DIY PVC pleco caves with rocks

flamechica

These are really cool. My pleco would be all over that. I'm not breeding, but he/she likes to hide in dark places and never come out. I might have to consider making something like this. If I position it right in the tank, i would still be able to see him/her. Right now, the hiding place I have for him/her, there are places I can't see him/her at all for days or weeks on end.

flamechica

I rarely see it, but probably about 2.5-3inch. This is one of the FEW pics I have managed to get of it and that is only because I took the original "home" out of the tank because the paint had worn off the ceramic cave and looked tacky and replaced it with what you see in there...boy was he/she pissed at me for doing that though!

flamechica

Yeah, I will probably try to smaller tube. I honestly think what he/she cares most about is darkness over anything else, so as long as it is dark, he/she probably wouldn't care as much, since I am not breeding. I this his/her biggest issue with the newest "home" is that it has a fairly large hole in the top of it that lets a quite a bit of light in. The last cave had a hole in the top too, but not quite as big. If he/she had his/her preference, the tank lights would never be on. I have considered getting moonlights to see if that would allow me to see if he/she would be more comfortable coming out at night time and I would actually get to see him/her, since I am a night owl, but it's on the to-do list...

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
A nice light for this size of tank would be a Current USA Satellite basic. Its LED with blue lights for night. Not too spendy either.

flamechica

Thanks! I will look into it. I was kinda thinking of just adding the blue Leds separately as I replaced the hood on this tank about a year ago from the ancient style hood to this one that has a T5 in it (which was something else that pissed that pleco off. Lol), before I even knew they made led ones. The tank I am setting up currently, since it didn't come with a light, has an led on the way though. Pretty excited about it.