How many nets do you have?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
So I have searched high and low for this 'European blown glass fish catcher' kordon talks about and I have not seen anything. If they were used it seems a few should have survived. Found tons of other cool vintage aquarium stuff.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
And not ancient. She made this modern off a technique from reed catching fish nets and put a glass spin on it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Most of what I found were like woven baskets or woven nets, at least that one is somewhat in the ball park.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Maybe we should contact Kordon and ask them to reference literature to this "European blown glass fish catcher" lol. Are they possibly trying to pull some wool over people eyes for product sale?

A

Anonymous

3. Small, medium , and large :)

I know this is off topic but when I was reading this thread this popped into my mind. The best net storage device I've ever bumped into; the suction cup mount for an old GPS unit. One side of my aquarium is kind of my storage area. Thought of it one day and stuck a GPH mount onto the side of my tank. Perfect storage for these things.  Just throwing it out there...

Betty

Staff member
DMD123 said:
So Kordon says "Practice will help in learning this proven method of fish catching that was first done centuries ago in Europe using catchers made of blown glass."

So I have been looking on-line to see if their were any such items, like antiques to collect and I cant find jack. I thought it would be a cool collectable item.
I have a old aquarium book by William T. Innes (originally published in 1935; I think mine is from 1952) and in it there is a paragraph about "glass nets" along with an illustration. He said they were like large clay smoking pipes and were used by some Europeans, but were also available in America.  He goes on to describe it and its use.  :9*:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Betty said:
He goes on to describe it and its use.  :9*:
 :9*:  LOL, been looking for a use for that one.

I think it would be cool to own one of those 'vintage' fish keeping tools.