Food!!!

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Sorry, but these are way too delicate for garlic. As an appetizer, tossed with a first-press olive oil and a light sprinkle of fresh lemon thyme, and served barely warm, whilst the terroir is in full flower, accompanied by a crisp Sancerre.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I will have to try that. These were tossed in soy sauce and started with olive oil. 2Tbsp Butter and two cloves garlic added with fresh cracked pepper. They were much more wet than I realized when I started cooking them so they were in more of a sauce by finish. They were enjoyed as a side to a smoke sausage log wrapped in bacon and whiskey.
There are more on the tree where I collected them too.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I will have to try that. These were tossed in soy sauce and started with olive oil. 2Tbsp Butter and two cloves garlic added with fresh cracked pepper. They were much more wet than I realized when I started cooking them so they were in more of a sauce by finish. They were enjoyed as a side to a smoke sausage log wrapped in bacon and whiskey.
There are more on the tree where I collected them too.
Parboiling the mushrooms in a little liquid before sautéing will cure your soggy mushroom problem.

clownie

Sorry, but these are way too delicate for garlic. As an appetizer, tossed with a first-press olive oil and a light sprinkle of fresh lemon thyme, and served barely warm, whilst the terroir is in full flower, accompanied by a crisp Sancerre.
As a Chef..... I differ.....

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Speaking of mushrooms, I've never been brave enough to collect my own, although I'm told that this is not a problem for knowledgeable people. There are just way too many toxic look-alikes for uninformed people like me to chance it in the wild, things like this-

Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 10.32.53 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 10.33.22 PM.png
The 'Death Cap' contains alpha-amanatin, an RNA Polymerase inhibitor that is one of the most potent hepatotoxins known, and ingestion by humans is almost invariably fatal. Scary.

That said, informed people forage for mushrooms all the time, with minimal risk. A Swiss postdoctoral fellow in my lab some years ago was particularly expert in this regard, and would regularly make trips to the Washington and Oregon foothills each Fall to collect mushrooms. This is such a serious endeavor in Switzerland that most pharmacies have a trained mycologist in-house, who will go through your 'wild-caught' mushrooms to identify any potentially toxic species (and then you'll have to throw the whole bag away). The ones you can buy in the local market are generally less tasty, but also less risky. :eek:

Last edited:

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Locally, I have found Amanita pantherina AA8716C2-908C-495E-B7D3-DC28A8383C7D.jpeg
and Amanita muscaria82D3333F-D061-4844-8F58-9335F630456D.jpeg
While visiting my brother out in Virginia we found Lactarius piperatus (peppery milkcap) which is edible but very spicey EE0F3E53-D70F-4643-B261-F6AFDC184D69.jpeg

Last edited:

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Wow. Obviously, the toxin I mentioned earlier, alpha-amanatin, is named for the genus. Scary stuff.

Would love to try Lactarius piperatus in the vegetarian cuisine of southern India, or maybe a spicy-hot Sichuan dish, like this-

IMGP6256.jpg

It looks innocent enough, but looks can be deceiving...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Did you eat them? I often make a simple Indian basmati rice dish (Pullao) with morels and garam masala that is quite tasty... :)
Sadly no… I wasnt sure what they were at the time. By the time I got an answer from a friend, it was too late, they had started to turn. I want to try morels one day.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
This was a food item I had back in 2014.

The next picture is not for the faint of heart..... This was my third trip down to Ecuador and finally my first time eating 'Cuy'. This is the beloved guinea pig being deep fried. And FYI, it does NOT taste like chicken - LOL - Taste is more like a dark meat from a Turkey, not my favorite but at least I can say I tried it.
IMG_1613.jpeg