FINNEX FUGERAY PLANTED +

A

Anonymous

FINNEX FUGERAY PLANTED +

Well, not quite sure if this steps on Poke's review  if so I dont mean to step on toes. This thread is about Finnex FugeRay Planted Plus only.
Mods; if you think this thread resembles Poke's thread about mixing fixtures please delete I do not mind continuing on with his thread about mixing. With that said;

FINNEX FUGERAY PLANTED +

So far so good. Installed about a week ago on a tank that was plagued with out of control algaes & bacteria's. The light I removed was the Finnex Ray2, before that was a duel T5HO. This tank has been a thorn in my side for months. I installed the Finnex FRP+,  cleaned the crap out of this tank (again) ,moved the plants around & put in some rocks. I know it's been a week, but if you know this tank it would have already been a disaster when I was using the other 2 lighting fixtures.

I am not saying this fixture "saved" my tank, I am saying there is something different. The light a bit more warm, my plants look vibrant and healthy, & new growth showing, fish colors pop a little bit, and yet, after a week of 13 hr per day- no algae present!

12/5/13

I will update on growth as time passes. If anyone else has experience, or pictures to share using this light please share.

A

Anonymous

Re: FINNEX FUGERAY PLANTED +

Note: the comment about having a RAY2 on the tank is in no way a negative review on the RAY2. I had a 3' fixture on this 30 gallon tank. I think that fixture was way too bright contributing to my algae issues. That fixture is now making plants pearl in a much larger tank.

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi fishNAbowl,

The Finnex Ray2 has more output than the Finnex Planted+. Comparing the two 24" fixtures the Ray2 has PAR=74 @12" and the Planted+ has PAR=61 @12" (about 20% less). The reduction in light intensity by 20% probably contributed to helping resolve the algae issue.

A

Anonymous

Seattle_Aquarist said:
The Finnex Ray2 has more output than the Finnex Planted+.  Comparing the two 24" fixtures the Ray2 has PAR=74 @12" and the Planted+ has PAR=61 @12" (about 20% less). The reduction in light intensity by 20% probably contributed to helping resolve the algae issue.
Makes since Roy, thanks for jumping in. I also have a 9.5 gallon long with the same algae issue using a 2' Finnex Ray2. Thinking about picking up another FRP+. The Ray2 works awesome but makes for twice the maintenance (algae) in that small tank.

WhosUrDadi

if the ray2 is creating a lot of algae, according in my research (planning already for a planted tank), that means you need to add more plants so the plants will out compete the algae. =)

A

Anonymous

WhosUrDadi said:
if the ray2 is creating a lot of algae, according in my research (planning already for a planted tank), that means you need to add more plants so the plants will out compete the algae. =)
I agree in most circumstances. However in this 9.5 gallon I have it is a LONG tank -2 feet long, 6 inches from front to back. This fixture was probably built for a 20 gallon tank.  I had this tank stuffed with plants, with floaters, small lilly type plants to nearly block all the light from entering water. Then and only then did I not have an algae issue. But this isn't how I want this tank. So, a light with less output is what I am needing to reach the goal intended.

Here is a picture .

Notice, complete surface coverage. Completely full of plants. I had to remove many due to excessive growth and over crowding. This is okay, it looks neat but I wish to open the surface water up so everything isn't shaded & use different plants.

In my 29 gallon the Ray2 was a 3 foot fixture. I placed in there temporally until I could pick up a four foot fixture and use both on my 7' tank. For one, a 3 foot fixture was too big. 29 gallon tanks fit 30" fixtures. I think in the 29 gallon there was other stuff gong on as well. So far my clean out has worked keeping Cyanobacteria at bay too which was another issue I was contending with in the 29 gallon.

pbmax

Finnex doesn't seem to be terribly consistent with their light sizing between product lines.  The planted+ 30" fixture has slightly more power output than the ray2 30" fixture (20.8w vs 20w), but the 24" planted+ has less power output than the 24" ray2 (17.8w vs 20w).  Given Roy's info on PAR between the two 24" fixtures (ray2 24" having about 20% more PAR but only 11% more power output) it seems that the planted plus actually produces less PAR per watt than the ray2 does.  This would cause one to wonder what the whole point of the "planted+" product line is. :shock: 

I have a 30" (same as 24") finnex ray2 over a 20L.  It replaced a dual 30" 6700K T5HO (62W) fixture.  I put the ray2 over a 29g and found it didn't put out as much light (to my eyes) as the 62W T5HO did, so swapped the fixtures and that seems to be a better fit.  The LED light seemed initially brighter, but didn't penetrate as far into the water, at least to my eyes.

