Just an Oscar or two, 210g update

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
What? We still have photo contests? :laughhard:

I will attempt to take a real nice photo one of these days instead of just a snapshot. But the competition is pretty fierce! Our fish box members have some great fish!

Madness

Staff member
Hey I know, you should add a pair of the cuties.

image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

Or maybe one of these. :D
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well I still need to do some adjusting. The stalsbergi realized he was big and went on the rampage tore up the side fin on the smaller more colorful Oscar and started chasing everything in the tank. I pulled it out and put it into the empty 20L that I had.

So looking for something else thats mellow. So anyone want to trade something for a 4-5" stalsbergi, let me know.

Zerc

DMD123 said:
Well I still need to do some adjusting. The stalsbergi realized he was big and went on the rampage tore up the side fin on the smaller more colorful Oscar and started chasing everything in the tank. I pulled it out and put it into the empty 20L that I had.

So looking for something else thats mellow. So anyone want to trade something for a 4-5" stalsbergi, let me know.

:(

crap, he never did that in my tank. sorry!

Zerc

I have lots of small fish too, my blue acara, lyonsi, RTM, and argentea are all like 2" long, no damage at all.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Zerc said:
crap, he never did that in my tank. sorry!
No problem, you never know with fish what will happen. I dont have a lot of cichlids to diffuse or spread aggression out so they basically have to get along or they have to go. I guess I was spoiled when I had my midas he made it so easy to put things in with him. He never had an issue with anything. Not bad really for my first fish that wouldnt get along.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Zerc said:
Want a convict?

:laughhard:
NO! That is not a convict. Its some alien :alien: life form bent on world domination.

Zerc

Give the stalsbergi another chance imo, it sounds like your small oscar had it coming!

maybe they were just establishing a new pecking order?
:D

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
It was more than pecking order, it was just going wild realizing it was top dog. The chaos in the tank was not worth it. Even the little O can be civil 95% of the time. Overall I have a very easygoing peaceful tank. This fish was acting like your con. It would be a great fish if something bigger was there to keep it in check. My Oscars will need 3-4 months to get to that point.

Zerc

i can baby sit it for 3 months if you want to give it another shot, up to you though, sounds like it wasnt very nice once it didnt have any big fish with it.
stalsbergi only get like 8" long though right?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I am looking to keep three cichlids. So far the large Oscar and gold sev get along great. The smaller O can get moody at times but over all is not too bad, but I really want just one Oscar.

So I am looking for that one cichlid that can work. The three cichlid thing was going great with my last set up with the Midas, Argentea and Pearsei. They got along well and I was done, then the sickness hit.

I know how difficult it can be with just the three to get along but I know it can work. Ideally five would be a better choice to spread aggression. I really like a community and want to keep the "other" non-cichlids. They just make it feel more like an actual slice of nature. In nature you really would not see many of these cichlids so close together, even three seems like too many to me. Oh well, I will figure something out.

Betty

Staff member
I like the Jerk -- he's cute. I hope he didn't get beaten up too badly.

I don't know anything about keeping American cichlids. Do they do better as singles than they do in species groups?

Zerc

they do well in small groups if they are not aggressive specimens. My group does well because there is so many. For some reason aggression is almost nonexistent. (sans one psychotic convict).

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Everyone seems to be doing fine after the few beatings that got dished out by the stalsbergi. The small O pouted for a while in the corner but perked back up to feed. His side fin is almost all healed up already. These guys grow at an alarmingly fast rate!