Good low-tech plants

lloyd3778: As I've posted in my previous post (in this thread) there are multiple types/species of Elodea that are illegal to own/sell/distribute in Washington, but there is one type of Elodea that is legal, I just don't know which one that is... I think it's Elodea Canadensis (Canadian Water Weed). Cory might know the exact name of it.

We sell the right type of Elodea at the store (Aquarium Co-Op) :D

On a different note, Marimo Balls are also a great low maintenance "plant" although it is technically an algae, it's one that looks nice. Here is a little "set up" of them in a little vase. Now, I will warn everyone, that these are all artificial marimo balls, they're just those fuzzy craft balls (pompoms) that you can buy at craft stores, as real Marimo Balls can be quite spendy. I do plan on replacing them with real marimo balls though. This is basically how they look in the wild, they just tumble around in the lake (Akan Lake in Japan, and whatever lake they form in, in New Zealand) the tumbling motion is what gives them their round shape. Really neat to have in a low tech tank.

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/m9E0AHpTNJc" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Wait, you expected me to read all of the posts word for word? Thanks for the info

pbmax

PokeSephiroth said:
lloyd3778: As I've posted in my previous post (in this thread) there are multiple types/species of Elodea that are illegal to own/sell/distribute in Washington, but there is one type of Elodea that is legal, I just don't know which one that is... I think it's Elodea Canadensis (Canadian Water Weed). Cory might know the exact name of it.

We sell the right type of Elodea at the store (Aquarium Co-Op) :D
Egeria Densa aka Brazilian Elodea aka Anacharis is classified as a noxious weed in the state of Washington and is illegal to buy / sell / transport / possess. Please see the "Washington Fishbox and the Law" global announcement for details.

pbmax

Exactly.

The only plant remotely called or associated with Elodea that is illegal in this state to my knowledge, based on the WA noxious weed list, is "Brazilian Elodea", Egeria Densa. Any Elodea that is not Egeria Densa is perfectly legal, to my knowledge. :)

pbmax

PokeSephiroth said:
Yes, so Elodea Canadensis would be legit, right? It looks so cool, sells pretty well too.
If it's been properly identified as such, yes. I used to keep elodea... gets long and stringy pretty quick though.

I'm pretty sure Cory would know which elodea is legal to sell or not, otherwise he wouldn't be selling it at the store =P

Our elodea does grow fast, but the leaves tend to stay really close together because we have good lighting, I guess. I have a tank that has low light and the leaves are further spread apart, while the elodea in my 20 gallon long dirted tank grows similarly like the ones at the store, makes sense though. =P

pbmax

PokeSephiroth said:
I'm pretty sure Cory would know which elodea is legal to sell or not, otherwise he wouldn't be selling it at the store =P
I agree. :)

Has Guppy Grass been mentioned yet? This seems to grow everywhere with no trouble at all.

We've got guppy grass floating in a lot of our tanks at the store, so yeah, I s'pose that would also be considered a good plant for low tech tanks. Good call on that one!

ditto, I eventually just threw all of it away, to make more room for other plants to grow because it was just taking up way too much space.

Paintguy

I would suggest Anubias for anyone trying out plants for the first time in a low light situation. Slow growing, but very hardy.

pbmax

Paintguy said:
I would suggest Anubias for anyone trying out plants for the first time in a low light situation. Slow growing, but very hardy.
Anubias Nana Petite is my favorite - beautiful plants :)

Not my photo...

anubias%20barteri%20var.%20nana%20petite.jpg

CrazedAce

I have troubles with Anubias, it never seems to grow as fast as the algae does. I mentioned guppy grass earlier and it is definitely easy to grow, just throw it in and wherever it sticks it will take hold and grow. I haven't had a problem with it crowding my tanks, not like water sprite did...

Watersprite was like a weeeeeed for me and my tanks, oh my goodness. Guppy grass is up there as well it does grow slower, but when left alone, it will also over take your tank (which can be great, if you're into that kind of stuff. haha)