So far the 20L is doing okay - no new algae.  I'm in the midst of a second round of mass die-out of my hellanthium tenellum in that tank for whatever reason, but it's one of my least problematic tanks algae-wise and that hasn't changed since I put the LED fixture on it.

Thanks to Roy's PAR info, I may have to adjust my Amazon wishlist as far as the planted+ goes.  Further number crunching is warranted! 8)

WhosUrDadi

fishNAbowl said:
WhosUrDadi said:
I agree in most circumstances. However in this 9.5 gallon I have it is a LONG tank -2 feet long, 6 inches from front to back. This fixture was probably built for a 20 gallon tank.  I had this tank stuffed with plants, with floaters, small lilly type plants to nearly block all the light from entering water. Then and only then did I not have an algae issue. But this isn't how I want this tank. So, a light with less output is what I am needing to reach the goal intended.

Here is a picture .

Notice, complete surface coverage. Completely full of plants. I had to remove many due to excessive growth and over crowding. This is okay, it looks neat but I wish to open the surface water up so everything isn't shaded & use different plants.

In my 29 gallon the Ray2 was a 3 foot fixture. I placed in there temporally until I could pick up a four foot fixture and use both on my 7' tank. For one, a 3 foot fixture was too big. 29 gallon tanks fit 30" fixtures. I think in the 29 gallon there was other stuff gong on as well. So far my clean out has worked keeping Cyanobacteria at bay too which was another issue I was contending with in the 29 gallon.

According from Corey, you shouldn't use the ray 2 for shallow tanks, which maybe I think for do not use it with lower than 18" in height..

A

Anonymous

WhosUrDadi said:
According from Corey, you shouldn't use the ray 2 for shallow tanks, which maybe I think for do not use it with lower than 18" in height..
I totally get that now. All my RAY2 fixtures are now on my big tank. It is 2 feet deep. I just installed the FRP+ on the tank above tonight.

Anthony J.

So, since my only experience is a week and a half now with a 12" fugeray over my 7 gallon aquatop, I feel like a regular fugeray will not be quite enough for my 40B, but that both the planted + and ray2 would be over kill. In your opinions, 2 fugerays? For best coverage and ability to grow just about anything I want? I was going to start with a single fugeray, until I get a Co2 system, and then add a second. Opions? Sorry, not trying to thread jack, but this review seems to be right on par with what I was wondering. .. no pun intended :)

A

Anonymous

Anthony J. said:
So, since my only experience is a week and a half now with a 12" fugeray over my 7 gallon aquatop, I feel like a regular fugeray will not be quite enough for my 40B, but that both the planted + and ray2 would be over kill. In your opinions, 2 fugerays? For best coverage and ability to grow just about anything I want? I was going to start with a single fugeray, until I get a Co2 system, and then add a second. Opions? Sorry, not trying to thread jack, but this review seems to be right on par with what I was wondering. .. no pun intended :)

I definitely would use 2 LED strips for coverage. At Aquarium CoOp there is a couple 40 gallons with plants in them. They use 2 Finnex LED fixtures on them. I am not 100% sure exactly if they are the FugeRay or Ray2. I believe they are FugeRay. All I can say is that I seen 1st hand tonight the plants pearling in each of those tanks- CO2 injected & non-CO2 injected. Perhaps Cory will chime in. If not I would totally give him a call and ask!

Cory

Administrator
Staff member

I use two Finnex Ray 2s on the 40g breeders. I'll grab some pics tomorrow. But I can keep Red plants red, dwarf baby tears growing. Plants pearling... even without co2 in some of the tanks.

