Duck lips treatment on cichlid

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I just acquired a new fish and it was sick. Symptoms? Mouth stuck open, light fin rot, stringy white poo
The diagnosis? a form of Columnaris
I thought I would document the process I am doing for any one else in the future who has this issue.

From my reading Ive got this info; the disease is  bacterial, and usually fatal
I think the fatality issue is related to the fact the fish in most cases can not eat and medicines in the water do not end up in the fish where they are needed. So my approach deals with both the external and internal treatment.

External:
Good clean water
Lower water temps to below 82 deg.
Add salt at 1 Tablespoon to 5 gallons water
Treat with Tetra Parasite Guard that contains metro which is effective on this (Others have used a metro and Furan combo)

Internal:
Get a food/medicine mix into fish
Meds include SeaChem Kanaplex and Seachem Focus
Also bit of Epsom salt / vitamins / garlic for an immune boost

So I have the externals in action. With the Tetra Parasite Guard it allows up to three treatments total with 48 hours in between each. 1 fizzy tab is used for each ten gallons of water. I have done the first treatment and will go through all three for sure.

Salt has been added at the correct ratio and temp has been lowered.

Here is where my treatment differs from most getting meds inside the fish. How is that accomplished? A baby medicine syringe a small amount of silicone air tubing.

I mix a medicated food mix which consists of frozen fish foods like Hikari krill (more ground consistency not whole), brine shrimp, mysis shrimp. Then I add regular fish foods that have been finely ground (or small fry food or flake), and the meds which in this case is Kanaplex and Focus, Boyd's vitamin, Seachem Garlic Guard and a touch of Epsom salt.

The trick lies in getting the right dose. You kind of have to guess at it a bit when reading the instructions because it is supposed to be a Tablespoon or so of product made up. I think my first treatment was a little light on meds but the one I do next will have a little bit more. With the Kanaplex it needs to be done every two days.

Then the fun comes, you have to catch the fish and pump this mess down its throat. Not too hard since the fish is in a 40B. I wear latex gloves and use a wet towel to hold the fish in place, otherwise the sharp fins can get you good. I find it best to put tank water in a bucket and work out of it. When putting the tube down the fish be gentle and you can kind of get a feel for where to stop. Pump the mix in slow and the fish will naturally gulp it down and swallow some of the mix. Put the fish back into the bucket for a little bit. It is normal to see a bit of regurgitation but the majority of your mix is in the fish. Return fish to the tank. You might again see a small amount of regurgitation but still ok.

I had an issue with my Pearsei years ago where she stopped eating and I was sure I was going to lose her. I had just dealt with a horrible loss of fish because of adding wild caught fish to an established tank without first quarantining. So I was a bit numb and doing a hard core force feed was not that hard, I figured once they stop eating its already dead. This treatment worked great and I have a big healthy Pearsei today, that some of you know as my Porkchop. So this method, while extreme seems to work. I think it would work great with internal parasite and use some prazi or Epsom salt.

Just to show you why I feel the treatment is worth doing... Here is my newly acquired fish, a Paraneetroplus regani (formerly Vieja regani)

Here is a pic of the mouth where it is starting to get the 'stuck open' part of the disease.

I will try and document this process and answer any questions. Hopefully it can help others. If anyone else has had to deal with Columnaris and has failed or succeed please add to this topic.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
This morning was not time to re-dose with meds but I did catch and pump a food/vitamin mix into the fish. This mix was just an immunity boost with just a little Epsom salt to deal with any internal parasites.

Tomorrow is a 25% water change and re-dose of Tetra Parasite Guard. This will be the time for a Kanaplex/Focus medicated food feeding.

cichlid-gal

I applaud you for giving this a real try at the treatments for your special fish.

I don't know anything about most of those but one question I would have would be giving the fish the epsom salts internally? I've heard of adding epsom salts to the water to help with dropsy, constipation and such but never giving epsom salts directly to the fish to eat. Just wondering about how that will work.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Epsom salt is extremely effective to treat hexamita and internal parasites
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?339364-Treating-Hexamita-aka-Spironucleus

I find it works better inside the fish as opposed to in the water, thats why my treatment includes it.

In the link above, it is used in a 3% mix with water and then pelleted foods are soaked in it and fed. I mix it into the food paste to pump into its tummy because the fish is not eating. So same method just different delivery system.

Madness

Staff member
Freshwater fish, though they live in the water, they do not drink it. So anything put into the water must be absorbed through the gills, and not much of that is done. Adding Kanamyacin will help with the absorption of the meds. We as humans use Epsom salts for constipation and to help clean out the intestinal track, it works in the same way with fish.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Kanamyacin or the Kanplex that I am using has proven very effective in these types of treatments. I choose to do it internally because a much smaller amount is used instead of treating the whole tank. Plus I have read a few things that say not to mix this with other medications. So I put this on the inside and use the parasite meds on the outside.

