LJ's 75 gallon Walstad inspired planted tank

A

Anonymous

Lamental Jester said:
Thanks theCh... er, I mean fishNAbowl ;) (seriously, don't go all ODB on me and keep changing your name, cause as you know, Wu-Tang Clan ain't nuthin' to *bleep* with :) )
:lol: I couldn't stay away LJ, aquatics is part of my life. Without WashFishBox I would be a loner within my community .
Lamental Jester said:
I've been thinking about attaching some moss to it for a while now, maybe some phoenix, and possibly some anubias to the base, but we shall see.
:spoton:           It does look awesome the way it is. That's the 2nd thing that popped into my mind so I threw it out there.
Lamental Jester said:
PS:  your leopard ctenopomas' are still doing great, the shy one has become a little more outgoing, I'll have to get some pics off them on my next round of pics
That would be great. They are my favorite medium sized predator. And the two had pretty neat individual personalities :)

Lamental Jester

Ok, so I got a bunch of HC from the GSAS meeting yesterday, and think I'm gonna try attaching it to the log:
IMG_2381_zps1fce23d3.jpg

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

A

Anonymous

I don't have any experience with this plant. If it works it should look awesome!

Lamental Jester

Thanks, we'll see how it goes... I tried HC before but it didn't work out so well, I think because it was blocked out by other plants and wasn't getting enough light. This time it's not gonna be shaded and is much closer to the light. I might start dosing the tank with excel again too. Fingers crossed. Any HC experts with any advise would be well welcomed! lol

unikorn

Wow that looks great! Have you ever considered EI dosing dry ferts? they are much cheaper than excel in the long run.

Lamental Jester

Thanks unikorn!  I haven't tried dry ferts yet, I might give it a try sometime.  Most of the nutrients are being supplied by the soil substrate however

pbmax

Dry ferts are cheap, but be very careful not to over-dose. I destroyed a couple of my planted tanks doing that... "EI" dosing is designed for high light and CO2, definitely not for a Walstad. You can still use dry ferts of course (I do), but start out with far lower dosing levels than EI.

This page is quite helpful in that regard: http://calc.petalphile.com/