Does Pimafix work?

MorganEA

Does anyone have any experience with Pimafix? My ram has some cotton like fluff growing on his top fin, he's acting normal and has been eating.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Is this your newly acquired one? I would be checking with the store you got it from and ask what the policy on selling sick fish is. A new fish should not have to cost you in meds, just my 2 cents.

Madness

Staff member
Pimafix is about as good as Melafix, and in my opinion they are both very weak. I like Para Guard by Seachem. Mel and Pimafix will work, but I myself am not impressed. If that is all you have, by all means use it, with some salt and some good water changes.

MorganEA

I will call them but I would have to treat my tank anyway, I don't have a quarantine tank so my other fish might get it to.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Here is the thing I dont like about the products, they lower the oxygen levels in your tank. You need to increase aeration if you decide to treat with these products. Like madness said salt and water changes are an effective means to try first.

MorganEA

Ok ill add salt and increase my filter flow, I'm not very happy with this fish store :violent: first they have the fish mislabeled and now they have fungus...

Madness

Staff member
MorganEA said:
Ok ill add salt and increase my filter flow, I'm not very happy with this fish store :violent: first they have the fish mislabeled and now they have fungus...
Flow is not really your issue, you need to do a thorough gravel vac, under wood and ornaments, and change to fresh water. Increasing the flow wont do much, unless you are doing this to create more oxygen.

Madness

Staff member
MorganEA said:
yes to create more oxygen :)I did a 50% water change and vacuumed every nook this morning.
Vary nice, you sound like you are doing what you can. Good luck, you should see improvement soon. :spoton: 

MorganEA

Just thought I would update you guys :D  The cotton like stuff on his fin is smaller and he looks way happier today.

MorganEA

I thought the ram had kicked the fungus but now I found some on its tail.. No one else seems to be affected. I'm not sure if he will survive the treatment this time :evil: 

Madness

Staff member
It sounds like Lymph to me, and it is incurable. ITs like herpes, you always have it, and some things cause a flare up. Sometimes it goes away (but never gone) other times it never goes away and gets worse.

Lymph is the same way, if it gets to bad and spreads to the body of the fish, you may never be able to save it. Oh, and it is contagious. So before another fish gets weak enough to allow it to attack, you better remove that sick fish as soon as possible.

Madness

Staff member
Hmmm, is it like a pimple in the fin, or does it look like it is on the outside and attached to the fin