Indonesian Tigerfish - Datnioides microlepis

FishBeast

I had not commented about one aspect of your dat, the fact it was stable. It looks awesome by the way. I mention the stability issue because Aquarium Paradise has one that looks on deaths door and has horrible colors and stripes look terrible. Well they threw in some feeders and the fish came to life. Its bars and colors popped and it was definitely a healthy fish! Had to mention that because I appreciated how nice your dat looks!
Yes Haha their stripes are like mood rings! Sometimes my dat turns almost completely black. I got him from Aquarium Paradise too BTW, not sure if I mentioned that before. ☺️ Now I want to go there to check out their stock haha

FishBeast

That lip flex reminds me of some of my cichlids doing the same thing. One time I had a fish stuck with his mouth like that because he had a Plecostomus stuck in there. I had to perform an emergency procedure to get it out!
Oh wow that must’ve been scary! Did the pleco make it?

Betty

Staff member
Oh wow that must’ve been scary! Did the pleco make it?
Sadly, it did not -- was pretty mangled and chewed up having gone in head first. I think I had to clip the pleco's pectoral fins to pull it out. They were almost like fish hooks!

FishBeast

Sadly, it did not -- was pretty mangled and chewed up having gone in head first. I think I had to clip the pleco's pectoral fins to pull it out. They were almost like fish hooks!
:( I guess that's why they evolved those specific "anti-snack" defenses

Stingro

How long does it take to get datnoids to that size? And do they look their best with those brown sand? I've been thinking about getting those brown sand for my datnoid and bichir tank.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
He looks amazing! I was contemplating buying a little guy yesterday when I ran across two.

These fish have always been on my bucket list! Your’s is a spectacular specimen

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
How long does it take to get datnoids to that size? And do they look their best with those brown sand? I've been thinking about getting those brown sand for my datnoid and bichir tank.
There were two small ones at Aquarium paradise yesterday. I almost pulled the trigger as I’ve always wanted one, but figured I needed to research more. I’d love to have one in with an arrowana like I’ve seen in a bunch of videos!

FishBeast

Great looking dat!
Thank you! :)

I got him in January 2017 at around 3". I hear that growth can really vary, it depends not only on water change regimen, diet but also on genetics too somehow. The sand is red garnet recommended by @DMD123 from a local place in Port of Tacoma... It is supposed to bring out bichir patterns well.

He looks amazing! I was contemplating buying a little guy yesterday when I ran across two.

These fish have always been on my bucket list! Your’s is a spectacular specimen

Thank you! I got mine from Aquarium Paradise 3 years ago! I did see those 2 dats when I was there on Thursday... Do it! Hehehe. They seem very intelligent and have great personality.

Stingro

Thank you! :)

I got him in January 2017 at around 3". I hear that growth can really vary, it depends not only on water change regimen, diet but also on genetics too somehow. The sand is red garnet recommended by @DMD123 from a local place in Port of Tacoma... It is supposed to bring out bichir patterns well.

Thank you! I got mine from Aquarium Paradise 3 years ago! I did see those 2 dats when I was there on Thursday... Do it! Hehehe. They seem very intelligent and have great personality.

red garnet, the same stuff they use for sand blasting? That is safe for fish?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
red garnet, the same stuff they use for sand blasting? That is safe for fish?
Yep, thats the same stuff, super popular with bichir keepers. Really makes them “pop”. I still am a holdout and have not converted. My polys look okay but I know the stripes would really look better on the red garnet.

Because its a natural product, color can vary a bit. I ordered a sample of garnet and it was purple.

Stingro

Yep, thats the same stuff, super popular with bichir keepers. Really makes them “pop”. I still am a holdout and have not converted. My polys look okay but I know the stripes would really look better on the red garnet.

Because its a natural product, color can vary a bit. I ordered a sample of garnet and it was purple.
I'll try it, I'll see if the local hardware stores have it. I use to have a sand blaster lol never thought about using the sand for aquarium.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I think most people generally are using a 3060 medium which is like a 2-3mm size. Should be heavy enough not to get stirred up too much.

Stingro

I think most people generally are using a 3060 medium which is like a 2-3mm size. Should be heavy enough not to get stirred up too much.
I've been looking for this but no luck. Where do you guys get this exact red garnet media? Can it be ordered online?