Duck lips treatment on cichlid

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
You dont see Regani around much. And from my research this fish should have the personality to fit my larger peaceful cichlid tank.

The treatment process is a bit extreme for sure but I guess I want to let people know that sometimes even the worst cases may be able to be brought back. I look back in hindsight to when (Over two years ago) I had lost my tank of fish to some horrible bug/parasite and if I would have done this hands on approach I think I could have possibly saved my fish. When a fish just stops eating, it usually seems to be the end. But this method of getting the meds in the fish seems to work. I hope to have inspired others to just try to think outside the box to treat these issues.

I should have mentioned about the little medicine syringe, it is available at your local pharmacy. Usually all you need to do is ask and they just give it to you. since I deal with big fish a standard silicone air tubing worked but you could even do this on smaller fish if you found the correct sized materials. In regard to the meds, of course you need to do your research as to what to use depending on symptoms but It seems the Seachem stuff in the small tubes works good because they give more detailed info in regard to putting it in a food mixture. Other products may be a bit trickier to get the right amount.

Will continue to keep you guys informed on the progress and keep pictures coming.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
When the fish is healthy it doesnt want to be held, so last night when I got the powerful tail flips and ended up drenched I knew I was on the right path. I have never tried this on small fish but it would work. Just need to get stuff sized down. I know you can find a small silicone tubing used for fuel lines and likely a smaller type syringe.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Sunday evening I did a water change and spread the gravel out and did the medicated food mix. Sure enough he dug a big hole out again. So he has function of his mouth for sure. Last night he got a food/vitamin/Epsom salt mix and did not thrash about too much. Tonight I will go ahead with my last Kanaplex/Focus treatment. This will include a 25% water change, and will continue with the salt treatment.

Did not see any poo yet so cant tell if its still white and stringy. I have had the heater unplugged during this treatment and the house temps have not got that low so the little thermometer has shown in the lower green for temperature. Will likely plug it back in Wednesday night and get the temp back up and see how he responds.

Been very happy with the results of his treatment. Will likely wait until I can get him to eat on his own before he goes in the 210g.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Saw him poo tonight and a bit of white, stringy followed by some normal stuff coming out.  :cheers: 

Only a fishkeeper or a new parent would be excited by poo!  :lmfao: 

Still has not got an appetite but actively digs after each time I gravel vac and spread it all back out.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So the fish looks well and digs a ton in the 40B. I was waiting for him to actually eat something in front of me but so far no sign of that. I put some floating pellets in the other day came back a few hours later and they were gone. So I dont know if he ate them or they sank into the gravel. I guess I will find out with my next gravel vac.

Not really sure how I should proceed.... Its been about 5 days since all treatment has stopped and I have seen no trace of stringy poo. I think he would do better in the 210g but I dont know if I should wait a little longer (maybe up to 10 days). He is not harming anything where he is and I dont need the tank for anything, he just looks so pathetic in the 40B. Any thoughts?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Try a slow sinking pellet or some frozen bloodworms..... If he eats, then that's awesome! I'd probably make sure he was completely healthy before unleashing porkchop on him :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 3mm sinking NLS I can try. I ran out of bloodworms but I tried a bit of frozen brine shrimp with no success.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I have some of the 1/2 sinking sd large cichlid pellets ( the green ones sink, the red float) I can give you some if you want!!! I currently don't have any bloodworms( haven't been out to buy them in a two weeks ) I also have some of the sinking veggie/ krill sd ( not the mini/nano stuff) let me know

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the offer Lloyd, but I have tons of Southern Delight still. Was trying small sized pellets (Hikari) just in case the fishes mouth was still a bit sore. I ran out of bloodworms and then I ended up getting all that cheap frozen food on clearance at Petsmart. I have really never had fish reject the bloodworms. I just need to pick some up.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Threw in a couple Southern Delight pellets along with some small Omega One and still not seeing the fish actively going after them. I had to leave for work so they were just floating in the tank with a few of the sinkers hitting the bottom.

The fish is apparently comfortable enough to dig and pile the gravel up so I cant see him but not to eat. The Regani is very calm and is not startled by my presence or scared of me. I just am looking for it to eat before moving him. I just need to get some frozen bloodworm.

dwarfpike

Yeah, I would want to see him eating before moving him back as well. There is a chance the competition might bring out his eating instincts, but at the same time he might not get any food in the big tank unless he's a more active eater.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The thing is I really dont know much about this fishes eating habits and what not because it was a newly acquired fish when I brought in in. I know it was being fed Southern Delight foods so I broke out some of that too. I know at times its a monkey see, monkey do thing with fish. My red bay snook took about three weeks to realize what the other fish were eating was food.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So I did find out the guy is a bit of a shy eater. I finally got some frozen bloodworms to try and have not seen any aggressive attempts at eating it. Still not sure if it is eating at all. I did a gravel vac and noticed a bit of food but also a bit of poo, so Im guessing it sneaks a bite now and then.

The thing loves to dig! I level out the gravel every time I clean and then he piles it up, so I chalk that up to healthy fish behavior.

I really cant base eating as being healthy or sick since I have pretty much have almost never seen one of my bichir eat and its doing well for many months now.

I think I might wait for the weekend and put him into the 210g. I will likely do it at night when lights are out so the fish can settle in. Just hope the Pearsei likes him.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
It is a sneaky little eater but Im pretty sure I got it interested in food.  :cheers: 

The bloodworms seem to work but I had forgot I had got some small earthworms that were sitting in a container in the fridge. The earthworms might have got it going since they were live and wiggling.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Last night I moved the Regani to its new home in the 210g. Since I knew it ate some earthworms on its own I felt it was time for the move. I did this in the dark and it went very quick and easy. So the fish had all night to settle in.

The big concern was how my big pearsei would take to the new fish. Well woke up to no problem from Porkchop at all. Couldnt care less. The problem came from the red isletas who was fixated on this new fish. It had already displayed its dominance and had the Regani backed into the upper corner of the tank but had to keep going at it and biting and attacking. So my morning began with netting the isletas and moving him to the 40B.

The red isletas was really never planned on as being in the 210g but it had done fairly well until the new regani came in. It will likely get the 72g bowfront back as its home once my heterospilus grow out.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So much for the pearsei being ok with the new fish. As soon as the light turned on it started chasing the regani. I turned off the lights and it mellowed out. I am going to leave the light off today and just see if porkchop will accept the new fish.