ghetto, genius or "other" ??????

Anthony J.

Re: ghetto, genius or "other" ??????

20131006_120934_zps2a0cb2a5.jpg

20131006_121123_zps560ad6ce.jpg

Kinda funny, made the rest of the room appear dark.

A

Anonymous

Anthony J. said:
I was thinking of mylar, but here is a link on the subject from fishlore.com

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/diy-do-yourself/111789-diy-light-reflector-ideas.html

evidently, just plain white paint is a good alternative.  But mylar is 90% reflective. I will turn the lights off and on and take pics to show, give me a few minutes.
The reflective acrylic panels look awesome. Could probably use epoxy of some sort to secure the panels...

Anthony J.

Guess what I have been up to today????? READY!!!

20131006_151744_zps6150daa7.jpg

20131006_152623_zpsa4c89c1c.jpg

20131006_153223_zps6133a4a5.jpg

20131006_153254_zps81b33e19.jpg

20131006_154718_zps428de617.jpg

20131006_155105_zps3a056724.jpg

20131006_155356_zps6efc9f11.jpg

20131006_161254_zps6cbd6ffb.jpg

20131006_161506_zpscd514c31.jpg

20131006_171107_zpsad92d771.jpg

20131006_171135_16_zps5ed61771.jpg

And that is how you put a mailbox on top of your aquarium ;)

A

Anonymous

That is DIYfabulious. It's HUGE!

A

Anonymous

Anthony J. said:
Thanks, it is big, but it was pretty fun.
Heck yeah! I've made light hangers out of coat wire hangers and mini halogens, & remake my DIY CO2 reactor/ defuser about every other month...lol

MRTom

This is very nice looking! Is there any chance you'll try to run the cables inside the pvc in the future? You're giving me lots of ideas for cable management here!

Anthony J.

The original idea was to hide the cables in the pvc, but, pvc on its own has to much flex and would bow without the wood in the middle. If you went up to, say 1" pvc, and used the same dowels I did, there would be enough room. The problem with that, for me at least, would be the cost difference. This light stand (stand only) was less then $15. Move up to 1" pvc, I bet you almost double that. So, its sill not super spendy, but, if I can do it cheaper, and have pretty much the same effect, then that's what I usually go with. And, I literally slapped this together in 45 minutes from raw material, to what you see now, I am sure I can hide the wires better, I would just have to tinker with it a little.

Thanks for all the kind words. I had my doubts, but, I had an idea and I just ran with it. I'm happy with the outcome. I'm happy to have inspired ideas.

Anthony J.

I will add, the center bulb is old, and probably doing nothing for the plants. I hear its best to replace them every 6 months, so I will do that soon..... oh another thing I liked about this was that I can pull 1 or all or 2 or whatever 23 watt bulb, and replace it with a 10 watt, so, if you something that doesn't like that much light, or, you cant keep up with algae, maintenance or whatever, you can make subtle, but notable changes. Also just raising the light, or lowering it has big effects as well.

MRTom

Genius, and lots of it! Now I am thinking of doing something similar to light up my office desk. :) Love the adjustable feature!

Lamental Jester

Isn't defacing a USPS mailbox a felony?  Lol

jail_zpscf314619.png

But in seriousness.  Awesome job, very creative, and looks dang good!

LuminousAphid

Oh my god, I was looking all over when I was trying to run a metal halide over my tank, for something exactly like this.... how did I not think of that? ARGHH!!!

Thank you very much though, I will totally try using this in the future when I have a bigger tank and can use that metal halide again

edit: also, looking at your stand, you might want to incorporate some side-to-side stabilizers, so that it can't slide off one end and possibly throw the mailbox into the water. It would be a slim chance, but better safe than sorry

Lamental Jester

binbin9 said:
Next project turn a fish tank into a mailbox. That's a neat idea
On the next episode of Tanked:  Fish-tank-mail-box  :laughhard:  I wonder how much of that ceramic fake coral crap they love to use they'll be able to fit into it :lmfao: