FINNEX FUGERAY PLANTED +

Peylix

Re: FINNEX FUGERAY PLANTED +

Just picked up a 48" fixture for my 55g today. Thanks to Cory at Aquarium Co op. I've had my eye on these since they announced them back in March last year. Followed several threads where Fin reps were talking about the development.

Then just so happens I saw Poke's review on youtube and fell in love.

Don't have many plants right now. Just a few Val's and a Sword at the moment. Was waiting to get this fixture before going nuts on plants.

Right out of the box I noticed the quality. The size.. (oh the size) so sleek and narrow. The light output itself is loads better than a standard t8. The coverage is also much better. Every square inch gets light in my tank now.

The color temp is perfect imo. Little on the warmer side but that can be fixed with DIY Blue LED strips or a Monster Ray (Aiming to get one in the future) I can't wait to get going on plants and finally finishing my 55g.

I'll post a video and some pictures later in the week once I get time. But first impressions as of right now are *jaw hitting floor*

zach_discus

I picked up a 36" Planted plus and a 36" Ray2 7k at the Liem's benifit day at Aquarium Co-Op. They are on a 90g Flat back Hex. The combo of the two is about perfect for a natural sunlight. The tank was just planted a few days befor the lights went on but the Rotila has grown over 8" in just over a week. My Red Lotus has also sent up to long runners. I am getting a little alge on the glass but not dosing right now and no plecos yet and I have been feeding very heavy due to the juvies in the tank.. Tanks has 5 juvi Discus, 4 Guianacaras, 9 HY511 Tetras, and a pr of Apisto Borelli. Plants are 6 kinds of crypts, 2 kinds of anubias, Red Rotilia, the red Tiger Lotus, and two unknowns. I have been very impressed with the Finnex LEDs. Heat is way down from the T5s I had on the tank.

The Planted + is not as bright as the Ray2, but the Red LEDs add to depth of color in the tank. I also leave the Blues of the Planted+ on, they make the blue high lights in the Discus and the Apistos sparkle. I don't get as much "shimmer" as I expected from the LEDs compared to the units I had over my Reef but still a very pleasing effect.

For me I would highly recomend the Planted + for a planted tank. Adding a Ray 2 does add alot of light but by its self, it tend to wash out the tnk a little two much. Running them together gives a great balance.

sea1

How much play is there in the legs/supports of the FugeRay Planted+? Will a 16" FugeRay Planted+ stretch far enough to mount on an 18" rimless tank?

pbmax

Is it really 18" across from outside glass to outside glass? If so, then yes, it will likely fit, but you may have the mounts extended so far they're not tight anymore.

I just measured one of my 20" fixtures and with the mounts fully extended it'll fit 22" outside-to-outside, but the screws will have be all the way out. It'll be flopsy, but it won't fall into the tank unless you bump it.

You could just let it set with mount screws on the rim - that would easily fit an inch extra on each side.

sea1

Thanks the reply. I just measured and it's actually 18 1/8" at the outside glass measurement. I guess I need to go take a look at a fixture in person to see what the mounts look like i.e. will the legs completely slip off the fixture if extended too far? I don't mind a floppy fit because the fixture won't be touched often ... I just don't want it to be unsafe.

pbmax

Here's a photo of the end of one of my 20" fixtures. You can rest it on screws if need be - that one will sit across 22" with both ends configured like that and resting on the screws. The screws are pretty tight and sturdy extended like they are in the photo. You could also reinforce the ends with some decent tape if you like to keep it from wobbling around. I wouldn't mind using it like that, personally.

sea1

Thanks for the picture. I think I'll bite the bullet and just go for it. If I need to, hopefully I can bend some metal rods to make extended supports (like the Marinland LEDS) in place of this plastic foot thing.

A

Anonymous

+ 1 pbmax, that's a cool idea. Seeing this post earlier I too extended the legs out of my Finnex. Seems I can get about 3/4" out before it gets weird, but like pbmax has indicated these screws are really stout. Sometimes I have issues just screwing them in or out. I would totally be comfortable resting these screws on a glass rim.

pbmax

I may do the same thing with a 10" fixture on a 12" tank just so I don't have so much light. :)

Peylix

img_2013.jpg

Here is my 55g now with the planted+.
VERY happy with it. So much so that I picked up a fixture for my 30g yesterday. =D

A

Anonymous

Peylix said:
img_2013.jpg

Here is my 55g now with the planted+.
VERY happy with it. So much so that I picked up a fixture for my 30g yesterday. =D
 :spoton: NICE!!

Livebearer

I know that this is about your light BUT If you don't mind me adding to your Algee frustration.
I have a Finnex ray that is a combo of cool white/420 atinic blue which I'm seeing is best suited for a Marine/coral tank enviroment.
I have tried it on 2 24" tanks (30Xhigh and a 15Long) for a total of 20 hours each with the result of a massive bloom of red fuzzy algee on the glass the sponge filter and anything else that is stationary. I would like to know what spectrums/combo's these light come in???

MRTom

LB, you can get the light options by going to the finnex site and clicking on lighting. They don't offer spectrum charts... but it should at least say what they make. On a 30gal/15gal, you are pretty much guaranteed algae with these things (and any other good light) if you leave them on 20 hours straight. :) Is that what meant by 20 hours each?

Pb, if you haven't bought the lights yet, I might second the use of a 16" on the 18" rimless as I did that for a while... but after a while I got tired of the light not being supported enough, so I went ahead and bought a 20" instead (planted+ doesn't come in 18").