How many nets do you have?

Betty

Staff member
I was trying to organize some of my aquarium supplies and found that I have 11 nets of assorted sizes and colors, including a red one.  :roll:

A

Anonymous

I have 5.  One is for big fish and 4 are standard size in different colors.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I have quite a few myself, including a really nice big one I use for the big boys... it is 14x10

I also keep a handheld pond net available!
The one net I'm missing for my collection? A little brine shrimp net

KaraWolf

I have 3, more if you count betta cups as nets LOL my first a small black, then my shark got too big to be safely caught so iI picked up a 5" red one, and then neither fit in my 2 gallon or capture shrimp so I got a tiny betta mesh one. And I'm starting to wish the red one had another half foot of handle. Its so short.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Prior to move I had 6. Apparently my roommate kept a few because now I have 3 and I gave one to my mom with the tank I gave her, so now only 2 :( Both are pretty good sized, both large, one fine mesh the other course with long handle. I need to get a little bit smaller of one or buy my mom a long handled one and get the smaller one back from her. :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
KaraWolf said:
And I'm starting to wish the red one had another half foot of handle. Its so short.
I know what you mean that is why I got some of the Hagen Marina Easy Catch nets. They make the 5" and 8" versions with a 16" handle.

KaraWolf

thinking about getting those massive waterproof gloves llol
That bowl thing loooks like it would be heavy but the description has a great idea: fly swatter as a fish Herder :D

pbmax

Goodness, I probably have 15 or more.  :shock: I'm not at home to count... ;)

I have several brine shrimp nets, a couple tiny ones for dwarf shrimp (these work great for duckweed too!), and a bunch of coarse and fine mesh nets, the largest of which is 10", I think.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
KaraWolf said:
the description has a great idea: fly swatter as a fish Herder :D
My thinking is if Im going to use a fly swatter, essentially a grid on a stick, why dont i just use a net?  :tongue: 

Betty

Staff member
DMD123 said:
Since we are on this subject... anyone own or use one of these?  :scratch: 

http://www.kordon.com/kordon/products/aquarium-pond-accessories-2/fish-catcher

I know it looks like one of those 'put that in your pipe and smoke it' kind of things but its really used for catching fish.... really it is.  ;) 
Yes I do!  :oops:  From back when I was saving fry and having such a hard time catching the holding moms in tons of rock.  Mine is modified now.  I had to cut part of the handle off to rescue a fish that swam up and got stuck in the handle. Never leave the thing in the tank unattended!

KaraWolf

DMD123 said:
KaraWolf said:
the description has a great idea: fly swatter as a fish Herder :D
My thinking is if Im going to use a fly swatter, essentially a grid on a stick, why dont i just use a net?  :tongue: 
because your standing there with 2 nets in a tank one as herding function one as catching and its hard to herd when. They keep going into and the out of the wrong net that your not holding in a fashion to scoop. >< drives me batty. Plus. I'm short so quick switch doesn't work well.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Surprised that I only had seven. Looks like I need to buy more!  :lmfao: 

cichlid-gal

I have one or two nets for each tank.  The nets "belong" to the tanks and therefore the fish in them.  I don't cross nets as I always worry about illness spreading via a net or siphon or something.  I really do try to keep each tank's equipment just for that tank.  It has taken me time to accumulate all my equipment but I like doing it like this.  I worry a lot less.

Betty

Staff member
DMD, I'll let you try mine out some day if I can find where I stashed it -- out in the garage somewhere.

Daniel, I had one with the extendable handle, but I haven't seen that one in a long time.

Donna, even though I have so many, I don't use them very often so they have a chance to really dry out.  I used to wonder if I should dip them in bleach water or some other type of solution to make sure there wasn't any cross-contamination.

Betty said:
DMD123 said:
Since we are on this subject... anyone own or use one of these?  :scratch: 

http://www.kordon.com/kordon/products/aquarium-pond-accessories-2/fish-catcher

I know it looks like one of those 'put that in your pipe and smoke it' kind of things but its really used for catching fish.... really it is.  ;) 
Yes I do!  :oops:  From back when I was saving fry and having such a hard time catching the holding moms in tons of rock.  Mine is modified now.  I had to cut part of the handle off to rescue a fish that swam up and got stuck in the handle. Never leave the thing in the tank unattended!
At one of the little asian aquarium shops in Chinatown the guy was using this, it was crazy how quick he was catching stuff! he just scooped those right out!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So Kordon says "Practice will help in learning this proven method of fish catching that was first done centuries ago in Europe using catchers made of blown glass."

So I have been looking on-line to see if their were any such items, like antiques to collect and I cant find jack. I thought it would be a cool collectable item.

The only other thing I found which was totally cool was this:
http://pool32mag.blogspot.com/2010/12/150th-anniversary-handblown-glass.html