LJ's 75 gallon Walstad inspired planted tank

Lamental Jester

Time for an update... annnnnnd looks like it's time for a trim:
mar16main_zpsb5bab92a.jpg

The amazon sword doesn't melt anymore and is growing some large/long leaves. The Green Temple is coming up really lush too:
mar16right_zps32e403ce.jpg

I let the Sunset Hydros get a little out of control, gonna be trimming them down next week:
mar16left_zps98830611.jpg

Red Rainbow :D
redrainbow_zps79931875.jpg

Woooo, loving my tank!!!

Lamenetal....Nice! That's the way I aspire to have my planted tanks look. I didn't read back through this thread, but want to ask....are you using CO2?

Lamental Jester

Snapped some pics, so time for an update. Trimmed down the sunset hydro and water wisteria, I think the fish were happy with the extra swimming space.
april4a_zpscfa5475c.jpg

Got some glass covers online, makes a HUGE difference at slowing down evaporation:
april4b_zps852df969.jpg

Completely forgot I had some crypts, hiding under all that sunset hydro that got trimmed away:
april4c_zpsf4bb595c.jpg

The green temple living up to it's name: GREEN
april4d_zps641152c5.jpg

Boesemani rainbow:
april4e_zps18b6ef56.jpg

Anthraxx

man that tank looks good!! some of my favorite non cichlid fish have got to be rainbows/gouramis. nicely done selecting some really gorgeous fish. my only tiff with this whole thing is that your plants are so lush and full it just doesnt look like a 75g (or at least to me :p )

cichlid-gal

Everything turned out beautiful really...love the plant selections and placements and your fish (wow)...totally inspired by this...great work!!! :cheers:

Lamental Jester

Thanks all! The tank setup is almost 3 months old now, pretty proud of the results :)

Anthraxx said:
my only tiff with this whole thing is that your plants are so lush and full it just doesnt look like a 75g (or at least to me :p )
Lol, I assure you it's a 75 gallon, but I know what you mean. I always feel like tanks looks smaller in photos than what they actually are

Lamental Jester

Ask and ye shall receive:
July2_zps3570cd10.jpg

I had a lot of undergrowth die due to not trimming and over abundance of frogbit and duckweed.  But I've scooped out all the floaters and gave the amazon swords a much needed trim, so the green temple should be growing back in force soon.

July2b_zps3400a099.jpg

July2d_zps6b5c08cf.jpg

And a pic of one of the leopard ctenopomas I got from theChad:
July2c_zps460b4574.jpg

PS- thanks Poke

A

Anonymous

Very nice LJ! Your Rainbows look amazing. The Ctenopomas are kind of an outcast being all brown against the colorful Rainbows. But, they are an awesome fish with different character traits than Rainbows. The Ctentopoma looks good & content. Im happy you gave them a good home. Thank you :)

Anthraxx

really liking all those oddball fish in that tank. not only are the plants fun but the fish as well. great job and keep the pics coming! :)

Lamental Jester

So it's been awhile since I updated this.  I've decided to make some changes to the tank, mainly I sold off most my amazon swords at the SWAP and moved the remaining to the back of the tank, that way they wont be blocking out the light like they were before.  I've also added some stargrass (thanks Poke) and some other plant that hobbyorobsession gave away at the last GSAS meeting.  Also moved the crypts together to one side, and moved the green temple to a back corner.  My goal now is to have more not as tall and carpet plants.  Added marsilea minuta and quadrifolia, and plan on getting some glosso in there.  No pics yet, but I'll get some up soon after things settle.  

Until then, here's how Conan O'Brian gets his super powers:
Conan20gets20a20kiss20and20goes20Super20Saiyan_zps25f21379.gif

...you're welcome