Fish Room History, Tour, and Upgrade 2021.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
There have been suggestions that I post a video tour of my fish room on this forum, as well as a thread describing an upgrade that is just about to get started, so I thought I'd combine the two into a single thread. But let’s start at the beginning.

Chapter 1; the Beginning.

‘Where did it all begin?’ My interest in fishes did not begin with an aquarium; it began by the shores of Barney Pond, in northern Rhode Island. As a boy I would spend most Saturdays at the pond, collecting samples for my microscope, getting wet trying to catch frogs or turtles, generally having a great time. But my favourite time was spring, when I would spend hours watching mated pairs of sunfish build nests, then care for their young in the shallow water. Magical.

Soon thereafter I acquired my first ‘pet’ fish; a free goldfish from the local department store, which of course required a non-free goldfish bowl. That bowl became a 5-gallon tank, then a 10, and soon the goldfish was replaced by platys and tetras, and the tank acquired a pump and heater. And so it began.

My father got interested, and before long we had a number of small tanks in our living room. Was that a fish room? Probably not.

I had a single 20g tank through college containing Apistogramma. These sparkling little jewels built nests and raised fry just like the sunfish in Barney Pond! From that point, I was well and truly hooked.

During my first year in graduate school a mind-boggling array of cichlids from the Great Rift Lakes in East Africa began to arrive in this country. From my apartment in central NJ, within easy driving distance of the major importers in NY, I had ready access to all these new and wonderful fishes.

By graduation a few years later, I had a small collection of tanks with a variety of rock-dwelling fishes from Lake Malawi (Mbuna), and was selling fry to LFS’s on a regular basis. My first fish room? Perhaps. But the first real fish room didn’t happen until I moved to New Haven for my postdoctoral fellowship in the mid-70’s. But that’s Chapter 2.

Here’s a pic of the first Malawian to breed under my care; Labeotropheus fuelleborni. My WC pair, RT male and OB female (not shown), produced abundant fry that were in great demand, and helped pay for all the fish food! :)

IMG_2602@1024.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! Look forward to the updates to this.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Chapter 2; Transitions.

In science, becoming a Postdoctoral Fellow is the next step after graduate school, once the Ph. D. degree is granted. ‘Postdocs’ are still considered to be ‘in training’ in a Mentor’s laboratory, but they generally have significant scientific and financial independence. In my case, a Leukemia Society of America Fellowship provided my salary, which was about four times my stipend in graduate school. This allowed me to rent a lovely old house in the New Haven suburbs, and to set up my first proper fish room.

I first set up all my old tanks, about 8 in all, with two 55’s as the largest, then began to expand. In short order I had two gleaming new 150’s, and a few other new tanks as well. I began to stock them once again with cichlids from Lake Malawi, but then I met a fellow ACA member who was a semi-professional breeder with many connections to the importers, and he was just beginning to specialize in Tanganyikan cichlids. So began my fascination with this diverse group of fishes. I started out with the usual array of small Tanganyikans- Neolamprologus, Julidichromis, Chalinochromis. All the cichlids in the three Great Lakes of East Africa have evolved by what is called ‘explosive speciation,’ and for a biologist their attraction and interest is unrivaled. They are also very pretty.

Neolamprologus pulcher ‘Daffodil,’ one of the earliest Tanganyikan cichlids imported. When I first acquired these fishes they were known (incorrectly) as Neolamprologus savoryi elongatus-

neolamprologus_pulcher_01.jpg
In retrospect, expanding my fish room at that time was probably not the most sensible thing to do, because I only expected to be in New Haven for 3-4 years, and I was already thinking of the West Coast as my next destination. Moving a fish room, even a small one, 120 miles from NJ to CT was bad enough; how to move one to CA? And that was even before I encountered a major curveball.

Just over a year into my postdoc I was offered the opportunity to live rent-free on a secluded 17-acre island two miles off the CT coastline. The island was maintained as an ‘ecological reserve’ by the Biology Department at the University, and to preserve its tax-free status, had be occupied by a ‘Caretaker’ (my best friend, Michael) and a ‘Resident Fellow’ (me). The good news- how many guys in their mid-20s get to live on their own island? The bad news- no electricity; no hot water. And no fish room.

I sold everything to my ACA friend, and dropped out of the hobby. Temporarily.

