Finally some pics.... bichirs at home

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Ive had these guys for a little bit and thought it was time to share. Here are the new bichirs at home in the 72g bowfront.

Here is the common Senegal, he is the smallest and still a bit jumpy at times:

Here is the Albino Senegal named Snowflake, who is very outgoing and active:

Here is my favorite, the Delhezi, most active of them all and very hungry all the time :pig:  :
This first shot not so good but wanted to show it still had external gills.  

This guy is a total jerk, very territorial and everyone gets out of his way even though some are bigger than him, here is the Gold Dust Polypterus buettikoferi:

Here is the beginning of what sometimes is called a "log pile". These three get along great, notice who is missing? The ever anti-social gold dust!:

Thanks for looking.

And if you have not got a bichir yet.... :suspect:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you enjoyed the pics. You got bichir fever after getting those del for madness? :joker: 

These types that I have should hit around 12"-14" max. There are some out there that say these can get to 16"+ but really that is only the case with wild caught. As far as I know I have all tank raised fish. I plan on keeping them in the 72g bow which is 4ft long and 16" at the wide point. If they get too big they can go into my 210.

I would say the tank raised sen or albino sen could go into a standard 55 but a 75 would be more comfortable. If you ever look at this site, it gives you ideas of what fits in a tank: http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?AquTankName=Office+Tank&AquListBoxTank=Choose&AquTankLength=48&AquTankDepth=16&AquTankHeight=22&AquListBoxFilter=Aquaclear+500&AquTextFilterRate=110+&AquListBoxFilter2=Eheim+2217&AquTextFilterRate2=160+&AquFilterString=&AquListBoxChooser=Melanotaenia+fluviatilis+%28Murray+River+Rainbowfish%29.&AquTextBoxQuantity=7&FormSubmit=Add+%3E&AquTextBoxRemoveQuantity=&AlreadySelected=200911090011%3A1%3A%3A%2C200910160234%3A2%3A%3A%2C200911101316%3A1%3A%3A&FilterMode=Display+all+species&AqTempUnit=C&AqVolUnit=gUS&AqLengthUnit=inch&AqSortType=sname&FilterQuantity=2&AqJuvMode=&AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple

That is my tank with the fish and filters I have going. Check it out.

Madness

Staff member
Buttikoferi (gold dust) is one of my favs also. My Palmas looks similar to the Gold Dust but the dust is green not gold. I think you need another one D.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
That gold dust is a total tool! All the others give him a wide berth. I want another bichir but not sure what....

KaraWolf

I have a lot of different fish fevers...oscar, blue ram, maybe a tiny bichir one, RTS forever but my husband caught the bichir one! lol he calls all my fish "Wimpy" except maybe my RTS. I do have to admit they are pretty darn cool looking. Maybe in a bigger house I can teach him the way of the fish with a 55 or 75 bichir tank >> right next to my epic 90 gallon oscar tank. XD pair up normal oscars with albinos <3

Do love that site aqadvisor.com though it says 55 is too small for a delhezi even.

Madness

Staff member
No, no Oscars. You and your boyfriend need to tour my fish room, it will change your mind on Oscars and boring fish. :) and you can see all 12 of my polys. (Bichers)

anthony

get the mokelebembe. That gold dust is nice lots of dust on him! Is he from the wild?? Wild bichirs
Know how to act right!! Ha Ha what do they remind you of again? Cause you sure like buying them. Just messing with you! Have you seen the white senegals with the black eyes. that's the one I would like to get. I think It's called platinum senegal. Nice pics. Gold dust is the best of the palmas complex. Thanks for sharing.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Dels and Sens are very active and a 12" wide tank would be a bit difficult to maneuver as an adult. But there are other footprint sizes.... you could look at a breeder base 36" x18".

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The gold dust came from The Wet Spot in Portland. It was pretty reasonable in price and was not advertised as a wild caught. I am not sure if they breed these captive or not.

KaraWolf

My dad had AN oscar. I loved him XDD course he also kept piranha before they were illegal and before I can remember sooooo....;)
future fish: Oscars, bichir, a giant RTS "colony" tank(breeding would be So Sweet but probably impossible), all irridesent/other silvery sharks are off because 4' is just 0.o blue rams, betta breeding? dwarf gourami(yay soon) annnd my husband will probably jump in the hobby at some point and try to get all the dangerous awesome-looking fish too. >> he wants to farm catfish in pools for eating. I think that's the problem he has with my current fish. none get big enough (and I'm too attached for) eating >.< BUT I have seen your videos your fishroom would be EPIC to tour!!

DDM123: oh duh! That would be perfect! not any bigger but better dimensions for bichirs XD

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My very first tank when I got back into the hobby was a 65g breeder. They are a bit hard to find and a 75g is more common.....

Well I did it.... I just ordered another bichir online. This guy will have to go into the 210g for sure when its bigger.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I did not want an aggressive one, so no ornate or endli...

I got something that is not that big.... well close

anthony

Nice ,I've seen an 18" weeksi before that thing was as big as the top part of a ball bat that's why I didn't get it . The guy told me it was the fastest grower he ever had. I'm missing that one! their head goes right into their body like a tree trunk neck. Aquabid, rebooth?? Nice choice definitely not very common .

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ebay - looks to be a guy who also sells on Aquabid also. Not cheap but $85 total with shipping for a 5"-6" one. Coming out of Salem Oregon.

The weeksii is said to be a more mild bichir out of the 'bigger' boys.