Habrosus Corydoras

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
i have 7 cory cats(1 panda, 1 albino, and 5 emerald green ones) in my bedroom tank with some of my cichlid growouts (red texas, dovii, lyonsi) they do a great job motoring all over the tank and don't seem to get chased by my growouts. The only negative was that I had to change my substrate. I originally had sand( virgin white silica sand) in my tank, but they always shot it up into the tank making it cloudy as they were foraging for food or just playing..... now I have small black and white gravel(it looks almost like gravel chips) in there, and they dig that too.

pbmax

My garage cory tank is gravel mixed with PFS and the gravel always ends up on top. I should start skimming it off... ;)

BillHN

They do have... black flourite gravel... and black flourite sand....... >_>?

For my peppers.
I used the crappy white sand / gravel from petco (expensive too...... I WISH I KNEW BETTER BACK THEN!#!@#!@#$!$$)

And I'm using pool filter sand for my Pandas.
Probably gonna use Pool filter sand for my H. Cories.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have the equivalent to an over sized cory cat... a Hoplo. The way the this cat acts is just like a cory, only its about 4.5" long. Not cute but very active and outgoing. I use the sand madness uses, I think it called Lapis Lustre. Not too fine and the fish love it.

Was so happy with this little cat... I got a volta giraffe cat. Basically a HUGE over sized cory!

nick_76

i do prefer the red to black substrate, but yea...that could be a solution if i didnt have an established tank already

What the..... I've never heard of Hoplo fish before, AND NOW I WANTS ME SOME!!! :bounce:

Where might I find these wonderful fishies? ;)

Flyfalcons

I love my bronze cories, they're the nutballs of my tank. All over the place, lots of wiggling, and rarely in a straight line.

A

Anonymous

HEY NICK_76 STOP YELLING! ;)

Got about 230 lbs of fluorite gravel sand mix in a 140 gallon tank. Probably over the last 5 years I have more than likely sucked out most of the sand, lol. But yeah, it did mix. There was no way to keep it separated conducting deep gravel vacs. Now that I dont do gravel vacs the remaining sand seems to settle to the bottom.

Currently have a school of Emerald green "Cory" cats & they dont seem to mind the fluorite. I've taken a super close look at this substraight and it has round edges.

nick_76

their barbells is something i watch pretty closely, but all 7 seem to be doing very well..i think flourite perhaps has less sharp edges than regular aquarium gravel, perhaps? i did lose one cory...i used to have 4 of each, but that was in the early stages of the aquarium so that was practically expected

i dont think ill be doing a sand cap..in retrospect i dont think i wouldve done anything differently- the tank appears to be doing great and a cap might look good at first, but in the long run i imagine its a hassle...and since i wont be doing another tank in the near future...(now how many of us told ourselves that? how many actually believed it?)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
PokeSephiroth said:
What the..... I've never heard of Hoplo fish before, AND NOW I WANTS ME SOME!!! :bounce:

Where might I find these wonderful fishies? ;)
I got mine from the B&I pets in Tacoma. I've seen them at APFP in Burien before. Very outgoing cat, got mine to eat bloodworms out of my fingers the other day.