After completion of my postdoctoral fellowship in 1978, I accepted a faculty position at the Norris Cancer Research Institute at USC, and moved to LA. My first ‘real’ job. My plan had been to get my independent scientific career established, to get a tenured professorship at USC, and to move on to a more suitable long-term position, preferably after 5-6 years, preferably ‘back home’ in the Northeast. So as my SoCal stint was going to be ‘temporary,’ I never bothered to set up a fish room, and in any case, I was too busy with my laboratory to really think about it.

It didn’t go quite according to plan. I spent nearly 10 years at USC, commuting 50 miles every day from my beachfront apartment in Santa Monica to the USC Medical Campus on the east side of town, and after all that time, I was well and truly tired of LA. I began to search for a new position, and was eventually recruited to a senior faculty position at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle. It was time to begin anew, and one of the things near the top of my ‘To Do’ list was a new fish room. That’s Chapter 3.

Last edited:

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I am very much enjoying this topic and your life experiences!

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Chapter 3; Renewal.

Talk about good timing. When I arrived in 1987 Seattle was a quirky little town on the ‘frontier,’ Boeing was the only consequential employer, and you could buy a PNW modern home on Mercer Island overlooking Lake Washington for less than $200K. Which is exactly what I did.

My new home had a lovely ‘family room’ between the main levels, and except for the hardwood floor, it was the perfect place for a fish room. But my first tank was an acrylic 75L that I set up in the living room, shown below in the early 90’s. I still have that tank, and it still occupies pride-of-place in my living room.

Then-

IMG_2091.jpg

Now-

IMG_2682.jpg

I then set up a proper fish room. Here is a view of one wall of tanks, the opposite wall had a second bank of tanks that was virtually identical.

IMG_2111.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

If you look carefully, you will see that I had a variety of cichlids, both African and Neotropical, and at the extreme left, a tank containing wild-caught angelfish from Peru. For the next several years I devoted most of my tanks to an angelfish breeding program in which I was crossing wild caught females from Peru with tank raised black angel males in an attempt to reinvigorate the black angel germline. But that's another story.

In 2000 I acquired my first colony of Tropheus, Tropheus sp. 'black' Bemba Flame, one of the first Tropheus populations to be imported. These are amazing fishes, feisty without being overly aggressive, pretty and prolific. Here is a pic of one of my Bemba colonies in 2002, showing an abundance of fry in the main tank. I still have descendants from that original colony.

P9120141r1.jpg

Soon I was keeping Tropheus exclusively, and selling their progeny to all the local fish stores, especially to Kevin at A Place for Pets in Burien. It was a fun time, but after a few years I was thinking about doing something different. In 2005 I decided to take an early retirement, and reduced my fish room down to about 12 tanks, less than half of the previous number. Planning for retirement took a great deal of time and effort, and I was also thinking about my next move, because although I wanted to stay in the PNW, I wanted to get out of Seattle. Eventually I ended up in Poulsbo; that's Chapter 4.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@sir_keith, nice video! You have a very calm, soothing voice. You need to do audio readings... would put me right to sleep, lol

cjag

Chapter 3; Renewal.

Talk about good timing. When I arrived in 1987 Seattle was a quirky little town on the ‘frontier,’ Boeing was the only consequential employer, and you could buy a PNW modern home on Mercer Island overlooking Lake Washington for less than $200K. Which is exactly what I did.

My new home had a lovely ‘family room’ between the main levels, and except for the hardwood floor, it was the perfect place for a fish room. But my first tank was an acrylic 75L that I set up in the living room, shown below in the early 90’s. I still have that tank, and it still occupies pride-of-place in my living room.

Then-

View attachment 8705

Now-

View attachment 8708

I then set up a proper fish room. Here is a view of one wall of tanks, the opposite wall had a second bank of tanks that was virtually identical.

View attachment 8706

View attachment 8707

If you look carefully, you will see that I had a variety of cichlids, both African and Neotropical, and at the extreme left, a tank containing wild-caught angelfish from Peru. For the next several years I devoted most of my tanks to an angelfish breeding program in which I was crossing wild caught females from Peru with tank raised black angel males in an attempt to reinvigorate the black angel germline. But that's another story.

In 2000 I acquired my first colony of Tropheus, Tropheus sp. 'black' Bemba Flame, one of the first Tropheus populations to be imported. These are amazing fishes, feisty without being overly aggressive, pretty and prolific. Here is a pic of one of my Bemba colonies in 2002, showing an abundance of fry in the main tank. I still have descendants from that original colony.

