Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I would say he is 2.5"

He was the largest they had.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I know many pleco seem to do just fine with no real wood in the tank and many dont require it. But my rhino did very well having a piece of mopani with in in the tank. I also added a little piece of Malaysian driftwood to the L114 tank. Sure enough he found it and hides under it instead of the lava rock cave he was in. I picked up a few different pieces of driftwood from The Wet Spot so that I can have at least one small piece in each tank. That way if another pleco catches my eye, Im ready.  :D 

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I had an open stump decoration and a piece of driftwood in one of my tanks and the bristlenose prefer the driftwood to all hang out on too. It seemms that even if its a small piece its good to have in the tanks.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My rhino can barely fit under the piece he has claimed as home but it seems plecos do better with a small chuck of wood of some sort.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I noticed last night that my piece of driftwood on the dark side where the plecos like to hide has some small, pin head sized, black balls of what appears to be algae or fungus. Do you have any idea of what that is, if I should treat it, and if so how to treat it?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I dont know. Could always pull the wood out and rinse it off.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I tried that when I had it in the tank before and even after being out of the tank for over a year the stuff has come back. I don't understand. I even boiled it before returning to the tank. I was worried it could be harmful to the fish.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Chiisai said:
How big do those guys get? I swear you guys are going to put a 125gal pleco tank in my head lol
I'm glad I'm not the only one whose considered doing something like this! lol

Madness

Staff member
Chiisai said:
I swear you guys are going to put a 125gal pleco tank in my head lol
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
To late, :)I beat you to it. :) But this doesn't mean that I have to be the only one that has a pleco tank. ;)

After I had to tear down 5 of my tanks due to my unfortunate house flood 2 months ago, (not tank related) I was left with, now that it is completely remodeled, what to put into them once I set them back up.  Well,  :cheers:  I decided to turn my 130 gallon in my bedroom into my Pleco/small breeding fish, fish tank.  

So the tank wood pile is 2' long x the width of the tank 18" x 30" tall.
pleco_10.jpg
" />

The other end is not completed yet.  I still need to add some silk plants and another pot, also need to throw in there a few pleco breeding caves.  

Here are a few, not very good phone pics. I currently have 21 plecos in here.  
para_l10.jpg
" />
goldie10.jpg
" />

Well, for whatever reason possibly the internet speed here at my condo in Reno, I cant load anymore pictures on here.

So now the urge is even greater, so get busy you 2 and get them pleco tanks started. :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Chiisai said:
How big do those guys get? I swear you guys are going to put a 125gal pleco tank in my head lol
Just do it!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Hey madness, nice to see some pics of the tanks getting back up and running!  :spoton: 

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Haha I guess I kind of do have one. I converted my 30 gallon over to planted last night and it currently houses 1 angel, 1 xray, 1 emporer and 6 bristlenose pleco. One pleco will be going to a different tank and this will be my breeding tank for my 5 LF bristlenose pleco's. The xray and emporer are old and I'm just waiting for their days, then it will just be the angel. Which I have had for probably close to 7-8 years now.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Madness those are some good looking plecos. You should get a group of true zebra's in there. We need a breeder in washington! You'd be the perfect man for the job! ;)

Madness

Staff member
Tell me about it, I would love to get a breeding pair, and I guarantee I wouldn't sell them for $150 each at 1.5". I would also love to get my hands on a pair of L024's and L025's

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Madness said:
I would also love to get my hands on a pair of L024's and L025's
Those too are on my favorites list, along with the L600. All similar patterned to the L114.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
If you got them I would buy one from you in a heartbeat! I love them but they are definitely costly they are the highest on my wish list when I win some money, some how. lol :) I watch aquabid and the prices soar through the roof.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So looking at online info, "(L46) need to be approx. 2-4yrs old before they are at breeding age and they only lay about 10 eggs at a time." Along with the import ban can see why the command such a high price.