Fungus

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Note lower right side. I'm thinking this fellow tried snuggling with a heater. I will water change tomorrow and wait until Monday before starting more meds.
PXL_20220506_234445293.jpgPXL_20220506_234433262.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
This has been a tough one to kick. The fuzzy exterior growths dont look to be shrinking. The dye directly to the spots seems to be a good recourse. Keep us posted on his response and recovery.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I think I am finally seeing some improvement. I have been dabbing meth blue directly onto the fuzz. I think it's getting smaller.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
If the fish is active and eating, that is a very good sign, as is the fact that the fungal mass has not increased in size. MB was the first anti-fungal agent developed, and is still generally useful for treating infections that are resistant to other agents. Many fungal infections extremely difficult to treat: my father had a chronic fungal infection in his feet that he contracted in the South Pacific during the war and carried for his entire life.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
If the fish is active and eating, that is a very good sign, as is the fact that the fungal mass has not increased in size. MB was the first anti-fungal agent developed, and is still generally useful for treating infections that are resistant to other agents. Many fungal infections extremely difficult to treat: my father had a chronic fungal infection in his feet that he contracted in the South Pacific during the war and carried for his entire life.
I wonder how many service members came home from the Pacific with diseases not seen here.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I wonder how many service members came home from the Pacific with diseases not seen here.
Many. But not nearly as many as the Europeans who were bringing 'civilization' to Africa during the days of Empire, and died in the process from endemic pathogens. Thus the origins of 'Tropical Medicine' as a distinct field of medicine in the imperial European powers of the 19th century.

Jared Diamond published an influential book in 1997 entitled 'Guns, Germs, and Steel' in which he described the important role that European pathogens played in the decimation of native cultures in the New World. He did not consider the similarly important role that African and Asian pathogens played in the (largely unsuccessful) resistance to European invaders.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Well, the fungus came back with a vengeance. I was able to source some Fritz maracyn and maracyn 2. I did the 5 day course of maracyn and then started the M2. Unfortunately, it was not enough. The fuzz had started to spread to the edges of the scales along the body.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
That's a bummer. Fungi reproduce via haploid spores, which are largely resistant to antimicrobial agents, and form the basis of recurrent infections, as you are seeing now. :(