Indonesian Tigerfish - Datnioides microlepis

FishBeast

Update on Datnoid size. Eyeballing about 3 Coke cans long, 14” or so. Just a hurried shot this morning before work. Tank glass dirty

C018FE56-F036-408C-BE06-B0EBF27B34E5.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
How is the interaction level? Been eye balling one for sale but it is a dud at the store. Zero interaction... sits at the bottom of the tank doing nothing.

FishBeast

How is the interaction level? Been eye balling one for sale but it is a dud at the store. Zero interaction... sits at the bottom of the tank doing nothing.
I have mostly had good cichlid-like interaction from mine. Very inquisitive and runs up to the front of the tank begging for food. He is also the tank boss and this might embolden him too. He has been 90% stable since small and only becomes unstable or super black when I rearrange decor.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have mostly had good cichlid-like interaction from mine. Very inquisitive and runs up to the front of the tank begging for food. He is also the tank boss and this might embolden him too. He has been 90% stable since small and only becomes unstable or super black when I rearrange decor.
Thank you for that. The amphilophus hoga I currently have are driving me nuts. Aggressive little buggers that just cause problems in the tank. Looking for something calmer... lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue him.
He's probably sad and will be happy when he gets into your tank. :D

He is at steal at $150 for about a 9" IT Dat. Been talking to other dat owners and asking about him and know it is priced very well. Just so reluctant to spend that kind of money on a fish that does not react at all to you. This is why stores sell so many Oscars, lol. You cant help but want one when they dance around when they see you.

FishBeast

He is at steal at $150 for about a 9" IT Dat. Been talking to other dat owners and asking about him and know it is priced very well. Just so reluctant to spend that kind of money on a fish that does not react at all to you. This is why stores sell so many Oscars, lol. You cant help but want one when they dance around when they see you.
That's a great price! You never know until you bring it home hehe. See if the store will let you "test drive" the fish for a couple of weeks.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
That's a great price! You never know until you bring it home hehe. See if the store will let you "test drive" the fish for a couple of weeks.

My wife saw it and thought it was a dud too... I have to answer to her too! lol

She has a say so since its in her living room!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Great pic! Reminds me of when I had my Red Bay snook. The yawns are incredible.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I had not commented about one aspect of your dat, the fact it was stable. It looks awesome by the way. I mention the stability issue because Aquarium Paradise has one that looks on deaths door and has horrible colors and stripes look terrible. Well they threw in some feeders and the fish came to life. Its bars and colors popped and it was definitely a healthy fish! Had to mention that because I appreciated how nice your dat looks!

Betty

Staff member
That lip flex reminds me of some of my cichlids doing the same thing. One time I had a fish stuck with his mouth like that because he had a Plecostomus stuck in there. I had to perform an emergency procedure to get it out!