Its here... my new bichir

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I have been waiting on this for a while. I had originally seen one at Wet Spot some time back and fell in love with the look and coloration of this particular bichir. It is one of the lower jaw species which are the big boys in the bichir world. This is a wild caught Koliba.

You can tell by the shadow in the box that it is a big boy! It came in at least 14"

Curled up in the bucket, acclimating for the transfer into a 75g quarantine

K-Rex in the house... at least its temporary home in the 75g. lol, I call it Rex or K-Rex because its full name is 'Kolibasaurus Rex'. Yes it got a prehistoric dino name.

I know it does not look like much, in fact when it first came in, right after acclimation the seller sent me this pic. Needless to say it was a bit disappointing!

But after a night settling into the tank it turned out to look like this!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
This thing is a beast! It is difficult to even get a good picture of how sleek and streamlined this fish is. It really is very serpentine looking.

Got it to eat a little frozen krill tonight. Happy to see it get some food in it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Poke, a bit of a change going with a lower jaw type. I hope it does well in the community tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
This morning he looks less stressed, color coming in

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Paintguy said:
I love these... made me reinforce my tank cover so they can't get out.

Funny you mention that... Mine jumped and died

Pretty tight lid on the 75g QT tank except for the gap required for the hob filter. I found it dried up this morning on the other side of the garage. Cant believe it did that.... :(

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, really bummed. This thing was not cheap. I had just got a work bonus and it was a treat to be able to spend so much on a single fish. Was totally like burning money.

I will rethink my filter, like the mesh idea....

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the kind words.

A part me is hoping it is alive when I get home since I got it in the water as soon as I found it and it opened its mouth a little and it moved a fin. But I was only able to be with it a little while this morning moving it in the water and trying to resuscitate it. But the wife said it on its side with mouth wide open so pretty sure it a goner.

Very discouraging loss due to the short period of time I had it and the high dollar cost. Let alone all that I went through with the Bumblebee Oscar recently only to lose it to what I still dont know. Moments like this in the hobby can really bum you out.

Anthraxx

super bummed to hear this. really was digging the neat colors. honestly your discouragements are kinda why i went to nano sized fish. buy a bunch and if u lose a few u barely notice (too small in most cases) still sad to hear of another setback for ya. GL in your future projects

Madness

Staff member
Damn bro, that sucks. I am so sorry to hear this, he was really starting to look pretty sweet. :(

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys, time to get back on the horse... well in a while, no rush