How and what abouts of a canister filter

dondud

I was thinking if putting a canister filter in my 55 gal tank for my angelfishes..
what kind is good?
what all do i need to know about the canister filter?
Maintenece for them?

anything about canister information will help.

thanks

protocl

I would recommend Rena XP4, since angels do not enjoy high rate of flow. this unit comes with an adjustable output valve.

Fern

I like the cascades for how simple they are to clean and setup. They also tend to be cheaper than the other brands just because they don't have all the weird gizmos and gadgets! Just media trays inside now weird confusing things that will break. They also come with a nozzle output or a spray bar so you can 'adjust' flow that way, you would want top use the spray bar with angles.
Keep it in a shallow bin of some sort so you don't have to screw off the hoses every time you clean it, just pop off the top and set it in a bucket, you will lose some water that way and that's why you want to keep it in a bin. But that way you don't wear out the plastic threading.

Canisters are great you can stuff lots of different media into one!

Betty

Staff member
Canisters are great you can stuff lots of different media into one!
I agree! And they are quiet, unlike the hang on back power filters. I used to open my cabinets to make sure they were still running.

I have five Rena XPs of various sizes and one Eheim. I really like the Renas best. Very simple to maintain and I never spill a drop. http://www.planetrena.com/Rena-Filters.html

protocl

With any canister filters, except the fx5 and others like it; repriming can be a pain in the arse, if air is trapped within the intake hose.

Salzabar

I have had magnum 350 canisters since 91' when they came out. I still have 2 of the orignals and one that I bought used from Markster. Yes it has its deficiencies when compared to the newer generations of canisters but all I have ever done to keep them running is change the o-rings. To me that says alot about the quality of marineland products and for that I must advise on anything from Marineland. The Magnum 350 is not produced anymore but the new C-series looks promising.

shua

cascade 1000 low maintenance adjustable flow rate cheep media quite unit and ez prime unlike the most of them out there. i own three canisters a fx5, mag 350 and cascade 1000 and the cascade is my fave to work with and the magnum is a joke it dose a great job just the assembly is retarded.

sandnuka

Ive had every canister out there.... Each brand is good for something.... I would say cascade for the price has the best flow, but also has allot of bypass issues and water doesnt get as clean.... fluval keeps water very clean, but the flow is not half as strong.... I think rena xp is a nice in between canister... great flow, and has allot less bypass than cascade... hands down eheim is the greatest, but they are expensive, very expensive. So I am going to
13868.gif
Rena XP4 for a 55gal.

Fern

I've never had a priming issue with a cascade canister. I practically gave away a fluval 404 because it took forever to get the dumb thing running again

larry.beck

Fern said:
I practically gave away a fluval 404 because it took forever to get the dumb thing running again
Really? I used to have that problem but have since learned how to get it properly primed so that startup is pretty automatic. Took a few times though, esp. since I only clean it out every 2 months or so.

Paintguy

I've got a 404 and have found you need to shake out the air bubbles on startup, then it takes off. Also drips till the air is out.

dondud

what about Rena XP2?
would it work for my 55 gal with angels?
Also what about JEBO 829 External Canister Filter?

Fern

larry.beck said:
Fern said:
I practically gave away a fluval 404 because it took forever to get the dumb thing running again
Really? I used to have that problem but have since learned how to get it properly primed so that startup is pretty automatic. Took a few times though, esp. since I only clean it out every 2 months or so.
I have 36 tanks, it pissed me off for several hours trying to get the darn thing running and then it did it again. I don't have the time to fight with finicky filters like that. I will never ever buy another fluval. Cascades have never given me issues like that and are quick and easy to clean and re prime and are pretty decent filters all in all, I have never found fault with them other than the potential wearing out of the plastic threading on the hose valves, I avoid that by not unscrewing them.
They fit my needs; cheaper, simple guts, versatility in the trays, quick to clean, easy to prime, good filtration. Oh ya and they are quiet, but that's not one of my needed features :lol: My fish room has lots of water noise :lol:

sandnuka

dondud said:
what about Rena XP2?
would it work for my 55 gal with angels?
Also what about JEBO 829 External Canister Filter?
Yeah xp2 would be fine on a 55gal, but I would itleast put another HOB on it..... xp3 would kinda be my min on a 55gal alone.....

Yes cascade has a control valve

Fern

No, they do come with an output option, either a directional nozzle or a spray bar both in the box. So the spray bar would distribute the flow nicely and would be fine for your angels. The directional nozzle is more of a point and shoot for the higher flow tanks.