Finally some pics.... bichirs at home

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Good price! I had seen a lot of other sites at up to $149 for similar sized and they were out of stock, and that did not include shipping cost. I should have mine in on Thursday, will post some pics.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
madness said:
No,  no Oscars. You and your boyfriend need to tour my fish room,  it will change your mind on Oscars and boring fish.  :)  and you can see all 12 of my polys. (Bichers)  
Kara, Oscars aren't boring.... They are just really messy. Haha.  You can have mine (Reggie) if you want. He's right at 13 inches now and interfering a lot with my umbee pair up project

Dmd, they look great. But still not convinced that I will ever have one

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
lloyd378 said:
Dmd, they look great.  But still not convinced that I will ever have one
It took me a while to warm up to them. They are different compared to owning cichlids but interesting. I think a Sen or Del would be great in a classroom.... (hint, hint)

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Haha, nice try. i would have to field the question, " is it dead/ why does it never move" about a hundred times a day. I find that glass bangers are the best for classrooms as they don't hide when kids come in and move around...... But I will continue to enjoy your pics when posted

KaraWolf

lloyd378 said:
Kara, Oscars aren't boring.... They are just really messy. Haha.  You can have mine (Reggie) if you want. He's right at 13 inches now and interfering a lot with my umbee pair up project

Dmd, they look great.  But still not convinced that I will ever have one
lol I can deal with messy XP and if I had space I'd take him for you XD but I don't...plan is to pick up a 75-90 gallon and pick up the smallest ones I can find so they look absolutely ridiculous for nearly a year XD and can all grow up together. Makes me giggle to think (if I manage to have more then 1 or 2 guests) how many people will ask "where's the fish?" or "how come this tank only has 3 tiny fish?"

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Kara, you should also do dark substrate and background with tiger oscars or white substrate with a whit back ground for albino..... That would make them extra hard to see and also extra funny for your guests

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
lloyd378 said:
Haha, nice try. i would have to field the question, " is it dead/ why does it never move" about a hundred times a day.
You are too kind, at least you didnt compare them to turds like Mr. Hankey. :joker: 

Madness

Staff member
Here is one of my new additions. Come on Lloyd climb aboard.

image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
The prices on them are crazy, right? I might try a dabble in them if I could find a cheap one that would also allow me into the cool bichir kid circle

Madness

Staff member
You should have grabbed one at the sale this past weekend for $30, if you found out you didnt like it, you could have sold it. But now its to late. :)

AP has a small 3" one (looks like a worm its so small) for $40. :D

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Nice new dels madness!

Im happy with what I ordered, should be the right size to get along with the others. I measured my del today and its 5". Even though he has a lot of body mass, he still backs down from the gold dust. So if my weeksii turns out to be 5"-6" he will be just right. If not he will get a bad review.

Madness

Staff member
DMD123 said:
Nice new dels madness!

Im happy with what I ordered, should be the right size to get along with the others. I measured my del today and its 5". Even though he has a lot of body mass, he still backs down from the gold dust. So if my weeksii turns out to be 5"-6" he will be just right. If not he will get a bad review.
Thank you sir. :D

I couldnt have done it without the help of KaraWolf.

anthony

Nice bichir. I love dels! As close as you can get to a dinosaur at 1 foot. There was a guy on craigslist about a year ago that was selling a really big tank and he said he had a delhezi that was 20 inches long and 12 years old. I saw in the pic it was a del. I could not tell if it was really 20 inches or not but I'm gonna say i bet it could happen. I mean who has had their bichir for 12 years? Just keep powerfeeding It for 12 years and break a record! After dmd posted the bichir pic with it in the blue tub I started lookin up bichir pics and i found a couple of pics of bichirs with pretty big looking teeth now I can't find them again. Bichirs were around 300-400 million years before the dinosaurs walked the earth/one of the planets oldest fishes... youtube: the life of polypterus bbc. Everyone needs one.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Hard to imagine a del that big! :affraid:  I have to say of my bichirs the del is my favorite. So active and outgoing and just gets along with the others. The albino sen is my next favorite in regards personality. It took me a while to warm up to these guys. I had thought of one for like 2 years and as soon as I got the del I was hooked. Thursday when the new guy comes in, I will have 5, yikes! Im done really, I can stop at any time.... :joker: 

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
:cheers:  Fish came in early! :cheers: 

Well here is the new Weeksii:

I know, an acclimation shot is pretty lame. :roll

He is bigger than expected. The ad said 5"-6" and he is 6"+ and thick. I worry for the little sen, he might end up as dinner... Pretty happy with the seller too. He contacts you after your order and asks if there is anything else you would like to 'add' to the order (since it will be the same shipping cost) and he responded to my request to try and find one with more distinct pattern or stripes. Very nice guy, who will get an excellent ebay review!

Betty

Staff member
Those are really cool looking critters.  I didn't know much about them and looked them up.  They come from Africa? :D 

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, I finally started an "African" tank after all these years. :lmfao: 

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ok he is in the tank now.

This guy may attain a length of up to 22" so his future home is in the 210g. The Weeksii are a lot more easy going and peaceful compared to the Ornate and you dont see them as much so this was a big factor in my decision.