're all brown (mom is a brown LF).....I was really hoping some would be papa's color. :(

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/-VDWjB--AWY" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

Betty

Staff member
Very cool videos! I wish I could have found a female albino bristlenose -- I have four males, but I've been up to my eyeballs with regular bn pleco fry for so many months now. I need a break.

Kianna

Betty said:
Very cool videos! I wish I could have found a female albino bristlenose -- I have four males, but I've been up to my eyeballs with regular bn pleco fry for so many months now. I need a break.

LOL...I hear ya...they can be some breeding fools. I pull the caves when I need a break.....it kind of breaks up their rhythem. :D

Fern

Just so you know even long finned albino adults can throw short fins and regular colors, mine do from time to time.

Kianna

Fern said:
Just so you know even long finned albino adults can throw short fins and regular colors, mine do from time to time.

I've experienced the mixed colors before but not a mix of fin type in a spawn. How old are the fry before you can really tell if they're short or long finned? Are the long fins developed from the get go?

Fern

I can tell at 2-3 weeks old. The albinism and long fin are both recessive traits so if any of the other traits are left they will fight for dominance from time to time :lol:

Kianna

Heres some pics of the Albino (reg fin) dad and babies.... 14days old. Dads fanning at the cave entrance again.....meaning he's ready for more ! :)

Heres some pics of mom......shes fat and full of eggs again. Took these yesterday and there is now more eggs laid in the cave this morning.

Heres some pics from the long finned parents: the babies are about 17 days old !

Pic of mom...

Pics of babies...they all look like mom. They also look longer and thinner than the normal finned albinos I have.

Oooops dirty glass on this one but it shows the fins better.

Sometimes I look and I think the babies are long finned and sometimes I think the aren't. Maybe just some of them are and some aren't. What you guys think?

momsfishn

I think they are BEAUTIFUL! I think they have a lot of fin for 17 days old. But I've never raised any, just going by what other fry look like like at this age. :spoton:

Fern

They look to be all long fin, just some longer than others.

I love how the adults will let the youngsters sit on their head :p Its so cute!

hbluehunter

They are too cool looking, i wish i never would have sold my albino pair a few years back.. Just curious what size tank you keep these in for breeding ?? Or are they just in a community tank ??