just ordered some Pundamilia Nyererei (Makobe Island) cichlids today

fishyladdy

I'm pretty excited the dad has amazing color I got 6 of them for 40 bucks free shipping! Can't wait to get these guys and pump them with some awesome food and get them growing! Any one else have these??
Fishyladdy

cichlid-gal

Here's an interesting article on Pundamilia...I found it one day while looking for pronounciation help...all these Victorian names give me fits (i.e. my kyogas...it is pronounced as "choga") :lol

http://www.cichlidae.com/section.php?id=144

P. nyererei are also on the CARES Priority List identified as CNT (near threatened).  To find out more about CARES go to

http://www.carespreservation.com/

Enjoy your beginning journey with Victorians...they are special fish.

bassetman

Hope they are nice ones. Lots of hybrids rampant in certain sectors of the Victorians. I have some Ruti island that are crossed whit crimson tide....pretty but worthless.

cichlid-gal

bassetman said:
Hope they are nice ones. Lots of hybrids rampant in certain sectors of the Victorians. I have some Ruti island that are crossed whit crimson tide....pretty but worthless.
That is one reason that many Victorian breeders are adamant about keeping Vics in species only tanks or tanks with fish from other lakes but NOT with other Victorians. So many of the females look like each other...same markings...that it is hard to tell them apart. Obviously the males get confused too ;)

Madness

Staff member
cichlid-gal said:
bassetman said:
That is one reason that many Victorian breeders are adamant about keeping Vics in species only tanks or tanks with fish from other lakes but NOT with other Victorians.  So many of the females look like each other...same markings...that it is hard to tell them apart.  Obviously the males get confused too ;)
Which is the exact same reason why stores and people buy Red Devils that are not RD. Because they can look so similar to a point with the Midas that people cant tell the difference.

So, Fishladdy hopefully your getting your fish from somebody reputable and keep those and all your fish pure. Hybrids can be cool and neat, but they are killing the hobby. IMO...

CrazedAce

Are people really that picky about mixing the different variants of nyererei? Understandable about mixing separate species, but even in the wild not all males from the same location look alike, generally the same patterns though.

cichlid-gal

Serious Victorian keepers would want to know the collection point of the species. If you mix the collection points then the lines become blurred.

I suppose it would be like asking people if mixing Cynotiliapia zebroides Jalo Reef "Yellow Top" with Cynotilapia zebroides Nkhata Bay "Yellow Blaze" would be OK...ummm...no. These are two different species. Often when a fish does not have its final taxonomical name it is named using the "collection point". That identifies the fish as separate and unique.

dwarfpike

It's not just Victorian keepers that are like that either. Usually Westie and Apisto keepers keep the different locations separate as well.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
fishyladdy has mentioned spawning fish for money. Many people interested in this line of fish would want a pure strain for sure.

anthony

Hey I had that fish along time ago. It was sold to me as "anchor island" is that a collection point? I would see the fish the same place and it would be called what you guys are calling it. I only had one but kept it with some zebra obl. and about 10 kyoga flamebacks but it was the meanest in the tank. Any way was I just calling it some b.s. name????????????? That's one of the best Victorians . I always wanted the one called hippo point but never could find it. VICS ROCK

cichlid-gal

That male has a lot of red which is beautiful...most of the Makobe Island variants that I see have a bit more yellow.  I do not know this Vic species so not sure about how he should look and I am terrible at differentiating the small stuff.  If you have doubts about your new aquisitions genetics once they grow and start coloring up there are places you can inquire where experts can help you verify their identification.

Just doing a google search on these guys shows these pics...as you can see lots more yellow but age can play a part in color, tankmates can play a part in color...there are lots of things that can affect color in Victorians.  He is a beautiful Dad though fishyladdy.  Hoping your juvies turn out as nice.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pundamilia+nyererei+makobe+island&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Rc1AUv3ZNITtiwLi94HgAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=1821&bih=852&dpr=1