Habrosus Corydoras

BillHN

Any tips on them anyone? I'm going to get these guys for a few nano tanks that need some "de-worming" haha.

They're uber cute, and honestly I can't stop looking at them lol....

Also.... I saw them at Cory's shop... GOOD PRICES TOO....
But I forgot to buy them.... >_>
I derped when I was in federal way bragging about how I got them to a friend and then when I went to show him them....

Yerp..... :|

Wait, what are they? I tried googling H.Corycats, and it just brought up a bunch of varius corycat fish... and not one specific one.

Unless that's exactly what you're asking for LOL..

I have Sterbai, Julii, and Albino Cories, and they seem to do well together. They absolutely LOVE eating algae sticks from Ken'sFish... and Cory told me that if you're going to mix and match certain species of corydoras together, you should have at least three of each type because like like being in their own groups, but still like to travel together with other corydoras.

I like to think of them as the "grazing cows" of the fishworld because they look so cute when they graze together, especially if you have sand, because they like to dig their little snouts into the sand, it's SO CUTE TO WATCH THEM DO THAT!! NYAWWWW!!! :D

(not my video, but just loooook at theeeeem...*Swoon*)
[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/owiF7T7Sczo" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

nick_76

i have 3 emerald green corys and 4 spotteds...they are entertaining to watch in larger groups. if i wasnt doing partial water changes every 3-4 days (only 10 gal at a time) id probably stock a few more corys. 2 of my spotteds appear to wanna breed..

now that ive thinned (weeded?) my tank, i can see the gravel and more of my corys...till the vegetation grows back!

BillHN

I use sand for my cories, apparently they like that more (I've seen them shove their faces into the substrate and sift through!!!!!)

I have 12 panda's
and 14 peppered.

nick_76

yea, i wish i had sand, but i already have a layer of flourite down...from what i understand, putting a cap of sand on top looks good at first but eventually becomes a mixed up mess, rather than growth medium on bottom and "pretty " sand on top

nick_76, I wonder... what if you get sand that's similarly colored to the flourite? That way it kinda blends in naturally (color-wise) lol... hrmmmmm... :D

pbmax

I spotted another couple of fry in my panda breeding tank, finally. I had a bunch of them a while back, but only a couple survived the move to the grow-out tank. Now I have a couple more babies, which is good. Once I reach critical mass in my garage cory tank (another 10 or so I think) I'll start selling them. All but one of my current stock were born in my tanks and I think I have 17 at the moment.

In retrospect I wish I'd gone with Habrosus over Pygmaeus... good luck with yours! :)

nick_76

poke- would be nice, but the majority of my stuff is the reddish colored substrate, havent seen the same color sand, or id jump on it

nick_76, ohhh I see... hmm... well, you coooooould just get rid of the flourite stuff and go dirt! LOL!!! ;-) kidding aside, what about setting up another tank? HEHEHE...

pbmax, oh boy, please let me know when you have enough of those little cories, I'd love to buy some off of you! :D

nick_76

id really rather they not breed...but if they do, then they do...

its just i dont have the support equipment/time/energy that the fry would deserve/need to survive

pbmax

Fluorite and eco complete aren't supposed to be good for barbells, from what I've read. Of course neither is tahitian moon sand, but mine don't seem to care.

nick_76

poke- my apartment is crowded enough as it is with a lab and golden retriever, a 75 gallon tank and a spare tank that i gotta get around to craigslisting for someone braver (or has more time/money/space) -its frameless and needs the rear pane of glass replaced

nick_76

also, if i were to set up a second tank in my place, theres a reef tank that may be moving into my apt, which means i have to move my office book cases into my bedroom

pbmax- i know this isnt the best substrate for them, but they appear to be doing fine with no barbel erosion, but i would prefer to give them a substrate they like

pbmax

Yeah, folks say that, but I've also read that it's only a problem if the corys are stressed or have some other underlying health issue. Tahitian moon sand is supposed to be too sharp for them but mine have super long barbells and appear quite healthy.

But yes - they like to sift the substrate and spit it out through their gills. This is a little tough to do with fluorite, eco complete, or gravel.

nick_76

YEA, MINE APPEAR TO BE DOING FINE...BUT WHOS TO SAY THEY CANT BE DOING BETTER? AND IF THERES AN INTERESTING BEHAVIOR TO BE SEEN, IM GAME...IM JUST CONCERNED ABOUT HOW LONG MY CAP WOULD STAY SEGREGATED FROM THE UNDERLYING FLOURITE

and no, i didnt mean to type that in all caps, but i also dont feel like retyping it >shrug<