Liem's - International District

I had an awsome feeling like , big trouble in little china ... lol ... he had an awsome black eel ... and i bought water sprite and a callaptera and a arowana for dirt cheap ,

smashahashi

overall experience 5+
cost 5+
quality of fish 3.5
variety 4
service 5+

awesome store!! in a dank chinatown alley with just a koi kite hanging outside and a little chinese man inside. make sure to quarantine! great fish and prices and just a really cool place!

TRD_Power

Overall experience: 4
Cost: 5
Quality: 4
Variety: 2.5
Service: 5

Mr. Liem is an extremely nice man who speaks a fair amount of English and is always willing to give you a hand. I visit this store every once in a while since my girlfriend lives a couple blocks away, and the variety hasn't changed much between visits. Sure, the tanks look gross and what not, but the fish all seem to be very healthy. My girlfriend says the place reminds her of a haunted house, so she hasn't joined me since our last visit together, but overall it's worth checking out.

naturalart

Overall experience 4.5
Cost 5
Quality 4.5
Variety 3
Service 5

I imagine this is the type of shop one would exprience in 1960's Hong Kong? Clutter, tight isles. Unique approach. Great for such a small shop. Prices are right and lots of young fish. I've had some very interesting finds in this shop. Liem is a nice guy.

plaamoo

I love to visit Liems', though I do have to prepare myself a bit mentally before. The tanks are waaay overstocked! He does get some interesting fish and the prices are really cheap. He has some really nice gobies, awaous flavus ... labeled "dragon gobies", but I have no room for them at the moment. I assume all fish are infected with everything possible & therefore quarantine & treat accordingly. Liam is very nice & speaks very good english IMO.

Overall experience-5
Cost-5
Quality-4
Variety-4
Service-5

First time going there, it was closed. 2nd time, it was open! :D When you're lucky enough to visit the store when it's open, it's like walking into a mystifying land of fish that I've had such a hard time looking for, the Rummynose Tetra! Currently selling them at $1.50 each, if you buy 5, you get two for free. Wowza!

A

Anonymous

overall experience 3
cost 5+
quality of fish 3 1/2
varity 4
service 4

Neat place. its kinda messy stink and theirs spider for a girl that's gross! I would not make the trip up if you live more than 20 minutes away the guy was nice. I bought one fish and got to scoop it so its good and not good!

BillHN

Overall experience - 5
Cost - 5
Quality - 3
Variety - 5
Service - 5

Went there with L J, he has an AWESOME deal on neons!

Lamental Jester

Overall experience - 4
Cost - 5
Quality - 4
Variety - 3
Service - 4.5

Neat little place, wouldn't be surprised if a mogwai jumped on my shoulder while there. Liem is a super friendly. Prices are as low as they can possibly go. I know Liem is notorious for his "sketchy water", but honestly both times I've been there I did not see a single sick or dead fish in any of his tanks, barrels, buckets, or whatever improvised container he's using. Not a big variety, but not much could be done about that given the limited space he has. And like BillHN said, awesome deal on neon tetras: $1 each, or 15 for $10, and they were some dang nice looking neons too! Added bonus for me: it's just a 10 minute walk from my place, woot!

A

Anonymous

Wasn't all the fundraisers that were out there to help this guy reestablish a new store? I heard that he wasn't going to reopen a store.

MRTom

Or at least cover the losses. I don't know what I'd do if I were in his shoes after spending his whole life in the same place, but I'd understand throwing in the towel and living out the rest of his life with family and fish.

Ali

I've been past the alley this place is on and it looks like it's closed up for construction. Any idea when it might reopen?

Ali

And now I've read to the bottom of this thread, answered my questions. Bummer all around.