I hope this Regani pulls through, it is such a gorgeous specimen.  Would love to have it my my 210g with my Pearsei.

The fish has been pretty calm during its treatment. Still seems like it has the will to live so that is good!

Betty

Staff member
Good luck with the treatment. I hope you can save that pretty fish.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Its been 48 hours since the last treatment with meds. My morning began with a water change and then adding salt for the volume of new water going in. The tank was dosed with the second treatment of Tetra Parasite Guard.

The fish has had lots of white stringy poo. Mouth is still extended/open, but does not look worse. I decided to up the dose on the Kanaplex/Focus and Epsom salt in the feed mix. The instructions have you put 1 unit of Kanaplex in about 1 Tablespoon of food mix. Then the Focus is supposed to be added at a 5 to 1 ratio. The focus is just supposed to help the meds bind with the food so I did not use that much, probably more like 1 to 1. Its difficult to judge the effective dose when you are kind of guessing how much of this is ending up in the fish. The ideal treatment would be to weigh the fish and determine the amount of meds needed based on that, but no real at home treatment are designed that way. Im going with a good educated guess based on past treatment and response of other fish.

I really was surprised to see so much stringy poo. I was hoping to maybe see a bit of real poo from the force feeding coming through. I have my game plan for about a ten day treatment process. After that Im really not sure how to proceed. My last treatment with porkchop a couple years back showed good success at the ten day mark and the fish was eating again on its own. This one has the mouth issue which makes it hard to feed and unless it goes down I will have to continue the force feeding.

My wife and I leave for Portland tomorrow so I hope to get a food/vitamin boost into the fish before we leave. We have a friend staying over while we are gone who will keep me informed if anything changes. But I will be back on Sunday to do the final Tetra Parasite Guard dose and another medicated feed.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A little reading material:

Typical MFK... but good info on treatment
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-396268.html

Not a whole lot of info but just a nice thing to see that a fish most likely worse than mine made it
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=257508

Gave me some things to think about if I have to take it past ten days. The Tetra Parasite Guard is a nice cocktail to treat a varity of things and its ingredient list includes: Praziquantel, Diflubenzuron, Metronidazole and Acriflavin

I think if I dont see an improvement after the three treatments of this I am going to try just the Metronidazole treatment. I think at that point will also try Furan-2.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Today begins with another feeding of vitamin enriched food with no meds. Still a little Epsom salt in the mix. I had been using crushed flake food in my mix but today I decided to add a couple of ground up pellets. I have Hikari sinking carnivore that I use to feed by bichirs. This stuff seems to put size and weight on fish that eat it. It is basically a smaller version of their massivore delight. This is something I would not use as a regular staple for this type of fish but I think a higher calorie food might be a help since the Regani looks thin.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Funny you ask, I did my write up preparing the food mix and had not seen the fish yet. I look in on him and it appears the mouth has closed up a bit and looks closer to normal. Today he was not quite so passive when I was holding him to feed him his mix. He gave a pretty powerful tail flap but then settled in to let me get the food in him. I think I may be on the right track. Wont be able to see him until Sunday night when he gets his next treatment but the house-sitter will keep me informed if anything bad happens.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Update? And how about a new tread on your trip( fish you bought)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So I am home and what do I come home to?

Since the AC110 is on the other side of the tank and has not disturbed any rocks... It means he moved rocks. If he did that, it means he is using his mouth! Very good sign of getting better.

Now for the bad....

Still has lots of stringy white poo.

Tonight I do my final Tetra Parasite Guard treatment. I also am going to mix up the Kanaplex/Focus meds into his food. The directions say three treatments but I think his first was only like half a dose so I will give him one more medicated dose in two days.

So kind of a win to see the fish with its mouth shutting and that it move rocks around. Stringy poo still a concern.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Yep he is on the mend. Lots of attitude when I was trying to hold him to get the food/med mix into him. I ended up getting totally wet and he splashed me good. Tomorrow should be fun with his feeding if this batch of meds kicks in.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys for the words of encouragement.

I still feel like the stringy poo is an issue that says the fish still is having something going on inside that is not going well. I dont want to med it to death but do want to make sure to get whatever is causing this. So tonight I will give another meal that has Epsom and then tomorrow the last Kanaplex/Focus treatment.  I think I will continue the salt treatment for the duration of ten days and see if I need to go further with another round of metro....

Betty

Staff member
You're putting a lot of effort into saving him and I think that's awesome. Sure hope he gets well soon.