Forum Ideas, and Concerns

A

Anonymous

Where'd that guy go? He was very active on the forum, now can't find him! Did he get booted, or delete profile?!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Good question..... I noticed a lack of participation from him recently

A

Anonymous

Last time he was on. When he trolled on my ad post. And madness had to clean it up.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
SiRWesDragon said:
Last time he was on. When he trolled on my ad post. And madness had to clean it up.
Well, there's no room on this forums for trolls! Well played madness

Kaosu

SiRWesDragon said:
he was not trolling your thread.

he deleted his account.

im pretty close to being done with the forum my self ^_^

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Kaosu said:
SiRWesDragon said:
he was not trolling your thread.  

he deleted his account.  

im pretty close to being done with the forum my self ^_^
Sorry to hear this! What's causing you to be upset with Fishbox? I may be naive to some issues on here, and This is an attempt at an honest question. Feel free pm me, if you don't want it public knowledge.

Madness

Staff member
When the issue on the thread occurred, I politely sent him a p.m. and asked him to refrain from those types of comments. They only cause issues. He deleted his account. All I can do is treat everyone the same, and try and keep peace. If people dont like the way things are run, I am not stopping them from leaving. You all have no idea how many negative comments I clean up on a weekly basis, and how many people get bent out of shape when you ask them to either do something a certain way, or to stop doing something. It comes with the job I guess, you cant please everyone. :roll

We have a good group here and I hate to see anyone leave, especially if its because they feel they have been wronged or are upset with the way things are run. I would rather they p.m. me so that we can discuss the issue/issues.

Leaving was his choice, and Kaosu Id hate to see you go also.

In fact, if anyone has any comments or ideas for improvement, please let me know, or if you see/have issues, please let me know there also. We dont want to lose anyone, but like I said above we cant please everyone, all we can do is our best to please most. :D

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I think you are doing a good job, madness.

As for suggestions, I would like to see you add some new members that also love the sa/ca cichlids.....:lol

A

Anonymous

madness said:
When the issue on the thread occurred, I politely sent him a p.m. and asked him to refrain from those types of comments.  They only cause issues.  He deleted his account.  All I can do is treat everyone the same, and try and keep peace.  If people dont like the way things are run, I am not stopping them from leaving.  You all have no idea how many negative comments I clean up on a weekly basis, and how many people get bent out of shape when you ask them to either do something a certain way, or to stop doing something.  It comes with the job I guess, you cant please everyone. :roll

We have a good group here and I hate to see anyone leave, especially if its because they feel they have been wronged or are upset with the way things are run.  I would rather they p.m. me so that we can discuss the issue/issues.  

Leaving was his choice, and Kaosu Id hate to see you go also.  

In fact, if anyone has any comments or ideas for improvement, please let me know, or if you see/have issues, please let me know there also.  We dont want to lose anyone, but like I said above we cant please everyone, all we can do is our best to please most.  :D
Well, I was just curious what happened to him that's all. I thought he was an asset to the forum. I've went rounds with moderators on this forum before as well, glad they were/are patient ;)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Great job by the mods keeping this site friendly and welcoming. Otherwise it would be just like MFK where you are afraid to say anything because someone is going to jump on what you say to start a flame war. We do have a good group here! :clap: 

pbmax

Perhaps a lighter touch might be a better approach?

Goodness knows you're not perfect, madness. I saw you delete something you shouldn't have posted a while back and clean up the thread like it was never there to begin with. That made me laugh. ;) Sure would be nice if every one of us had the tools to do something like that huh?

Mods on the internet have been abusing power since its inception, even the good ones. Giving people a little more wiggle-room with what they post might help mitigate the bad taste in their mouths after you lay the mod smack down.

A

Anonymous

DMD123 said:
Great job by the mods keeping this site friendly and welcoming. Otherwise it would be just like MFK where you are afraid to say anything because someone is going to jump on what you say to start a flame war. We do have a good group here! :clap: 

:iagree: :clap:​

A

Anonymous

Please dont leave. This forum helps ppl get information, feedbacks, opinions, how to's from members like you guys whom have alot of experiences in this hobby and a place to sell, trade, and WTB from you all than using www.flakes from craiglist.com

Madness

Staff member
pbmax said:
Perhaps a lighter touch might be a better approach?

Goodness knows you're not perfect, madness.  I saw you delete something you shouldn't have posted a while back and clean up the thread like it was never there to begin with.  That made me laugh. ;) Sure would be nice if every one of us had the tools to do something like that huh?

Mods on the internet have been abusing power since its inception, even the good ones.  Giving people a little more wiggle-room with what they post might help mitigate the bad taste in their mouths after you lay the mod smack down.
Unfortunately for you all, you are right, you dont have the ability to delete something that you said, that you probably shouldnt have. I did say something without thinking, we all do/have. I had the ability to delete my comments, and if I didnt have that ability, I would have notified someone that did, to delete it. All of you have that ability.

When comments are made that I feel are inappropriate I will delete them without question, and I will notify the individual involved. We are all human and sometimes our mouths get ahead of our brains. It happens, and when it does I deal with with it.

jettej

One of my post got deleted with no question. I found it rude at first. But at the end I realized I posted a thread that might get me in serious trouble. I felt saved by the guy who deleted my post in the end :)

I like how we have events that are happening and are planned out.
I also like how we REALLY get good information, suggestion, deals and many more benefits from this forum.

We need more NEW people that will be active and serious in the forum. This will also increase the forums activity.

I went inactive to this forum i think 3 times. Not because of the forum itself but the whole fish hobby.but whenever i go back and try to be in the hobby again. This is the first website/forum i visit. Because i know. Members will give me updates and help

pbmax

madness said:
When comments are made that I feel are inappropriate I will delete them without question, and I will notify the individual involved.  We are all human and sometimes our mouths get ahead of our brains.  It happens, and when it does I deal with with it.  
Apparently.

My point is that perhaps a warning shot like a post in the thread or a post edit before going nuclear (post deletion) would be a better approach.  Deleting posts really should be an absolute last resort.  When you do that you not only alienate the offender (deservedly or not), you also make it difficult for others to learn from that incident.  Most folks have someone telling them what to do and how to do it pretty much all day long (boss, parents, significant other, etc.); they like to relax and unwind a bit with their hobbies, including posting on here.  Heavy-handed moderation can makes it difficult to do this for some people.

I'm playing devil's advocate here; I don't think I've had any of my post moderated on here, but I understand the frustration of those that have.  Moderation walks a fine line; I'm arguing for moving that line a couple of inches back toward a more free flow of information.  Granted, you're the BOSSMAN here and you most likely don't give a hoot about what I have to say, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

A

Anonymous

Well I think Madness handled my situation pretty well. My ad was invaded by another posting another persons ad then this person states my ad is a waste of net space. I said things that should be deleted and was deleted. He cleaned up my ad to continue my sale. He cleaned up my ad! Nothing wrong with that! He took something that shouldn't be there in the first place. So give the a guy a break. He is human too. He probably works and has family to care for. He is not on here 24/7 to watch what goes on bad or good.:spoton: 

A

Anonymous

madness said:
When the issue on the thread occurred, I politely sent him a p.m. and asked him to refrain from those types of comments.  They only cause issues.  :D
Like madness said he politely PM that person and me also. After he cleaned up my ad. I was more happier that he did.