indoor micro koi pond project!!!!!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Wow looking awesome! I'm going to show this to my mom and I bet she's going to be jealous. She needs one of these on her patio with all her plants!

iSsFiSh12

Pond update: Oddballer and I came across some free bamboo sticks from the neighbors, so we decided to decorate the pond! The sticks will act as trellis for ivy which we are going to plant in back of the pond and let climb up the bamboo. We went to Swanson's Nursery in Ballard the other day and discovered their AMAZING Koi that they have!!! We also picked up some ground cover plants to grow over the rocks that surround our mini waterfall! Looking forward to adding more plants, and then FISH!!!! :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Looks good with the bamboo and plants in place. Cant wait for the fish pics!

A

Anonymous

I had no idea of the extent you where taking this thing. Before I was just imagining an oddball mini pond just chilling there. Now you guys have sparked my imagination with flowering ground covers, climbing ivy.... This is really neat guys.

MRTom

Looking fantastic! This is inspiring yet another home remodel :) Looking forward to seeing some koi in there!

oddballer

Thanks guys! this was such a spur of the moment project im feeling good about how its coming along. besides a few more plants, the only thing im having trouble deciding on is what to stock it with. of course id love to raise some real koi. But, i dont like the idea of inevitably having to re-home them. Im leaning towards raising some ranchu goldfish instead. two max with maybe a few pond mates. But i like the idea of raising the ranchu goldfish to maturity instead of having to pawn my koi off to someone with a MUCH nicer pond lol! :eek: 

iSsFiSh12

I can't wait for the fish!!! gonna be SWEET! I told Oddballer we could just build another pond if we got Koi ;) but we have to be realistic here.. Not sure about the extent as to how far this could go in our rental apartment! Landlord doesn't even know about Micro yet LOL!!!!!

Anthraxx

id go for the ranchu as well, its perfect for viewing them (i know it seems silly but theyre meant to be viewed from above) plus worst case scenario u can still keep them in a tank (since ur concerned about rental issues)

PS: on a side note make sure you have renters insurance (make sure you have waterbed type coverage from any water damage) besides that i just greatly unexaggerate the size of my tanks (my 125 is the "55")

oddballer

update!

Haven't been on here in a while, but I thought I would share the latest update to the micro pond. I finally got around to adding some legitimate filtration. I came across some older in-line canister filters and plumbed one in this morning. Im just using activated carbon on the bottom and a sponge on the top of the canister. Id like to upgrade to a finnex px-360 canister filter. I think it would fit nicely in my limited space. I added a few goldfish, and I REALLY enjoy viewing them from above  :D . once the pond becomes more stable, I still plan on re-homing the basic goldfish and adding a couple ranchu goldfish.

That looks STUNNING! I love being able to see the goldfish from above, and I really love the aesthetics you two have don with the pond, especially the wood accents, it really ties everything together! Great job!! :D

LuminousAphid

cool project, i never saw your thread before now and it's cool to see how it came together all at once. You could try getting some of your aquatic plants to grow up out of the basin eventually, that would be another nice touch to see immersed/emmersed growth on the same plant in a pond setting

cichlid-gal

When I first looking at the view down pic, I thought there were pennies in the pond...LOL...the old wishing well vision. It's funny how your mind does that to you. I think this is the coolest project ever and so creative. How fun to have a pond inside the house. Plants are looking happy and what Luminous said, finding some plants that would grow submersed/immersed(emmersed).

oddballer

Thanks you so much! I really like the plant idea! I must give credit where credit is due. The aesthetics have been mainly issfish12's doing, I just had the idea and built it  :) . I wonder what would make good some good specimens? The plants seem to really love the hydro farm t5 light fixture im using. So does the algae though  :| . But im hoping to get a replacement bulb for an 8 watt in-line uv clarifier i happened upon. That should clear things up real nice!  :) ! here are a few clearer pics of our little pond dwellers.

LuminousAphid

What do you have so far? Looks like maybe frogbit floating, and some anubias on the bottom? You could definitely try something that grows faster so that it would break the surface sooner for you, but I really haven't looked into very many plants for emmersed growth... The only one I have done is a little ludwigia hybrid that ended up breaking the surface in the little vial it was living in and started sprouting emmersed leaves.

Also, the algae on the abubias should subside eventually, so don't worry too much about it. I am surprised that there is that much diatom coverage with no substrate... I always thought it was my sand that gave the diatoms their food, but I guess they can pop up even without any additional silicates for their shells. Maybe the rocks are leeching some minerals?

oddballer

hmmm. diatoms huh? I will be the first to admit that i am very "green" when it comes to plants of the submersed variety. I can hold my own in the garden but my aquarium has never flourished the way i would like. Those anubias have actually been transplanted from my 55 communal tank. Ive been told it is due to a deficiency of some sort. But i haven't found a supplement to remedy it yet. I've really only had success with the lillies and some "wonder bulbs" from aquarium co-op. :)