Hey everyone

Lora

Just introducing myself, hey! I am fairly active on various Facebook fish groups but wanted to hang around here while I try to figure out the source for a new/used 180-200 gallon tank in my local area. I have a lead on a 200 but its got a repair and I am having day dreams.. nightmares? of it leaking in my house. Anywho I haven't been in the hobby very long, roughly a year and a half but am in deep after breeding some amazing ryukins I bought from Zhao's Fancies. I have planted tropical tanks, planted cold water tanks and will be receiving an amazing axolotl in the mail this week, his or her tank is ready and waiting and, also, planted. Looking forward to getting to know my local fish people a little better.

clownie

Welcome! Yeah, i saw your ad on FB for the ryukins. Thought about getting some for a min then.....NAH, got too many other things going on in the fish room.It gets pretty addicting ,this hobby. You should post some pics of those Zhao fish. I hear he dose amazing stuff!

Lora

Thanks for the warm welcome! First photo is the Sakura male from Zhao, second is the bronze female from Zhao and last is one of the babies. Best. Hobby. Ever. Once I find my large indoor tank I can pull all the babies out of the pond, some have a pretty nice hump that the parents don't have.

IMG_3765.JPG IMG_3333.JPG image.jpg

Mike16T

Thanks for the warm welcome! First photo is the Sakura male from Zhao, second is the bronze female from Zhao and last is one of the babies. Best. Hobby. Ever. Once I find my large indoor tank I can pull all the babies out of the pond, some have a pretty nice hump that the parents don't have.

View attachment 4304 View attachment 4305 View attachment 4306

Very nice.. Not a lot of people breeds those locally. Good job! ^_^

Lora

Thanks Mike! The parents spawned like a day after they were shipped to me and I was like "uhhhh I guess I'm doing this...." and learned really quickly all about breeding goldfish. Its been super fun and I'm looking forward to doing it again... One day I will get my hands on some blue egg phoenix but am having a blast with the ryukins.

Mike16T

Thanks Mike! The parents spawned like a day after they were shipped to me and I was like "uhhhh I guess I'm doing this...." and learned really quickly all about breeding goldfish. Its been super fun and I'm looking forward to doing it again... One day I will get my hands on some blue egg phoenix but am having a blast with the ryukins.

Nice! Lucky...
You ever tried or looked at the butterfly tails?

Lora

I have a beautiful lavender and chocolate butterfly telescope from Ken at Dandy Oranda's but she's the most delicate thing and can only eat repashy. Which is totally fine since that's what I feed all the goldfish but man.. I don't think I could breed a fish that "special needs" and sell them to the general public. So far I have only had one fish out of 80 at the time that had floaty issues out of the babies I bred and I culled that fish. That being said I've only had the one butterfly telescope so no idea if they're all that delicate. I did give away some culls that had butterfly tails though.. they were pretty cool looking from above :D

Lora

They're pretty addictive @VickiK ;) I never really gave them a second thought but we have so many power outages I decided to lean towards cold water tanks and here I am. I am way too lazy to fire up the generator.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
They're pretty addictive @VickiK ;) I never really gave them a second thought but we have so many power outages I decided to lean towards cold water tanks and here I am. I am way too lazy to fire up the generator.

You're smart that way, Lora. If we had a power outage that went on for a long time, I'd be screwed. Nothing I have is super sensitive - like Rams or something - but 7 tanks of stuff, someone's gonna get hurt! LOL

Lora

Yeahhhh, I have two tropical tanks and .. used to have three cold water tanks but my 55 sprung a leak so now its a total of 400 g outside for the goldies. I really need to figure out my big indoor tank for them... any who I digress! The longest power outage we've had was 15 days and nothing would likely survive that, that was before my fish hobby.. at my new house in Woodinville the longest so far I *think* was 4 days? maybe 5 and that killed everyone in my first tank. Too many trees in western wa haha

Betty

Staff member
Welcome to the forum -- Beautiful fish!

I've been lucky and haven't lost fish during a couple of 3-4 day power outages. We do have a generator now, but hopefully won't need it!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Yeahhhh, I have two tropical tanks and .. used to have three cold water tanks but my 55 sprung a leak so now its a total of 400 g outside for the goldies. I really need to figure out my big indoor tank for them... any who I digress! The longest power outage we've had was 15 days and nothing would likely survive that, that was before my fish hobby.. at my new house in Woodinville the longest so far I *think* was 4 days? maybe 5 and that killed everyone in my first tank. Too many trees in western wa haha

Those trees are the GIFT in living in WA. They can jack stuff up, but aren't they awesome? *Tree Hugger*

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Welcome to the forum -- Beautiful fish!

I've been lucky and haven't lost fish during a couple of 3-4 day power outages. We do have a generator now, but hopefully won't need it!

HI BETTY - it seems like I haven't seen you in AGES..LOL

Lora

Thanks Betty!

Yeah yeah yeah trees are great. I've just lived 'in the boonies' long enough and had enough land that we always lose one or two a year. Less land now by far so its not as bad yet still had to take out a bigleaf maple after half of it dropped in my mini's pasture. I'm from socal though and am more comfortable seeing the horizon even though I've now lived here in the PNW longer.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
I lost power for 6 days during the Hanukkah Eve windstorm in 2006, but had a Scandanavian 'Fjord' brand wood-burning stove in my fish room. I closed the room off, dragged a mattress in there, and spent 6 days feeding wood into the stove; boring, but I didn't lose any fishes. My new place has a propane-powered generator, which is a much better solution. :)

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I lost power for 6 days during the Hanukkah Eve windstorm in 2006, but had a Scandanavian 'Fjord' brand wood-burning stove in my fish room. I closed the room off, dragged a mattress in there, and spent 6 days feeding wood into the stove; boring, but I didn't lose any fishes. My new place has a propane-powered generator, which is a much better solution. :)

I remember that horrible time. I only had one fish tank at the time (which I still have) and in it was some hearty little somethings...I don't remember now. But I DO remember, dragging a mattress into the living room and using Presto Logs in my condo's fireplace to keep warm. I was even cooking coffee on the thing, boiling water for baths, etc. Me, my daughter - who was visiting from DC - a dog, two cats and three parrots all hanging out by the woodstove...LOL