Good low-tech plants

LuminousAphid

Hey guys,

I just wanted to start a thread on good plants for low-tech (No CO2, low-moderate light, light or no ferts) set-ups. I personally just don't have the money for a CO2 system right now, and I don't think I have enough experience to do dirt, so I am sort of training myself on a couple small, low-tech tanks to start out with. I have been experimenting with various plants ever since I set up my 20 gallon a couple months ago, and have had some success and some failure, which is to be expected. I am lucky enough to have a good source for both plants and personal knowledge (thanks Cory), but I'm sure some people on here don't, so I will share some of my experiences and invite you all to add your own suggestions for low-tech plants.

I know there are a lot of other factors besides the ones I have mentioned, and if you have plants that generally fit but might have specific needs (e.g. root tabs/soil), mention them as well. As long as a plant can be reasonably accommodated in a low-tech tank, mention it and let us know what your experience with it is. I'm just going to go in the order in which I picked up the types of plants:

Aponogeton bulbs
I got a bulb pack like the ones you find at the big box pet stores, but it was just aponogetons. They grew pretty well in my 10 gallon for a couple of weeks, but once they got big, deficiencies started to show in the older leaves. They are a good starter plant because they will grow, but as a long-term plant, needs more care than I would say qualifies as low-tech

Anubias - nana and barteri
There are a wide variety of these, from tiny variations to very large species, but these ones are on the small end. The ones I got don't show a great difference in size, and now that I split both of them into smaller plants, I can't really tell the difference. They like to be attached to rocks or wood, with the rhizome above the substrate (not buried), but as far as I know the actual roots can be buried. I really like the look of having the roots exposed, but I'm sure some people might not. They grow very slow, so are undemanding, but I have had problems with algae growing on the broad leaves. Amano shrimp do a good job of keeping them clean.

Water Lettuce
This plant is great for beginners like me, because it will absorb a lot of nitrogenous waste directly from the water, which means easy to grow and makes the water quality better. It can also shade lower plants, so it might not be a great choice if you have very low light, but I think it will grow fine in lower light. It reproduces with runners, little miniature plants that sprout off the main one, and soon you will have many individual plants as the runners break from each other. I have had issues with brown algae (diatoms) growing on the roots, oddly enough, but that may be a combination of too much light and extra silicates from new substrate.

I will update this further when I have more time, I have to go do a water change on the 20, nitrates are high!

Lamental Jester

Java Ferns
I have these in my 29 gallon.  Just using basic aquarium gravel as substrate and a single T8 10,000k bulb.  No ferts or dosing, just an occasional water change:
null_zpsaaa32fa5.jpg

Water Wisteria
I also have this in my 29 gallon (and 20 and 75).  It's a fast grower

One thing to note about my 29 gal: although it's just basic gravel and I don't fert, it is a pretty long established tank

pbmax

My easy standbys:

Ludwigia Repens Narrow-leaf (stem plant, so it likes water column ferts)
Sagittaria Subulata (undemanding root-feeder, propagates by runners)
Crypts (undemanding root-feeders, slowly propagates with under-substrate runners)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
This is the perfect thing for us plant shy people. It makes me want to try some live plants.

CrazedAce

Anacharis
Aponogeton
Dwar Water Lilies
Guppy Grass
Hornwort
Java Moss, only when its kept with shrimp
Water Sprite/Wysteria

Basically, if you want your plants to do really well, don't move them or destroy them when chasing fish around with a net. I've had a 10gal overrun with aponogeton and got seeds to drop and had dozens of seedlings. The Anacharis has reproduced at least 100 more stems/plants since I got it from PokeSephiroth earlier this year. It's in all of my tanks now, along with guppy grass and hornwort, all of which could be floated or planted. I wish my water lilies did better with me, but I always damage them and end up pulling them out of the bulb before they are well developed and they slowly die off and come back so no reproducing, but definitely worth it to have plants in with cichlids! Java moss is something I've also had a problem with growing, as it never seems to do well in my tanks. It either A) melts B) grows algae all over it or C) seem to be healthy but never grow in my RCS tank.

