How and what abouts of a canister filter

Fern

Sandnuka, closing off the valves like that can damage the cascade filters, I've had to repair more than one from someone using the ball valves on the hoses to regulate the flow.

protocl

Depending on the setup, this unit can be configured in several styles; can cause surface agitation, helping gas exchange b

protocl

The output setup on xp's can be configured as a spray bar, jet nozzle, surface level or mid tank level.
As for surface agitation: this helps with aerating the tanks water.

Doza

Salzabar said:
I have had magnum 350 canisters since 91' when they came out. I still have 2 of the orignals and one that I bought used from Markster. Yes it has its deficiencies when compared to the newer generations of canisters but all I have ever done to keep them running is change the o-rings. To me that says alot about the quality of marineland products and for that I must advise on anything from Marineland. The Magnum 350 is not produced anymore but the new C-series looks promising.
What do you mean they are no longer produced.. Seen them sold everywhere still

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3595

Doza

Of course.. it would just give you more flow threw the sponge giving you more mechanical filteration out of the sponge.. Most ppl run the air pumps cause of the savings in electricity.. one less thing your drawing electricity for and i think runing an air pump will benifit the bacteria more as well than running the powerhead...

Do you mean sponge attached to a canister.. Being the thread is about canister filters? Cause you can do that as well.. Could have it as a prefilter for your canister or have it on the outflow as well.. Having a sponge on as like a prefilter would more than likely hurt your flow rate significantly tho depending on the sponge you are using.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I never thought about using one on the actual canister filter itself. It took us a while to discover the sponge filter system so that's why I put a little suggestion on here just in case they were unaware of that option. I have heard that the angels like some flow so that's why I suggested the power head. I prefer the idea of the air pump myself. I have a 30 gallon that's getting set up tomorrow for angels and I will more than likely be putting a sponge filter on, as well as having a bubble wand across the back. Hopefully they will be ok with that. They are currently in a 10 gallon with an HOB. So I'm sure they will be MUCH happier lol. I didn't realize they needed tanks bigger in size as my mom always had angelfish and kept them in a 10 gallon. But their wish is my command lol :)

Doza

its an idea... Me myself just like you would just run one off a acrylic tube and a air pump.. and alot of times people house things in allot smaller of tanks than what they really should.. if you can afford it really bigger is always better no matter what the species is..i feal bad whe i see descent sized oscars and its not just one but 2 still sitting in a 55gallon.. Oscars should not be so easily obtained..

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Yeah I looked into it further online and found a mating pair of angels should have at minimum of a 20 gallon tank. So we recently aquired a 30 gallon bowfront. Now my two will be going into it hopefully later this week or early next week. Just gotta let it set up. :)

Hopefully we didn't get too far off topic and were still able to help out dondud some. :)

Salzabar

What do you mean they are no longer produced.. Seen them sold everywhere still

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3595[/quote]

True, they are for sale from stock that has not sold yet but if you contact Marineland they will tell you that the Mag 350 is not produced anymore replaced by the C-series canister filter. Which also means parts for the Mag 350 are not produced leaving the Mag 350 owners to scramble for parts. Try and find double quick disconnect valves for sale at a LFS. APFP had some in a backroom that they sold me for a ton of money but saved me the hassel of finding them online and have them shipped.