20131005_161634_zps935c4325.jpg
20131005_161909_zps7dd5fbe8.jpg
20131005_170116_zpsacc80fc1.jpg
20131005_171608_zps1ff8188f.jpg
20131005_171753_zpsc0128609.jpg

3× 23watt spiral cfl 6500K :)

Anthony J.

Re: ghetto, genius or "other" ??????

Lol, thanks. I'm still trying to figure out how to suspend it above the tank so I can go open top. Yeah that's right, this top comes off ;)

MRTom

You could suspend it on 2x4s over the tank and fasten the whole thing with duct tape a la Red Green! Heck, the duct tape will even match the color!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III

Very interesting..... :scratch:  What's it mean when the red flag is up? :joker: 

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III

Reduce, reuse, recycle.... Nice way to repurpose something..... Let's see the tank with this setup above it, please

A

Anonymous

I am a DIY guy myself. I would have never thought of this! Ha!

Nick_87 said:
Use legos, it what all the cool kids are doing!
LOL!

Something this big I think I would consider suspending it from the ceiling.

pbmax

Looks good! How well does the metallic paint work as a reflector?

Anthony J.

Thanks all,
D, red flag removed and holes taped over and painted. (See picture 2)
Lloyd, as you wish http://www.wafishbox.com/t8258-my-planted-20-inspired-by-seattle_aquariast
fishNabowl, I spent about 2 hours in ace determined, it worked out.
I was thinking of constructing a bar over the top of the top of the aquarium, on legs, or maybe on the aquarium rim itself. Its not very heavy, but I used the mailbox because these bulbs get hot, and wanted pleanty of room in case I wanted to set it directly on the glass. I was thinking a combination of pvc fittings, cut to fit and held to wood with screws. Essentially, instead of pvc, I would use wood, but still use the T fittings for feet, and 90° elbows for the cross bar, or something.... I think. But I want to be able to hide the wireing, or at minimum, run it along the top bar and legs, as running it down the wall, would be ugly imo, said the guy with a mailbox on top of his aquarium ;)

Anthony J.

Not as well as I was hoping, but better then it would have if it was left alone. I might consider that reflective tape if I did it again. Actually, it wouldn't be hard to slap it in the mailbox anytime. But, I will see how this works.

pbmax

What kind of reflective tape and where would one get it? I've been on the look-out for a good DIY reflective solution but I haven't come across anything that will work well.

A

Anonymous

pbmax said:
What kind of reflective tape and where would one get it?  I've been on the look-out for a good DIY reflective solution but I haven't come across anything that will work well.
You can find tape at hardware stores used on ducting that is so shinny it's mirror like. Reminds me of new shinny chrome. I used it on an old system with T8 lights attached to a wood hood. Worked awesome, would have to say it increased PAR lest by 20%.

I think it was this stuff....
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Duck-1-88-x-15-yd-All-Purpose-Duct-Tape-Chrome-6-Pack-888789/203032204

What was neat about this stiff is I could bend it like aluminum foil to reflect the light where I wanted it.

A

Anonymous

Anthony J. said:
fishNabowl, I spent about 2 hours in ace determined, it worked out.
I was thinking of constructing a bar over the top of the top of the aquarium, on legs, or maybe on the aquarium rim itself. Its not very heavy, but I used the mailbox because these bulbs get hot, and wanted pleanty of room in case I wanted to set it directly on the glass. I was thinking a combination of pvc fittings,  cut to fit and held to wood with screws. Essentially,  instead of pvc, I would use wood, but still use the T fittings for feet, and 90° elbows for the cross bar, or something.... I think. But I want to be able to hide the wireing, or at minimum,  run it along the top bar and legs, as running it down the wall, would be ugly imo, said the guy with a mailbox on top of his aquarium ;)
This may work out good! Part of the DIY process is trial & error. I can't tell you how many times I've made stuff only to change it again, and again, and ....

pbmax

fishNAbowl said:
You can find tape at hardware stores used on ducting that is so shinny it's mirror like. Reminds me of new shinny chrome. I used it on an old system with T8 lights attached to a wood hood. Worked awesome, would have to say it increased PAR lest by 20%.

I think it was this stuff....
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Duck-1-88-x-15-yd-All-Purpose-Duct-Tape-Chrome-6-Pack-888789/203032204

What was neat about this stiff is I could bend it like aluminum foil to reflect the light where I wanted it.
Hah, I didn't realize they made chrome duck tape. :) The only tape I could think of was the aluminum HVAC tape, but that has black labeling all over it. Thanks for the info!