Finnex Fuge Ray Planted Plus - Ray 2 - Monster Ray - Light Combinations

IIn this video, I review Finnex LED Light Fixtures, ranging from the Monster Ray, Fuge Ray Planted Plus, and Ray 2. Finnex's line of LED lights are really great, and I'm happy with their products. They're small and slim, which means you can add more than one LED light fixture on your tank, as you see fit. I cover the various combinations you can do with these lights, and how they look, comparatively with one another. I hope this video is informative for you all! Come by Aquarium Co-Op in Edmonds and see the lights in action!
[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/ecjBm2HW0Z8" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

A

Anonymous

Awesome vid Poke! I am contemplating mixing different fixtures in my 2 foot tank. Since changing to the RAY2 there is room for TWICE the lighting on my tank. But, since the RAY2 is a bit brighter than the duel T5HO that was on the tank i will not be doubling up! The info displayed in this video is outstanding. I will be adding another 4' strip just not sure if i will be adding the PLANTED+ or a 3rd RAY2. As of now the star grass you gave me is growing really good 2' down under 1 strip using RAY2. Ive tried growing high light foreground plants without success in this tank with T5HO (like dwarf chain swords. Im contemplating trying again now under these RAY2's.

Again, this is 2 feet under water under 1 4 foot RAY2. In this tank there is a 1 last duel T5HO hovering above the background plants. This will be replaced soon with another 4' FENNEX LED fixture.

Here's the other side of the same 2 foot deep tank. The tank is 7' long. The light above is a 3' FENNEX RAY2.

A

Anonymous

WhosUrDadi said:
what are the prices for 24" monster ray, 24" Fuge ray, and 24" ray 2 form aquarium co-op?
I would just call for prices.

JimA said:
I didn't want to start a new thread but I had an email from Aquatop that they have come out with their own LED light 3 different versions.  Looks interesting..
I maybe wrong but isn't FINNEX & AQUATOP affiliated somehow?

pbmax

fishNAbowl said:
JimA said:
I didn't want to start a new thread but I had an email from Aquatop that they have come out with their own LED light 3 different versions.  Looks interesting..
From what I remember, Aquatop has the exact same models that Finnex has, and they just slap on their brand on it, and mark up the price. We do have Aquatop LED lights on some of the tanks, and they look pretty much identical to one another.

One thing that Finnex has over Aquatop, is their different sizes that they offer. Aquatop is only limited to, I think...3 different sizes (24", 36", and 48"), while Finnex utilizes I believe 9 different sizes (for the most part, 10", 12", 16", 18", 20", 24", 30", 36", and 48")

I kinda like to think of it this way, HD tvs are all made in warehouses/factories, and then they're shipped out to companies that slap their brand name on it, and sell for whatever prices they have to consumers. So, essentially, a tv by Sony, and a tv by Panasonic, may have come from the same manufacturer, and even have the same specs, so to speak. Etc.

pbmax

Aquatop's LED placement patterns are very different, so they're not just re-branded.

pbmax said:
Aquatop's LED placement patterns are very different, so they're not just re-branded.
frabz-Butbut-but-but-skylar-need-good-role-model-b14770.jpg

A

Anonymous

PokeSephiroth said:
fishNAbowl said:
JimA said:
From what I remember, Aquatop has the exact same models that Finnex has, and they just slap on their brand on it, and mark up the price. We do have Aquatop LED lights on some of the tanks, and they look pretty much identical to one another.

One thing that Finnex has over Aquatop, is their different sizes that they offer. Aquatop is only limited to, I think...3 different sizes (24", 36", and 48"), while Finnex utilizes I believe 9 different sizes (for the most part, 10", 12", 16", 18", 20", 24", 30", 36", and 48")

I kinda like to think of it this way, HD tvs are all made in warehouses/factories, and then they're shipped out to companies that slap their brand name on it, and sell for whatever prices they have to consumers. So, essentially, a tv by Sony, and a tv by Panasonic, may have come from the same manufacturer, and even have the same specs, so to speak. Etc.
There IS truth to this. When manufacturing electronic components each component is tested & graded. Components that test higher are used in higher grade electronics. The others are often sent to electronic manufactures that sell discounted. A LOT of these are sent to China. That's another reason you can buy  electronics from this region so cheep. But your getting what your paying for.

So, Aqua Top very well could be using many of the same components as Fennex. I know they use the same external hardware. I have both AquaTop & Fennex LED  fixtures. They "look" EXACTLY the same! But the internals could be different. I know the spectrum is.

This is why I asked the question. I thought I heard somewhere they where affiliated some how. Like one owning the other, or brother companies, different departments, something...

If I'm not mistaken, Aquatop is also a company that likes to change their company name after a couple years or so. They were also formerly known as Sunsun (*ahem* sunsun canister filters...*ahem*)... and what you say is right, I remember reading a topic about the Sunsun canister filters being of slightly lower quality, than the other pseudo brand name that same company goes through...or something like that.

(Reference: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=149353 )

JimA

Hard to say, I remember a few years ago when flat screens were hitting the market, something like 80% plus of the actual screens came from Samsung they may still be? Were talking Sharp, Sanyo and Toshiba plus many others. Either way it's like the beamworks leds, many will argue they are cheap/inexpensive but I have had mine for close to 2 years now with only one problem. Same with the aquatop canister filters I have, they are really a good bang for the buck. That being said I also have a FX5 but would not hesitate in the least in buying another aquatop canister.

FWIW you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a Marineland led light and a Beamworks led except the price.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
pbmax said:
Actually they are made at the same factory. The problem is you guys are comparing apples to oranges.

The Sky LED that was mentioned earlier is terrible and was discontinued by aquatop. They sit at the wholesalers collecting dust. Here is an amazon to it. http://www.amazon.com/AquaTop-SkyLED-Aquarium-LED-Light/dp/B005JEP1LU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1386314884&sr=1-1&keywords=sky+led+aquatop

The Aquatop comparable light to a finnex is also the SkyLED. The link can be found here.http://www.amazon.com/Aquatop-SkyLED-Aquarium-Light-Planted/dp/B0097E1XGU/ref=sr_1_29?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1386315127&sr=1-29&keywords=aquatop+led

As you look at the pictures you'll see the fixtures are identical. The Aquatops only come in 2 ft, 3 ft, and 4 ft models. And only come in 1 row of 6700k leds and 1 row of 10k leds. Where as the Finnex uses double 7k rows of leds. So slight color temperature differences in the lights but made at the same factory, and look identical except for the badge on it. The other big difference is the Aquatop light is more expensive than Finnex.

Also they decided to make two different lights with the same name SKY LED. Which lead to consumer confusion and their down fall into entering the lighting market.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't tried that light yet. But the previous Mr. Aqua LED sits at the wholesaler in a dark corner due to price/ not putting out much light :( It look nice... but don't put out much light.

WhosUrDadi

Aquarium Co-Op said:
I haven't tried that light yet. But the previous Mr. Aqua LED sits at the wholesaler in a dark corner due to price/ not putting out much light :( It look nice... but don't put out much light.
I see.. Cory what do you suggest to use, if I have a 24x12x12 tank, ray2 + monster ray or fugeray planted plus + monster ray?

WhosUrDadi

I wish finnex can do this to their light..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kmhv8mtcz98" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
WhosUrDadi said:
I wish finnex can do this to their light..
They can! The timer can be used with other brands. It goes inline on the power cord. I just got one and use it with Aqueon LED's.