A

Anonymous

pbmax said:
Finnex doesn't seem to be terribly consistent with their light sizing between product lines.  The planted+ 30" fixture has slightly more power output than the ray2 30" fixture (20.8w vs 20w), but the 24" planted+ has less power output than the 24" ray2 (17.8w vs 20w).  Given Roy's info on PAR between the two 24" fixtures (ray2 24" having about 20% more PAR but only 11% more power output) it seems that the planted plus actually produces less PAR per watt than the ray2 does.  This would cause one to wonder what the whole point of the "planted+" product line is.
What is PAR really? The measurement of how much white light energy hits the bottom of the tank (or wherever the meter is located)? I barely understand the scientific measurements so please excuse me if I am totally off.  So, the Ray2 has a few more 7,000K LED's than the FRP+. Finnex swapped out a few 7,000K LED'S & replaced them with REDS & BLUES. This in itself would lower PAR readings if the PAR meter is measurement of light because the reds and blues are not as "bright". However, this swap out enhances the RED spectrum. Which is said to enhance plant growth. Now, seeing that both LED fixtures are physically the same size finnex couldn't stuff enough LED's into the unit to maintain the same PAR readings as the Ray2 nor were they probably even trying.
I have not used the FRP+ long enough to review plant growth in either my 29 g or 9.5g.

On the flip side, I am using the Ray2 on a tank that's 2 feet deep. The plants on the substrate are growing.... Slower, but fine.... Plants middle are rocking! Plants near in the 1st 1/4 of the tanks surface are pearling.

It was a pleasure seeing you at the store today! :) I'm glad you got a chance to try out the Fuge Ray Planted + !

pbmax

fishNAbowl said:
What is PAR really? The measurement of how much white light energy hits the bottom of the tank (or wherever the meter is located)? I barely understand the scientific measurements so please excuse me if I am totally off.  So, the Ray2 has a few more 7,000K LED's than the FRP+. Finnex swapped out a few 7,000K LED'S & replaced them with REDS & BLUES. This in itself would lower PAR readings if the PAR meter is measurement of light because the reds and blues are not as "bright". However, this swap out enhances the RED spectrum. Which is said to enhance plant growth. Now, seeing that both LED fixtures are physically the same size finnex couldn't stuff enough LED's into the unit to maintain the same PAR readings as the Ray2 nor were they probably even trying.
PAR is Photosynthetically Active Radiation - technically how much of the light is useable for photosynthesis (400nm - 700nm wavelength).  A higher PAR rating means more light energy is available for the plants to consume via photosynthesis.

A

Anonymous

pbmax said:
PAR is Photosynthetically Active Radiation - technically how much of the light is useable for photosynthesis (400nm - 700nm wavelength).  A higher PAR rating means more light energy is available for the plants to consume via photosynthesis.
Great pbmax, now if there was only a aquatic plant field guide that matches plant species with the proper PAR needed for optimal growth!

JimA

I asked the question in that other thread but it never got answered, suppose I could look it up but since you are here... What is the lumen output of each of these lights?

A

Anonymous

JimA said:
 I asked the question in that other thread but it never got answered,   suppose I could look it up but since you are here...    What is the lumen output of each of these lights?  
JimA,
Each fixture is going to have different lumens. I looked on the boxes of my LED fixtures & it doesn't say.

http://www.finnex.net/index.php/fugeray_series/?___store=default

Not finding it on the website either, perhaps you can find it?

pbmax

fishNAbowl said:
pbmax said:
Great pbmax, now if there was only a aquatic plant field guide that matches plant species with the proper PAR needed for optimal growth!
Oh come on, "low", "medium", and "high" aren't accurate enough for you?? ;)

A

Anonymous

pbmax said:
fishNAbowl said:
pbmax said:
Oh come on, "low", "medium", and "high" aren't accurate enough for you?? ;)
Yeah, that would even be okay! But for you technical scientific fellas I figured you would be working on something more accurate. What exactly would be considered LOW , MEDIUM, & HIGH when it comes to PAR readings?