Hello come talk Im new

JimA

Re: Hello come talk Im new

killacam88 said:
yea right!!! my lil pickacu (chehuahua-Pekingese) is so mean he attacks pits and any other dog he biten a couple ppl.. any pit iv had in my life have been tuff dogs but so sweet to ppl and kids and small animals and dogs.. fighters have made the dog bad and an ugly name... but as ppl say You Cant Judge The Book By Its Cover

Sure they get a bad rap, but you never hear of a Golden retriever or a Pekinese ripping a little kids face off, go figure.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

JimA said:
killacam88 said:
yea right!!! my lil pickacu (chehuahua-Pekingese) is so mean he attacks pits and any other dog he biten a couple ppl.. any pit iv had in my life have been tuff dogs but so sweet to ppl and kids and small animals and dogs.. fighters have made the dog bad and an ugly name... but as ppl say You Cant Judge The Book By Its Cover

Sure they get a bad rap, but you never hear of a Golden retriever or a Pekinese ripping a little kids face off, go figure.  
Maybe not a golden retriever or Pekinese but it is one of the top 3 family dogs: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2003849/Boy-3-left-horrific-facial-injuries-Labrador-savages-Poole-Harbour.html

Never mind the dog that saved a woman and her young child that the PIT didn't even know.
http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2011/02/pit-bull-saves-woman-child-from-attacker/

The only reason pits are portrayed in the media is because people feed into it and get into an uproar and cause drama when the breed is in the media. Gives the stations attention and ratings, of course they are going to focus on that.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

Here is some info in regards to dogs/pitbull bites:

" A study by Pickney and Kennedy (Pediatrics 1982) listing DBRF from May of 1975 through April of 1980 lists German Shepherd Dogs as the #1 killer for that time period, Husky type dog second and Saint Bernard third. “Indeed since 1975, dogs belonging to more than 30 breeds have been responsible for fatal attacks on people, including Dachshunds, a Yorkshire Terrier, and a Labrador Retriever.”

Municipal Court Judge, Francis X. Gorman (7-8-2004 Toledo, OH) stated: “Obviously the ratio of dog bites per dog versus dog population seemingly would be relevant in this case. .. Candidly, this court feels that ... Pit Bulls do not cause the most bites in the United States. Certainly the bites of mixed breed dogs far exceed those of the Pit Bull because there are many more mixed breed dogs than Pit Bulls. Moreover, even local statistics indicate that, for example, the Chow bites more frequently than the Pit Bull.”

A recent study of the medical charts of minors seeking medical attention for dog bites did actually reference the breed involved (as identified by the veterinarian providing proof of rabies vaccination) to the total breed population as could reasonably be determined by administrative district records (Pediatrics, March 2006). The resulting risk index showed that German Shepherd Dogs were 5 times more likely to cause bite trauma than “pit bulls”.

To put all of this into perspective I offer some additional information that I discovered. In the United States, approximately: 2,000 children are killed every year by their parents, through abuse and neglect (A child is 800 times more likely to be killed by their adult caretaker than by a “Pit Bull”)

Dr. Ian Dunbar, a veterinarian and behaviorist from Berkeley, CA. believes the entire issue is overblown. He maintains more people are killed annually by tripping over their own slippers than all fatal dog attacks combined, regardless of breed.

Even Dr. Julie Gilchrist of the CDC agrees. “The truth is that SUV’s are far more dangerous than pit bulls, and they’re still on the road."
"

hose91

I'm a dog guy.  Also, I literally have no dog in this fight (boo - terrible pun  :roll: )  

From the ASPCA website on Pit Bulls:
The Influence of a Fighting History

When two dogs fight, the conflict is usually ritualized. The objective is for one dog to win the disagreement with little or no bloodshed. The participants try to intimidate each other by engaging in plenty of dramatic-looking behavior, which may include posturing, circling, growling, showing teeth and snarling. Bites delivered during a fight are typically inhibited because the point is to cause pain but not necessarily to inflict serious injuries. Pit bulls have been bred to behave differently during a fight. They may not give warning before becoming aggressive, and they’re less likely to back down when clashing with an opponent. When provoked, they may become aggressive more readily than another breed might. Sometimes they don’t inhibit their bites, so they may cause injury more often than other dogs.

Should You Keep a Pit Bull Away from Other Dogs?

Pit bulls were genetically selected for their fighting ability. What does this mean? It doesn’t mean that they can’t be around other dogs, that they’re unpredictably aggressive or that they will always fight to the death. These are all common myths about pit bulls. It does mean that they may be easily encouraged to fight with other dogs.

