Fish Room History, Tour, and Upgrade 2021.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
A week or so ago I went to the Home Depot to get the first batch of 96" 2 x 4's for my stand modification project; they had tons of them for about $6 each. That seemed pretty pricey, but when I went again today to buy another batch, the supply was low, and they were $8 each. Yikes! Thinking I'd better get everything I need before this gets too crazy, I made two trips to the HD, and now have all the lumber I need. Two trips? Yes, that's what happens when you have a CCV (cargo-compromised vehicle). :(

IMG_2793.jpg

Two-thirds of the stash; the rest is inside already drying out-

IMG_2795.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
A week or so ago I went to the Home Depot to get the first batch of 96" 2 x 4's for my stand modification project; they had tons of them for about $6 each. That seemed pretty pricey, but when I went again today to buy another batch, the supply was low, and they were $8 each. Yikes! Thinking I'd better get everything I need before this gets too crazy, I made two trips to the HD, and now have all the lumber I need. Two trips? Yes, that's what happens when you have a CCV (cargo-compromised vehicle). :(

View attachment 8833

Two-thirds of the stash; the rest is inside already drying out-

View attachment 8834
Construction materials have gone up 160% this past year!!

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Paint It Black! Finished painting the backs of this round of tanks today; just two more to go, but those 45L's still have fishes in them! That will be Round 2.

IMG_2798.jpg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Finally received the last shipment of materials that I will need for the stand rebuild- 24" x 48" MDF panels that will go under the tanks. Here is a pic of the stands moved into their new positions, further from the wall (the pretty kitty is Pixie, a sealpoint Ragdoll)-

IMG_2841.jpg

Here is a pic with the panels just lying on top of the stands. I will be building 6" extensions onto the back of each stand to support the added width of the 75s, and thought about cutting the panels down to the exact size of the new footprint (48" x 18"), but I think I'll leave the panels at their current 48" x 24" size- that way there will be 6" shelves that extend behind the tanks, preventing things from falling onto the floor (see post above!). The tanks need to be that far from the wall anyway to provide room for the two AC110 HOB filters that will be on the back of each tank.

It's supposed to rain next week, so let the construction begin!

IMG_2844.jpg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
The first two stand modifications are complete; I'm just waiting for a friendly neighbor to help me move the new tanks from the garage to the fish room! :)

I don't know whether to paint the uprights black; I'll wait and see how they look with the 45L's in place to decide. It would be easy enough to do at this point

IMG_2896.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
The first two stand modifications are complete; I'm just waiting for a friendly neighbor to help me move the new tanks from the garage to the fish room! :)

I don't know whether to paint the uprights black; I'll wait and see how they look with the 45L's in place to decide. It would be easy enough to do at this point

View attachment 8934
Looks good. I would paint them if just for moisture absorption mitigation.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Mission creep! The first bank of stands and tanks is now nearly complete...

IMG_3120.jpg

... but while I'm doing the second bank I thought I'd do the 75 show tank in the living room as well. The plan is to paint the back black- just can't keep it clean- and polish the front panel. :)

IMG_3111.jpg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Now that the living room 75 is sitting on a flat surface is the bowed bottom gone?
Yes, it is, much to my delight. How'd you know about that? o_O

I did find another issue, however: I was getting condensation inside the canopy that was running down the back of the tank, and the underlying rubber mat was damp. The stand was dry, thankfully, but still not a situation you want to live with. I think the problem is that the canopy traps all the moist air that emanates from the tank, and because it has nowhere to go (at least easily), condensation forms inside the canopy and then becomes a problem. This obviously doesn't happen with an uncovered tank. So my approach has been to fit new covers to the tank inside the canopy that will limit the amount of evaporation that actually escapes from the tank. So far so good.

Here is the tank after I got it running again this morning; I've decided to go minimalist as regards gravel and rockwork in all my Tropheus tanks.

I'm really thinking that I should retire this tank- it's 35 years old- and am keeping my eyes open for a 60" x 18" 100g. New acrylic ones are crazy expensive. :eek:

IMG_3123.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Yes, it is, much to my delight. How'd you know about that? o_O

I did find another issue, however: I was getting condensation inside the canopy that was running down the back of the tank, and the underlying rubber mat was damp. The stand was dry, thankfully, but still not a situation you want to live with. I think the problem is that the canopy traps all the moist air that emanates from the tank, and because it has nowhere to go (at least easily), condensation forms inside the canopy and then becomes a problem. This obviously doesn't happen with an uncovered tank. So my approach has been to fit new covers to the tank inside the canopy that will limit the amount of evaporation that actually escapes from the tank. So far so good.

Here is the tank after I got it running again this morning; I've decided to go minimalist as regards gravel and rockwork in all my Tropheus tanks.

I'm really thinking that I should retire this tank- it's 35 years old- and am keeping my eyes open for a 60" x 18" 100g. New acrylic ones are crazy expensive. :eek:

View attachment 9052
I think you posted a picture somewhere, but I do remember that you did mention it in a post .