Has COVID 19 impacted you?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Just a lounge question.

Has COVID 19 impacted you?

I work as a manager for a cleaning company and thankfully we have contracted work (Grocery stores) in play so no real issues. People are thinking about cleanliness so we are still working. As to personal life, Sunday services were canceled until further notice due to the ban on meetings over 250. I dont have any school aged kids so not affected that way.

My son works at a restaurant and said yesterday during his shift he only had 3 tables. The restaurant was talking about closing down for awhile.

How about you guys? Have you been affected by this?

sir_keith

Legendary Member
... Has COVID 19 impacted you? ...

If it hasn't, then you are either terminally clueless or haven't been paying attention.

I am a molecular biologist with a Ph. D. from Princeton and a postdoctoral degree from Yale, and I spent 30 years doing medical research and teaching microbiology at USC and UW. I fully understand the seriousness of this situation, and am acting accordingly.

I am retired, and live alone, so it was easy for me to clear my calendar. For the next two months, and more if necessary, I will be going nowhere and seeing no one. I will take no chances. I will occupy myself with playing in my fish room, tending my garden, going for the occasional drive in the country. I will chat with my girlfriend everyday on FaceTime. For now, that will have to do.

There are many things you can do to protect yourself; you'd be beyond foolish not to take this seriously.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Kids are out of school for the next 6 weeks. Our Japanese student leaves for home Wednesday, 2 weeks ahead of schedule. High school events canceled. Church services canceled. Our pastor will be able to live stream the sermon.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Being a teacher, I won’t have kids for the next 6 weeks, but will have to apparently go to my empty classroom starting next Thursday to post updates to the students..... which could be done in the privacy and safety of my home.

I think they are doing it for public perception ( like yes, the teachers are still working)

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Being a teacher, I won’t have kids for the next 6 weeks, but will have to apparently go to my empty classroom starting next Thursday to post updates to the students..... which could be done in the privacy and safety of my home.

I think they are doing it for public perception ( like yes, the teachers are still working)

At least you have a fish tanks in your classroom ;)

Joel

Administrator
Staff member
We've locked down borders with mandatory 14 day isolation. 8 confirmed and 2 suspected cases but hasn't grown much at all. Hoping that will help the situation but no doubt it'll sneak in regardless. Intense !!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My wife and I have stayed home with very limited contact with anyone. Yesterday I needed a few groceries so I stopped at Target and there were entire sections like bread, milk, cleaners and what not completely empty. A bit of a laugh that no matter how bad the situation apparently no one wanted loaves of bread with raisins in it. That was about it for bread left, raisin and a few expensive Dave’s Killer Bread products.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Stopped by grocery store by my work and got bread. They were not as wiped out as my local Target store but the lines were pretty backed up.

While not in direct contact with individuals because of working in an office, my boss was concerned that our cleaning crews are going to multiple locations and then coming back to our warehouse. He is considering having me work from home along with one other office person. Wouldn’t mind it at all. Will see what happens.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Was at Central Market this morning at 5 a. m. for a huge shopping; the only thing I noticed that was unavailable was chicken. I then went to the allergy clinic in Silverdale for my immunotherapy shots, which I get every 3 months. Ordered fish food backups online. I now have absolutely nothing on my calendar until mid-June.

The next few weeks will be rough.

Parts of Pennsylvania have closed all the liquor stores. :eek:

FishBeast

Hello all! I am a primary care M.D. who works at a clinic attached to a hospital with an active case of COVID-19. This is a real, once in 3-4 generation world event. More people will die before it lets up. If a vaccine proves promising it may take 12-18 months before widespread availability.

At work, we are clearing out health maintenance and physical exams from our outpatient schedules. We are ramping up the ability to see patients virtually over webcam for quick and easy stuff! Non-emergency surgeries are all cancelled/postponed. My 3 sons are home from school, they are all getting their lessons over the Google classroom or video conference software. Thankfully my wife can stay home with them.

Hope everyone is obeying the CDC recommendations.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
@FishBeast- Welcome back! And thank you for reinforcing the view that COVID-19 needs to be taken seriously. I have nothing but respect for people like you who are on the front line...

On a lighter note- today I was summoned for jury duty in Kitsap County on April 13. Duh!!!

FishBeast

@FishBeast- Welcome back! And thank you for reinforcing the view that COVID-19 needs to be taken seriously. I have nothing but respect for people like you who are on the front line...

On a lighter note- today I was summoned for jury duty in Kitsap County on April 13. Duh!!!
Thank you! It’s awesome that you have such a fund of expertise and knowledge in this stuff too!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Every day at work has been a process of disinfection of things possibly touched by others.... feel like this will be the new way we do our jobs. Just a lot more thinking about the possibilities of contamination when its on the news so much. One of our older workers who is retiring this year has asked to not have a coworker but to be alone because of the fear of possible issues. My boss still hasnt made a decision as to whether or not to let me work from home but I feel pretty safe at our office as long as the current things stay as is.

FishBeast

Every day at work has been a process of disinfection of things possibly touched by others.... feel like this will be the new way we do our jobs. Just a lot more thinking about the possibilities of contamination when its on the news so much. One of our older workers who is retiring this year has asked to not have a coworker but to be alone because of the fear of possible issues. My boss still hasnt made a decision as to whether or not to let me work from home but I feel pretty safe at our office as long as the current things stay as is.
I do recommend we all work from home if at all possible! More time with fishies too hehe

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I do recommend we all work from home if at all possible! More time with fishies too hehe
I would love to. At the moment our cleaning business is busy with no stores making cut backs (we clean grocery stores). I probably could do a lot of my work from home but we are actually seeing a spike in our work with stores requesting extra services during this time frame. While not a health care industry job, when something like this pops up, apparently cleaning jobs are in higher demand.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My boss decided to let me work from home for the next two weeks. I go in tomorrow to get items I will need and then I settle in and wait.