View attachment 8710

Soon I was keeping Tropheus exclusively, and selling their progeny to all the local fish stores, especially to Kevin at A Place for Pets in Burien. It was a fun time, but after a few years I was thinking about doing something different. In 2005 I decided to take an early retirement, and reduced my fish room down to about 12 tanks, less than half of the previous number. Planning for retirement took a great deal of time and effort, and I was also thinking about my next move, because although I wanted to stay in the PNW, I wanted to get out of Seattle. Eventually I ended up in Poulsbo; that's Chapter 4.
This has been awesome reading about the journey of a lifelong hobbyist!

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I forgot to mention one of my newest Xenotilapia colonies in my Fish Room Tour video- X. flavipinnis 'Red Royal.' This is another biparental mouthbrooder. I have eight of these at present; here is one of them, already pretty at ~2" TL. I'm really looking forward to seeing these fishes as adults. :)

IMGP7371.jpg

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So I am a music buff and immediately noticed all the tower speakers throughout the house. I would love to add that aspect to my garage fishroom but am limited... maybe a wall mounted or in ceiling option for me. Are you a music snob too? lol, I kind am, that's why I ask. What brands of equipment do you like?

Last edited:

sir_keith

Legendary Member
... Are you a music snob too? What brands of equipment do you like?...
What do you mean 'too'? LOL! :lol

So, yes and yes. I have an A/V system in the TV room/fish room area with Pioneer Elite components running 6 Polk towers, but the serious listening happens in the living room- Yamaha Integrated Amp, Marantz single-disc CD player, B & O turntable, a pair of Polk LSiM707 towers. If you've never heard the 707's, I'll have to play them for you sometime; they weigh over 100 pounds each... :wink

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have heard those Polks and they are amazing sounding speakers. I am a fan of Marantz too. I use a Marantz receiver paired with a Lexicon RT-20 for CDs and Revel loudspeakers. Would love to own a turntable but no room, lol. I also have a laptop I use with JBL studio speakers and Sony studio headphones.

Love your audio set up! And the fish are cool too, lol

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I have heard those Polks and they are amazing sounding speakers. I am a fan of Marantz too. I use a Marantz receiver paired with a Lexicon RT-20 for CDs and Revel loudspeakers. Would love to own a turntable but no room, lol. I also have a laptop I use with JBL studio speakers and Sony studio headphones.

Nice! Would love to have an RT-20; it's a classic! :thumbsup

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Back to the fish room... Got the 55g 'Temporary Quarters' tank set up on the floor today. I should have the other tanks moved off the stands in the next few days; the three tanks on the bottom level are already empty. I also have a line on a 45L to replace the two 20's, which I've been wanting to do for a while. Once the tanks are moved, I can begin modifying the stands to accept the 75's, then put everything back together. And start on the other bank of 55's and 45's. o_O

IMG_2715.jpg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Unless you're a compulsive cleaner ( :whistle ), you tend not to notice how crusty your tanks get over time just in routine use. This 45L has only been set up for about 5 years, but I couldn't believe how much salt creep had accumulated around the edges. Granted, reaching to the back of one of these lower-level tanks is not easy, and my water is full of minerals and buffers, but even so. This is one reason that I'm not going to wider tanks on the bottom levels, sticking with the 45L's (12" wide) over 40B's (18" wide). The tank cleaned up OK for now; the next step will be to repaint the back in black. I've been using Krylon Fusion Gloss Black spray paint for this, and it works great. The retro crystal paint backgrounds were fun, but it's time for a change, and some of my fishes will show much better against the black. :thumbsup

IMG_2726.jpg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Picked up a like-new 45L from a GSAS member in Mill Creek. Here are four 75s and two 45L's almost ready to go-

IMG_2771.jpg

The new 45L will replace the two 20's shown here, so each of the upgraded racks will have a 75 on top and a 45L down below. Just about time to start the stand modifications. :)

IMG_2782.jpg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
When your tanks are stacked up against the wall, as shown in the pic in the previous post, and you drop something behind the racks, well, it's gone forever. Or at least until you move the racks, and then you may find something like this-

IMG_2790.jpg

Any idea what it is? Fish-related, for sure, and I was glad to find it... :cool:

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
When your tanks are stacked up against the wall, as shown in the pic in the previous post, and you drop something behind the racks, well, it's gone forever. Or at least until you move the racks, and then you may find something like this-

View attachment 8822

Any idea what it is? Fish-related, for sure, and I was glad to find it... :cool:
Adjustment tab off the base of one of your AC filters.16200847922276305757935789195513.jpg