So, much like fish, there are traits that are common across the species/breed, and in some cases those traits have been bred into (or out of) the genetic blood lines, but of course each animal is also an individual shaped by its experiences and resultant personality.  I don't believe that you can discount the fact that a dog breed was bred for fighting (and there are certainly more than just the American Pit Bull Terrier or the American Staffordshire Terrier) especially if you own one.  I have a Newfoundland that insists on standing in the waterline between the surf and any people, especially me or my kids, ready to rescue us if necessary (though I think he'd have no clue how to do that, really!).  That dog never gets more than 45 yards from us in the field.  I also have a Coon Hound who, if unleashed, will take off like a shot on a scent and come wandering back about an hour later (maybe).  Neither has ever been trained for those things, but its what their breeds generally have been bred to do, so they sort of instinctively seem to behave that way.  Additionally, neither is willing to mimic the other.  The hound has no interest in water, and the Newf will follow the hound for about 40 yards and then break off and come bounding back to where ever we are.  I'm aware of these tendencies and behaviors, so I warn families at the beach what my newfie is up to when he shadows their kids, and I don't let my coon hound off the leash unless we're inside a solid perimeter of some sort.  I'm not for or against Pit Bulls, but I think you have to recognize their genetics, much like we do with fish.

killacam88

i Think its just improper breeding... bad owners beating there dog more then u should (all dogs need to be pushed and dominated especially males with nuts) they do it with rage teaching the dog its ok to fight and be angry and explosive and afraid of others.. and the name they get dud3e rotts got the same rap chuhuahuas have it too dobbys mastives german shepards any dog thats large pretty much gets a bad rap but its actually the lil F-ers that do the most attacking

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

However, if you go off of genetics bred and not how animals are raised and taught then we wouldn't have any of these breeds and we'd all have outside wolves for pets. There is much more outside of this now. You can work with those breeds to train out or tone in those behaviors. Yes they have those drives in them, but they can be locked away or allowed to be brought out too. It's ALL in the owner. Look how many of Michael Vicks dogs went to loving homes with families with no fear of them attacking. Homes with children and other dogs too.

hose91

It's not improper breeding, it's improper training and treatment.

I think we generally agree.  It's definitely in the owner and how the dog is raised and treated, but if you own one, you should be aware that in instinctive moments, some breeds have more potential than others to do something you don't expect in terms of violence or fighting, although that can also be true of any individual dog. That's part of your job as an owner of any dog, imo, but even more so with breeds that have long histories of being fighting dogs.

killacam88

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
However, if you go off of genetics bred and not how animals are raised and taught then we wouldn't have any of these breeds and we'd all have outside wolves for pets. There is much more outside of this now. You can work with those breeds to train out or tone in those behaviors. Yes they have those drives in them, but they can be locked away or allowed to be brought out too. It's ALL in the owner. Look how many of Michael Vicks dogs went to loving homes with families with no fear of them attacking. Homes with children and other dogs too.
Ya u have a very good point there =) i concur..

killacam88

yea its just ppl either make them be bad or they just to stupid to own a dog and care less that there dog thinks there bitchs and has to step up and protect them.. it is easy to raise them wrong i know we all see it everyday someones dog pulling sico like on the leash to get the car the bike the mail man the kid or the other dog and they just stand there pulling on it scared and stupid like like what to do omg im just a idoit why wont my dog listen,, um well stupid person u shouldnt own a dog if u cant even own urself the right way thats why it treats u like a guppy =))) haha i yell at ppl like that =/
 :scratch:  can u tell it makes me mad? haha

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

hose91 said:
It's not improper breeding, it's improper training and treatment.  

I think we generally agree.  It's definitely in the owner and how the dog is raised and treated, but if you own one, you should be aware that in instinctive moments, some breeds have more potential than others to do something you don't expect in terms of violence or fighting, although that can also be true of any individual dog.  That's part of your job as an owner of any dog, imo, but even more so with breeds that have long histories of being fighting dogs.
Improper breeding is in terms of letting dogs who are overly aggressive no matter the breed allowing them to reproduce. An imbalance like that can be passed down.

killacam88

yea or like breeding brothers and sisters or moms with sons or other way around thats what i mean with improper breeding it makes for a well up dog

A

Anonymous

killacam88 said:
yea or like breeding brothers and sisters or moms with sons or other way around thats what i mean with improper breeding it makes for a well   up dog

What's " up dog"? ! LOL, nice word play!  Sup Dawg?