Look what followed me home, new L114

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Plecos have always been that one fish that I just can not seem to do well with, but I dropped a few bucks on this L114 from The Wet Spot in Portland and will see how it goes....

I posted this in another spot but figured should just start up a post dedicated to the fish. http://www.wafishbox.com/t9752p40-wetspot-tropical

With all the little spikes on it you can see why they call it a 'Leopard Cactus' pleco.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
poffman said:
Gorgeous!!
Thanks

The Wet Spot had quite a few cool plecos, I was so tempted to get more! But I will see if I can keep this one alive.

poffman

DMD123 said:
Thanks

The Wet Spot had quite a few cool plecos, I was so tempted to get more! But I will see if I can keep this one alive.
Good plan haha!! I haven't had great luck with plecos either but I am trying again..

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Oh nice, all my plecos so far are veggie heads :) a few need driftwood for digestion though. And one prefers tropicllake food because she's lazy.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I really dont know why Ive had problems with them. Some I figure were sick when I got them with sunken bellies and maybe parasite issues. If I can keep this one going he will eventually end up in my 210g with my rhino pleco.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
MorganEA said:
Im sure you will do fine just make sure your fish don't steal all his pellets.
How true. He is in with some small cichlid grow outs and Australian rainbows which are super aggressive feeders.  :pig: 
I might shoot for night feedings for a while so he will not have any competition.

MorganEA

I try to tuck the pellets under a rock or a log near where my pleco likes to hide that way the fish cant get to it easily

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The little guy has found a home in a lava rock cave for now but I have a few pieces of Malaysian driftwood Im boiling that will end up in his tank. When I get more hiding places, it will be easier to feed him that way.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
This one is not mine, but a pic of the one madness has:

I hope mine will get the intense reds in the fins.

Madness

Staff member
Easy way to feed your plecos, cut a chunk of 3/4" pvc, at feeding time stick the pipe in the tank near the Plecos and drop the sinking food into it. Once the plecos associate the pipe with food, they will attack the food as soon as it comes out.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Madness said:
And 'D', the little guy looks amazing. :D
Yours, or mine?  :D 

I was happy to see the one I got had nice long tail trailers on top and bottom. It does not have much of the leopard spotting in the tail like I wanted but hopefully that means more red color. These plecos look amazing when big, their bodies are just covered in spines (like a cactus, thus the name)