GSAS Presents: Mike Wise - Apistogrammas - October 8th

Seattle_Aquarist

October 8: Mike Wise - Apistogrammas

Mike Wise has been a fish hobbyist for over 35 years, specializing in dwarf cichlids. He curates Apistogramma at the Cichlid Room Companion web site, has had articles published in several magazines and received writing awards from the ACA and FAAS. Mike has also translated into English three German language books on dwarf cichlids, as well as many scientific and hobby related papers. He is one of the contributors to the German/English book South American Dwarf Cichlids a "Special Publication" (Sonderheft) published by the German magazine DATZ. Among his many experiences are two, month-long collecting trips in which he of lived, ate, and collected fish with native collectors in Peru, Ecuador and Colombia. Mike has given programs at ACA & BCA conventions, as well as to local, regional, and international fish clubs on the various aspects of collecting, identifying, keeping, and breeding dwarf cichlids.

Mike will speak for us on the genus Apistogramma. If you thought Apistos were just Triple Red Cacatuoides, you're in for a surprise!

In addition to the regular meeting Tuesday night, Mike has also agreed to do a second for GSAS members only, Saturday October 5th, 5PM (talk starts at 6), at a secret undisclosed location (GSAS members please check our GSAS.org website for information).

Mike's talk is sponsored by Zoo Med Laboratories as part of the American Cichlid Association Speaker Program.

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A6%3Enu%3D3369%3E787%3E264%3EWSNRCG%3D3585685%3B85338nu0mrj

BallardFishGuy

Roy - Do you think you could post this in the Cichlid part of the forum too, I'm afraid people won't see it here and i'm sure many would like to come hear Mike Wise speak Tuesday!!!

dwarfpike

Sunday? Still trying to figure out the site. I only see the sat and teus (will be coming down for the teus too)

BallardFishGuy

Sunday night is a small private gathering at a members house to hear him speak on 21st Century Apistos..  You have to be a GSAS member and then RSVP to get on that list...they were taking 10 people.  Can't wait!

BallardFishGuy

I also happen to live a few blocks from where the Sunday meeting is at, so that works!

...and welcome aboard! I'll look for you at the meeting, we wear name tags (it helps).

Ryan

dwarfpike

That's funny. The Sat one isn't too far from mine, but of course I'm house sitting all the way up in La Conner when it's happening. :scratch: 

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I have student conferences all the way till7:40 Tuesday, but I'd love to go. Being a new apisto lover, this would be perfect to feed my addiction! Is there a place we could watch it online? If it were streamed I could check it out between conferences

A

Anonymous

lloyd378 said:
I have student conferences all the way till7:40 Tuesday, but I'd love to go. Being a new apisto lover, this would be perfect to feed my addiction!  Is there a place we could watch it online? If it were streamed I could check it out between conferences
GSAS members have access to pasts presentations online. But there is no live  stream.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
What does membership run? I'm not sure I will be able to attend many "live" meetings as with my young kids I'm usually needed a lot at night especially dinner, bath, and bed time.... But being able to watch online after the fact may be worth it! Thanks. This presentation sounds really cool

Betty

Staff member
lloyd378 said:
What does membership run? I'm not sure I will be able to attend many "live" meetings as with my young kids I'm usually needed a lot at night especially dinner, bath, and bed time.... But being able to watch online after the fact may be worth it!  Thanks. This presentation sounds really cool
It's only $15 for a year's membership. That membership gets you discounts at sponsor stores. The meetings and auctions that follow make it a late night for those of us who live far away, but I  try to make it to as many meetings as I can.  They're usually interesting even if you know nothing about the subject matter and there are good deals to be had at the auctions.  (Oh, they also have raffles and door prizes at some of the meetings.  The first meeting I went to, I won a book on Tanganyikan cichlids by Ad Konings and since he was the speaker that night, I got him to autograph it for me. :D The last meeting I went to, I won a bag of little cory cats!)