indoor micro koi pond project!!!!!

oddballer

Hey everyone! just thought id share what im working on right now. I really wanted to get in on all the fun pond action going on right now. but dont have much spare cash or room. So i decided to USE WHAT I GOT!!!!! With the exception of and upper waterfall basin, some bio filtration media to go in the upper waterfall basin and some fish. I will have pieced this little pond together from free wood piles. A bin from home depot i was storing fish stuff in, some 5 mil plastic to line the little flower boxes i added along the back and side rim. an old pump and some tubing. always wanted to do this! any advice would be appreciated! will keep posting as it progresses. This is just day 1....

A

Anonymous

Interesting.. I'll be watching for updates.  :cyclops: 

cichlid-gal

What a great idea. I love the planting areas you set up around the pond. Those will give you the opportunity to add some beautiful plants...just watch the drainage on those as your liner will not allow excess water to drain away and it could pool in it. If you just set potted plants in that area it might be better than putting say soil in there as having the potted plants would allow you to remove them when needed to clear out any standing water.

iSsFiSh12

Great Idea cichlid gal! ive been thinking of how to solve that one. sometimes the simplest solutions are the best!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I dont know why I pictured filling up that thing with the fish that eat dead skin and the charge for 'spa' services.  :superpuke: 

Now that you have that awful picture in your head... that really is a cool little mini pond!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Just imagine slipping into the water and feeling all those little mouths nibbling.... nom, nom, nom

MRTom

How about a pedi while sitting next to the pond watching the fish feed? If you do, share pics of the fish feeding!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
MRTom said:
How about a pedi while sitting next to the pond watching the fish feed? If you do, share pics of the fish feeding!
Now that's good idea! Now to convince Oddballer to give iSsFiSh12 the pedicure! lol

oddballer

THAT IS HILLARIOUS!!!! we were totally thinking of adding a chair and a bookshelf next to it and we arent 100% on what we should stock it with. leaning towards small koi breads. gunna paint it today. still trying to think of waterfall alternatives to the classic black basin. as DIY as possible without looking terrible  :eek: 

oddballer

I like the terra cotta spill over idea! I was even thinking of disguising a 5 gal bucket full of bio media of some sort, with a simple in&out port. BUT! I happened upon a waterfall basin so I figure i should use it. Caulked and painted yesterday. now to install the pump and waterfall  :D 

oddballer

just an update on some progress made today. had fun beach colming for rocks and drift wood. what a nice day!!!! gunna let it cycle for a week or so. At least as long as it takes to decide what to stock it with.  :D 

cichlid-gal

You could probably tuck some marginal plants around the rocks also to cover the plastic and I bet they would do great. Good looking setup and sweet project.

oddballer

thanks everyone! its been a fun little project. cichlid gal- thats a great idea! Thanks for the advice! now I need to find a dwarf koi breed. if that exists. Id hate to have my koi out grow the tiny pond and have to part with them. plenty of time to think about it i suppose while the pond cycles for a week or two.  :eek: