Its here... my new bichir

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Had to add this picture. That is how tight my plastic strip is. The fish made it out that little spot!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
L190 said:
Was the tank filled all the way up with water?

No, there was a pretty good air gap. Water filled just to bottom of black trim, which on that tank left a good 1 1/4" air space due to the tall trim.

dwarfpike

Wow, that's a tight fit. I doubt I would have tried to close it off either given the size of the fish. Sorry man.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Dang, I'm in shock! That totally sucks.

On a light hearted note, I told my wife the story and she said, " if that ever happened here, you'd better eat it! " I think she would be mad at me if I got nothing out of the investment

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
lloyd378 said:
Dang, I'm in shock! That totally sucks.

On a light hearted note, I told my wife the story and she said, " if that ever happened here, you'd better eat it! " I think she would be mad at me if I got nothing out of the investment
I have had a good nights sleep and a day to talk with others and I am doing better today. On another site they actually commented that they do not think the fish made it out that opening but may have actually hit the glass top with enough force to open it as it jumped out. This is also a plausible theory since the glass tops on the 75g are prety thin. So if i do it again with a big bichir, I will plug the opening and weigh down to tops.

My wife did not get mad but was super supportive, helped me get through it. The stress of the house is getting to me too! I am still wanting another poly so back to shopping....

Madness

Staff member
They are escape artist and a15" bichir doesn't pack the punch like a 12" Midas so I personally doubt that it went through the lid, but stranger things have happened in this hobby. Hang in there, im about to make my largest and most expensive fish purchase, I am a little nervous about spending that much. Lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks madness. Im not sure how the fish made it out but it did. I will take extra precautions now. Above and beyond! lol

anthony

it looks to have a wound behind the head maybe it got its head caught in the filter opening and it kept strugling foward. only saying because it looked scraped behind head. you should look 4 bichirs on cl there is a guy selling 1 foot endli for 75 but you could probally get for 50. when igot my laps i payed 70 bucks for a 10 and 12incher.just awhile back some guy gave away 7 bichirs for free on cl. i just think that was a little pricey for a lap with a collection point. i see people selling them for that but for that price you should get bichir bichir.it was a nice lap it sucks the way it all went down sorry man..

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
anthony said:
you should look 4 bichirs on cl there is a guy selling 1 foot endli for 75 but you could probally get for 50.
That is one of our fishbox members. I hate endli, I do not like the look of their head, and eyes. Never have liked them.

anthony said:
when igot my laps i payed 70 bucks for a 10 and 12incher.just awhile back some guy gave away 7 bichirs for free on cl. i just think that was a little pricey for a lap with a collection point. i see people selling them for that but for that price you should get bichir bichir
Yes it is a collection point, but the characteristics it has looks better than most of the laps Ive seen that look all faded out. If I found a Lap that looked that good I would get it but sadly most are washed out and plain looking. I like the guy I purchase from because he will send out pics of the actual fish. Others like Wet Spot wanted to charge me sight unseen to special order the fish. My supplier has a guy that supplies to the Asain markets and provides pics to his clients and thus my supplier can do the same. If I want to buy a premium fish, I would like to see it first. I also want a quality ornate but wont buy one without seeing it first, again way too many plain looking ones on the market, likely captive bred.

anthony

i understand i have never bought 1 fish through the mail for that reason .all im trying to say is when i was on my bichir trip i felt like they were unabtainable with in a year i had 13 bichirs i got them all except the ang,congus,bichir bichir.they pop up all the time if you have patience .i also bought a few washed out ones in the begining when i didnt know any better.1of the laps looked just like yours but the other one was the green kind with a faint pattern. my point is i got a fish that looked just that good for 35 bucks without the collection point but if you got more money than time more power to you.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I think we are on the same page that we want fish that look good. I am actually on a budget and the only reason I got this was due to a nice little work bonus and a series of events that let me find what I wanted. Im all for craigslist finds but sometimes you want a treat when its something special. This was just a special treat. Likely not to happen again unless another bonus comes my way.

Chiisai

If you dont mind... whats the ballpark for one of those guys? Im just Curious, you say it was a lot of cash... to me $500 pleco is spendy but to another person a $60 fish might be spendy.

anthony

well it was just a sugestion. I realy just cant believe the whole thing happened. I can understand wanting a couple of big bichirs for your big new tank. iwould want the same i just did not want to see it cost a small fortune. midway has been having quite a few bichirs lately some big some small .diffrent ones. i used to call once a week looking for bichirs and plecos they are good at telling u whats in stock so you dont waste a trip. good luck

ps that filter was cut so tight you could not have known that was even possible

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Chiisai said:
If you dont mind... whats the ballpark for one of those guys? Im just Curious, you say it was a lot of cash... to me $500 pleco is spendy but to another person a $60 fish might be spendy.
Yep, total matter of perspective depending on what you are used to. This one was $207 with the shipping. A bit more than what I normally spend. Usually $100 is my max on a single fish.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
anthony said:
well it was just a sugestion. I realy just cant believe the whole thing happened. I can understand wanting a couple of big bichirs for your big new tank. iwould want the same i just did not want to see it cost a small fortune. midway has been having quite a few bichirs lately some big some small .diffrent ones. i used to call once a week looking for bichirs and plecos they are good at telling u whats in stock so you dont waste a trip. good luck

ps that filter was cut so tight you could not have known that was even possible

I appreciate the advice, and the heads ups from you since you've kept plenty of these guys. For me this was a one time treat that was supposed to live life out on the new 300. I wanted to have the weeksii, a lap with color, and possibly an ornate or something else with size (except endli, they creep me out! lol). been keeping my eyes open on craigslist and found a big ornate in Oregon but it is not very colorful but nice sized and reasonable in price

anthony

yea i forgot about the weeksi i never had that one next time your shooting pics take a couple of that guy and share if possible i would like to see how he turned out. I still think that bichirs are one of the best fish to keep i dont have the space to keep them anymore so i only have 3 lol.