Long Fin Bristlenose update (pic heavy)

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
It's been quite a while since I did an update. So here are quite a few pics I've taken lately of my LF chocolate bristlenose group I bought to breed. So far no bristles are showing but they are growing decently well. They are about 6-8 months old. I discovered last night that they and my sailfin really like frozen brine shrimp. Go figure. lol But as you can see in some of these pics they LOVE french cut green beans, no salt. I can't wait until I can start getting babies from this group. Hopefully there is atleast 1 male within them.

I love the finnage on this one. It is the hardest to get pics of because it stays at the back of the tank.

Follow the leader? lol

Look at those fins!

Amazing fins but so long and slender

Fins are so long that when it swims they tear :( I've tried healing the fins since I got it but to no avail.

It's fins are so long they curl up

Om nom nom

Munch munch munch

I have two that have quite a bit of white on the tips that I hope they pass on.

We love our veggies!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
After starting to feed Southern D'Light my BN have grown considerably and now one is starting to show bristles! I'm excited!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I just got some good pics I'm uploading now since its feeding time! I'm excited once to get them going.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I know the post is about plecos but I wanted to comment on the larger substrate. I like the natural river bed look you got going on in there. I have been trying to mix it up in all my tanks so that each has just a little different look. Oh yeah, the plecos are looking good too!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
DMD123 said:
I know the post is about plecos but I wanted to comment on the larger substrate. I like the natural river bed look you got going on in there. I have been trying to mix it up in all my tanks so that each has just a little different look. Oh yeah, the plecos are looking good too!
Thanks! I really like it too. I do plan to put some smaller rock under it since it's becoming a planted tank. FishNAbowl has been harassing me about changing out the substrate though ;) (he secretly likes it too) I have something similar to it in my 75 gallon as well. But it has better colors to it. I have another tank that's bare bottom and one with black sand. And then there's the Fluval with the driveway gravel, aquarium rock, and ADA Amazonia substrate. Mine for the most part are all different too. :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
bare bottom
You said 'bare bottom', :lmfao: Sorry could not resist!

I like the look of the sand I have, but two out of the four tanks look almost identical and I would like to change that. We may to to do a post on just substrate and have people post their pics....

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Hey that's a good idea! I think we should do it. :)
Except for those who send pictures of their 'bare bottom' :lmfao:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ok back to plecos... have these attempted to spawn yet?

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Nope, I think they are still too young. :/ I need to get them some caves/logs. I think the bamboo is too small. They are about 7 months old approximately. The guy I bought them from said they were several months old when he sold them to me and I got them in April. So I went with 3 months old and have been adding from there.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Time for a DIY project, pleco caves. Just need come clay...

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I wondered about that; what type of clay to use, if it needs fired? I was considering pvc tube with silicone and small aquarium gravel to make it blend in and heat up and pinch down one end. Hmm

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ive wondered about the clay thing too. Ive always thought it would be interesting to take a ceramics class and them make a ton of pleco caves and stuff to resell. Ive seen the PVC pleco caves and they dont seem that bad an option. When I made my custom spray bars I ordered black PVC online. Its a bit more difficult to find but would look cool to make a pleco cave with.