Water Sprite and Water Wysteria are a dangerous plant! You may be overrun with them in all your tanks in as little as three months. It is very high maintenance but you can get some amazing cover for a tank with this stuff. I've gone through thousands of plants and ended up giving most of it away for free.

Live plants are totally worth it, but be smart and get them from someone on this forum, as you are GUARANTEED healthy plants for cheap or even free.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned:

Elodea:
And although, yes Elodea is illegal in Washington state, there IS one type of Elodea that is not illegal, and we have that at the shop (Aquarium Co-Op). It's a fast grower, can be planted or left floating, and can easily be propagated by clippings.

Marimo Moss Balls:
Technically NOT a moss, but more like an algae, they are undemanding and don't require a whole lot of light. Dump em in your tanks and that's all you have to do.

Bolbitis Heudelotii:
This stuff looks really neat, I thought it was some kinda of java fern at first. Stuff grows pretty easily :D

LuminousAphid

Thanks a lot for all the other suggestions, I am trying out as many types of plants as I can right now to see which grows well without much maintenance. My tank is finally getting to the point of being moderately-planted, but I keep moving things around in the 20 so nothing has really taken off yet.

So far my favorites are (and I have sort of high light, so these may not do well for lower light):
Anubias barteri & nana
Ludwigia - I don't really know which type I have, it's reddish-green
Java Moss
Valisneria - I have regular and corkscrew, the corkscrew seems to grow slower and no runners yet, but the regular still produces lots of runners and grows pretty quickly without tons of light
Guppy grass seems to be doing well so far

I'm trying out the Elodea that PokeSephiroth mentioned, I have high hopes for it. I'm also trying water sprite, I planted a little to see how it does but I'm floating most of it.

You will be happy with that Elodea, it's basically a fail proof plant that does well in different water conditions. Possibly the most hardy plant in my plant arsenal :D

Val takes a LOOOOONG time to establish in a tank, but when it does, it grows like a rampant plant. :Dgive it some time, even if the leaves melt, as long as there is new growth, it's okay. Mine took like 3 months before it started shooting runners, and now it's growing like crazy. :D

jrmakawoody

+1 on elodea and vallisneria My Elodea and Vals grow like CRAZY, I have to hack them back pretty often to keep them in check. I have also had good luck with Cabomba Caroliniana.

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi LuminousAphid,

Let's add to the list:

Ludwigia sp 'Red'
Most Cryptocoryne species
Limnophila aromatica 'Wavy'
Pogostemon erectus
Helanthium tenellum (Echinodorus tenellus/Pygmy Chain Sword)
Echinodorus angustifolia 'Vesuvius'
Barclaya longifolia
Cuphea anagalloidea
Rotala sp 'Bengladesh'
Eleocharis sp (tall hairgrass)
Nymphoides sp 'Taiwan'
Hygrophila lancea
Ludwigia repens X arculata

10 gallon no CO2
232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A2%3Enu%3D3369%3E787%3E264%3EWSNRCG%3D365936%3B6%3B5338nu0mrj

20 gallon no CO2
232323232%7Ffp%3B%3B7%3Enu%3D3369%3E787%3E264%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C%3B6669%3C4338nu0mrj

A

Anonymous

Trust me. I seen roy's low tech 20 gal tank. Plants are flourishing without co2. Thanks again Roy.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So many good ideas from this, keep them coming you guys!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
DMD123 said:
This is the perfect thing for us plant shy people. It makes me want to try some live plants.
exactly. i just wish everyone included a picture next to the plant description..... I can google each one, but that's not as convenient...

thanks everyone for chiming in on this thread. very useful for me(as of yesterday)

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
PokeSephiroth said:
You will be happy with that Elodea, it's basically a fail proof plant that does well in different water conditions. Possibly the most hardy plant in my plant arsenal :D
I was told numerous times, when helping the science teachers with their setups that elodea was illegal to buy in washington, as it is considered an invasive species. Was I misinformed? and if yes, is it readily available?